Test your hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test your hearing

Sorry if this has been posted, I did a search and couldn't find it.

http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

Good stuff here, and being the prankster that I am, I used this to it's full extent :D Basically, I can't hear anything over 15kHz. However, my group has a bunch of young guys (early to mid 20's) as well as coops who might be around 20-21. We were all in a meeting when I played the "sample 2" mp3 file. I had tested it previously and knew I couldn't hear it. I do have good hearing so my assumption was that my boss and the other old guys in the group wouldn't hear it.

My assumption was correct :icon26:

Man, you should've seen the younger crowd freaking out. To sit and watch them look around and say "What is that noise?!?!?!?" while plugging their ears was a riot! I probably played it 5 or 6 times throughout an hour long meeting, no one could figure out what it was. Of course, afterwards I sent them an email telling them what that sound was.....they were pissed :D

So, if you work in a cubicle farm, have some fun and crank this through your speakers (especially if you can't hear it).

Enjoy!

Re: Test your hearing

I'm 24 and that is a really damn annoying sound.

And seriously after what I've put my ears through, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to hear that.

Comment

33 and I hear it, which is amazing because I worked in radio for several years as a DJ with studio headphones on for hours at a time.

Comment

There are more to listen to downbelow...you can find your limit.

Comment

I can hear 22,000Hz and anything below that but nothing above.

I heard the musquito thing in the first sound clip too.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
            There are more to listen to downbelow...you can find your limit.
            15khz. I'm 49.

Not bad, considering I played in a rock band for a few years (many years before ear plugs were the thing...)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I can hear the 17k. Kind of the 18k, but not really. 25 years.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...-you-hear.html

3rd page.

I did something similar to this, but not an actual range of hearing :P

Comment

I can hear them all. 17

Comment

I hear both samples and 18k easily but not 19k. I'm 25.
                    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I hear 22k barely. Nothing above that. Everything below that. I'm 25.

Comment

To accurately test the range of your hearing you need to participate in a blind test.

That is, the equipment (headphones) is tested and accurately produces the desired sinusoidal frequencies with a SNR of at least 6dB at a standardized magnitude (typically 1.2-1.3V); playback is without noise (no voltage pops or twerps, crosstalk is less than -125 dB); tones are not produced in ascending or descending order as to conditionally create a false positive; and most importantly: you are not the person pushing tone-on button. These conditions (and there are more of them) are generally met when you take hearing tests. You know, the ones you did in school...

I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to hear a pure tone @ 25 kHz on equipment that can produce it with fidelity. In fact, I would bet against it. A lot of money.

However, 20 - 22 kHz is not unheard of.

Hehe, puns.
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

18kHz, and I'm an 18 year old concert-going metalhead who suffers from tinnitus due to a bad ear infection.

Edit: Doesn't this also depend on the capabilities of your audio setup? I doubt that cheaper soundcards/speakers would be capable of producing extremely high frequency sounds.

Comment

I can hear the 19,000 sample, and heard both of the samples that were provided. I hate those mosquito repellent things- I can always hear them, and they are incredibly annoying.

27yo female, fwiw.

Edit- I just had my 9 year old son try this also. I had him turn around, so he wouldn't see when I pressed play. He also heard the 19,000 sample, and no higher.

Comment

I'm 18, don't play in a band or go to concerts, and the highest I can hear is 17,000 :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X