HP Lovecraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Lovecraft

I have no idea where this thread should go so the sandbox is porbably as good as any. Are there any Lovecraft fans at TG? I read around wiki alot and have stumbled onto him and well I am interested in the Cthulhu mythos but have no idea what the first book in that really is? Also would you recommend any of his other non Cthulhu work and if so which ones?

Edit: Great now I am interested in that Cthulhu game that was released on the PC recently. Now if I can find 50 dollars. (Must resist need World Cup team jerseys.)
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: HP Lovecraft

The Cthulhu mythos extends well beyond Lovecraft into it's own entity, however the core work is of course The Call of Cthulhu. I think if you want to go specifically into Cthulhu you need to read the Derleth stuff, but I never found that very interesting.

As for other Lovecraft, Shadow Over Innsmouth and Color Out of Space are both good. A lot of his short stories are particularly creepy, but they are scattered throughout various collections so you're best off exploring those on your own. (Visit your local library - no, seriously!) The Dunwich Horror is one to look for.

A friend of mine once complained that the stories didn't scare him, what was the big deal? But then one morning weeks later he looked really really haggard. I asked him what was wrong and he said that he couldn't sleep - he was having nightmares of cyclopean monstrosities oozing across time and space. Yeah, that's about right.

If you are into paper RPGs, the Call of Cthulhu game has been a faithful companion to Lovecraft's books and is a compelling read in it's own right, although I prefer the older Chaosium version to the D20 adaptation. The core book also includes part of the original Cthulhu short story.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

^^^^Alright I am gonna get the Call of Cthulhu first and if I like it I will work from there. Is it a long read?
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

It's a short story. I think the current incarnation is The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

I will be hitting BN soon and see if they have it. I gotta hurry though with the World Cup on. (The WC is like a time sink I can't do anything. I am up at like 7 or 8 am and at 8:55 until 5pm it is nothing but WC for me. Then I have to get to slseep around 10-11pm so I can wake up early for the Cup.)

I am impressed that your friend has nightmares about it. I guess it touchs on more of a subconcious cord then a concious one. (Probably depends on the person.) The themes of his work (atleast the one wiki mentions) are what draws me to it.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

I started with The Lurker at the Threshold. August Dereleth picked up the manuscript when Lovecraft died. I think it is one of the nests books to read to be introduced to the mythos. There used to be a complete HP Lovecraft library online, with his entire works of fiction, but that was taken down a couple of years ago. I keep kicking myself for not keeping some of the pdf's. I highly recommend The Lurker at the Threshold. It's a fantasic introduction!
            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Alright I just got home. I have the latest issues of Maximum PC and PC Gamer. I also bought the Best of Politicially Incorrect and The Call of Cthulu and other weird stories. Lots of reading to do with not enough time and I spend some of my world cup jersey fund.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Want to buy an original H.P. Lovecraft grave rubbing? He is buried here in Rhode Island in Swan Point Cemetary. I've been there many many times.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

^^^^How much? ;)
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

I dunno, whatever it would cost me to ship it to you. Next time I'm up that way I'll bring some paper and charcoal.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I just found this thread, and I am a HUGE Lovecraft fan!

First of all, Apo, i gotta get one of those rubbings please, please, PM me with how much you want for one.

a few o my favorite Lovecraft stories are:

"the Shadow Over Innsmouth" of course
                      "the Whisperer in the Darkness"
                      "the Dunwich Horror" and
                      "Pickmans Model"

If you like his stuff you could also check out Robert Bloch. Hes another Cthulhu mythos writer
                      along with some other writers like Clive Barker and Joe r Lansdale

Ive been reading the Lansdale a lot recently (hes a contemporary writer) and his style of down-home wierdness really goes well with the lovecraft style.

Comment

I've never read one of his books. I may get into them after getting through some others. But I heard that the video game Call of Cthulhu has interesting ideas, but is largely flawed, and turns into a shooter later.

Comment

^^^^Yes. I am more concerned with the difficulty. I love hard games and all and I wish games were a hard as they were back in the day but at the same time I buy so many games I really need to keep moving as fast as possible.

I didn't get much time to read today. I am still trying to get dual layered DVDs to work. (SL ones seem fine.) I did get to read some of the introduction.

BTW I noticed something. I need to blame this all on George Lucas. I fell in love with reading because of Star Wars Episode 3. I noticed that reading was fun a long as you read things that interest you. :)

I think instead of focusing on half time and posting about the games I will just get reading in between halves and the next game. The Call of Cthulu is so far into the book though. I don't mind too much though dark storylines attach me like a black hole.

Edit: How did you find out about Lovecraft? I do alot of reading on wiki and my main topic of interest right now is Warhammer (fantasy and 40k) and one of the wiki articles mentioned Lovecraft and I clicked on it and was impressed by what I saw. Actaully there is a Real Ghostbusters episode called "The Collect Call of Cthulu." It was interesting going back to watch it today and seeing all the references to Lovecraft's stories in addition to seeing Cthulu/his cult/his ummm spawns for lack of a better word.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                            Want to buy an original H.P. Lovecraft grave rubbing? He is buried here in Rhode Island in Swan Point Cemetary. I've been there many many times.
                            Oh wow!... I'd love one
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X