Jon Stewart, Bill Bennet, and Gay Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Stewart, Bill Bennet, and Gay Marriage

Here's a very entertaining clip of Bill Bennet on The Daily Show from earlier this week. It is mid-term election season, so of course it's time to feel threatened by homosexuals promising undying love and commitment to each other again...until about December. ;)

This is also a good example of why 'getting your news from The Daily Show' is not a bad thing. No other mass media organization calls a spade a spade like Mr. Stewart.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVMFqp6i5...0Bill%20Bennet
    Beatnik

Re: Jon Stewart, Bill Bennet, and Gay Marriage

I saw that when it came on TV. I did all but give JS a standing ovation :).

---

Comment

I loved that. He did a great job of showing that most people against gay marriage just put up all their arguments as a cover for their bigotry. I really think that if i am to respect anyone against gay marriage that i should also respect a racist simply on principle.

My brother has a good counter argument to anyone that says being gay is a choice. The radical christians that say its a choice say that its our free will, and its bad to act on any homosexual impulse someone might have. But, in the animal world where there isnt free will (according to their beliefs) there ARE gay animals. So obviously homosexuals arent choosing to be gay, they just are gay and according to their beliefs it was something God would have to have bestowed upon them.

As far as homosexuals adopting children, i dont have anything against it. Where else would those children go? Orphanages, unloving parents, or single parents. Assuming being raised by gays is a bad thing, it cant be any worse than those examples.

Comment

Jon Stewart is awesome. You'd think our society would have learned something about social progress from slavery, womens suffrage, and civil rights.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino
          Jon Stewart is awesome. You'd think our society would have learned something about social progress from slavery, womens suffrage, and civil rights.
          Yeah they touched on that earlier in the interview but for some reason that part wasn't included in the clip on youtube. I see it as a pure civil rights issue with obvious parallels to slavery, suffrage and civil rights on many levels.

But I see this whole constitutional amendment hullabaloo as pure political theater, designed to stir up the far right (evangelical) base. It was clear to everyone involved (i.e. all senators, the president and his staff, etc.) that the amendment has zero chance of being passed, but they decided to engage in a theatrical 'debate' on it before putting it to a preliminary vote (which obviously failed). All to bring up a previously successful wedge issue and create differences among Americans where none existed before. What's particularly scary is that 49 senators voted for it. In 2006.

Thank the gods for Jon Stewart. :)
          Last edited by Beatnik; 06-10-2006, 07:14 PM.
          Beatnik

Comment

Anyone else find it sad that our best political commentary comes from comedians?

Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, etc.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I actually was talking about this issue at lunch with one of my best friends and his boyfriend. They are both against the idea of gay marriage, but of course support companies extending insurance benefits to gay partners, etc. They simply have pretty conservative ideas about what marriage means, as do about 70% of the population and as has been affirmed in every state referendum in which the issue has been presented.

I have actually come around on this issue. The South Park episode in which the governor suggested that we can have "marriage" for straight people and gay people can have all the same rights but we'll just call them "butt buddies" did the trick.

So my suggestion would be to get rid of marriage as a legal status altogether. Two adults could enter into a civil union under the law, and religions can do whatever they please.

Also, I think it's unhelpful to call people bigots simply because they don't share your views on an issue. Typical liberal hyperbole. ;)

IMO the best political commentary out there is coming from South Park. And the Fox News panel. :D

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                I have actually come around on this issue. The South Park episode in which the governor suggested that we can have "marriage" for straight people and gay people can have all the same rights but we'll just call them "butt buddies" did the trick.

So my suggestion would be to get rid of marriage as a legal status altogether. Two adults could enter into a civil union under the law, and religions can do whatever they please.
                Yeah, I think that the majority of the disagreement over gay marriage is a matter of semantics. Too many christians think that it's invading a "sacred" institution.

Let's just call it a "civil union" or something and get it over with. It's only a matter of time before these so-called "christians" realize just how un-christlike they're behaving...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So my suggestion would be to get rid of marriage as a legal status altogether.
                  You've hit the nail right on the head.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    Yeah, I think that the majority of the disagreement over gay marriage is a matter of semantics. Too many christians think that it's invading a "sacred" institution.

Let's just call it a "civil union" or something and get it over with. It's only a matter of time before these so-called "christians" realize just how un-christlike they're behaving...
                    I don't think it's only christians who are opposed to this move. For example, I doubt there's strong support in the muslim community for gay marriage. I'm not aware of many religions who are falling over themselves to support this move. In fact, the only religions I've seen that *have* supported gay marriage have been some progressive Christian groups.

So I don't understand or appreciate your choosing to single out Christians in your comments. It seems like a lazy generalization. :)

Comment

They already do this in several European countries. Including FRANCE! Mon Dieu!
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Huh? Source? I'm not seeing this in my google efforts. Looks like they've introduced a civil union but also still have marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                          They already do this in several European countries. Including FRANCE! Mon Dieu!
                          I believe the correct term is sacre bleu!

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          |TG-2nd|munchkin
                          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I don't think it's only christians who are opposed to this move. For example, I doubt there's strong support in the muslim community for gay marriage. I'm not aware of many religions who are falling over themselves to support this move. In fact, the only religions I've seen that *have* supported gay marriage have been some progressive Christian groups.

So I don't understand or appreciate your choosing to single out Christians in your comments. It seems like a lazy generalization. :)
                            And I don't understand or appreciate it when christians try to portray the United States as a christian nation based on the fact that 75% of our population claims to be christian. It seems like a lazy generalization.

No, it's not just christians that oppose it, but I'd be willing to bet money that 99.999% of the people in the US that oppose gay marriage are christian.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Maybe. It's funny though because it occurred to me just a little while ago that I have attended several wedding cerimonies for gay friends and all of them have been Christian ceremonies.

You may be right that 99.999 % of the opponents are Christian, although I think you ought to be slightly more careful about painting with such a broad brush. However, you can look at this another way. Inside the Christian community, what is the % who support gay marriage? I bet it's around 30-40%. What's the % in the Muslim community, or the American polulation who do not identify themselves as being part of a religion?

My point is that I think you're making this a Christian vs. gay issue but I don't think that's accurate. It's society at large vs. a minority interest.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X