Spin Alley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin Alley

The following slight twist occured to me the other day - consider it a variant of the Irregardless and Dongle threads.

Post your favorite and/or most hated spin words here. It doesn't have to be necessarily left or right spin - just whatever word (or phrase, just so long as it's short) that you think is an attempt by one side to spin reality.

"War on Terror."

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Spin Alley

"Lockbox." :D

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap
      "Lockbox." :D
      I've said it in the other thread! "strategery"
      --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

"Culture of Corruption"
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

"Bad credit? No problem!"

Comment

"Queue Jumpers" and "Class Warfare"

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

"Tax relief"

"Personal Responsibility"
              Last edited by Steeler; 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

It's not a buzzword, but I love discussions about how much a tax cut will "cost" the federal government.

Comment

"Fair and Balanced"

Comment

Saving Social Security.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Enemy Combatants.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Death Tax
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                          "Personal Responsibility"
                          Ooh, I'd love to hear why you find this phrase to be "spin", as I feel that this is one of the fundamental differences between libertarians/conservatives and totalitarians/liberals.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

While personal responsibilty (lowercase) is an admirable value, one that you should encourage in your children and expect from any rational adult, Personal Responsibilty (caps) is frequently a code rationalization for a variety of domestic policies. In it's most innocuous form, it is used to justify stiffer criminal penalties and reducing domestic spending. But you can also hear the meme dropped to justify the elimation of Affirmative Action, welfare, labor laws, and abortion. Even the dismantling of critical government infrastructure (FEMA, for example).

It is a buzzphrase used to evoke an emotional rather than a logical response, making it spin. It is one of our older spins, too.

I find it interesting that you lump together liberals and totalitarianism, considering that personal freedoms and distrust of stagnant authority are paramount to most liberal ideology. But that's a discussion for another very tiring thread.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

"Miserable Failure"

Anyone remember this one? "Medicare, Medicaid, Education, and the Environment"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X