Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fcc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fcc...

    What do you all think about the new FCC guidelines? Are they good for us or bad? Why?


    *EDIT: I would post a link to the guidelines themselves, but they arent any "laid in stone" so to speak. Meaning, there is none. Its whatever they find "blatantly inflammatory, seditious and obscene".
    Last edited by _Ender_; 03-04-2004, 07:23 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Fcc...

    Originally posted by _Ender_
    What do you all think about the new FCC guidelines? Are they good for us or bad? Why?


    *EDIT: I would post a link to the guidelines themselves, but they arent any "laid in stone" so to speak. Meaning, there is none. Its whatever they find "blatantly inflammatory, seditious and obscene".
    Haven't heard of any new guidelines...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Fcc...

      Thats the point, there are no guidelines. Its whatever they feel is "blatantly inflammatory, seditious and obscene"... you dont see a problem with that? They're telling us what we can and cant watch on tv, or listen to on the radio. We're adults for christs sake, shouldnt we be able to make that choice for ourselves?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Fcc...

        Originally posted by _Ender_
        They're telling us what we can and cant watch on tv, or listen to on the radio. We're adults for christs sake, shouldnt we be able to make that choice for ourselves?
        Hmmm.... Well, they don't control what you can watch or listen to. They control what is broadcast publicly. They were formed in order to regulate the use of certain frequencies. They work hand in hand with similar agencies all over the world to make sure that there's only one station located at 108.7 Mhz broadcasting with a certain power in a certain area.

        I do have a problem with their idea of attaching moral judgements to their power. I'm not sure if it's a statutory authority granted by congress, or if they just started doing it and haven't been challenged, though...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Fcc...

          The FCC has been issuing fines for years dude, so is not power they just had, its power they have always had.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Fcc...

            It is a violation of federal law to broadcast obscene or indecent programming. The prohibition is set forth at Title 18 United States Code, Section 1464 (18 U.S.C. 1464). Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission the responsibility for administratively enforcing 18 U.S.C. 1464. In doing so, the Commission may issue a warning, impose a monetary forfeiture or revoke a station license for the broadcast of obscene or indecent material.

            Obscene Broadcasts Prohibited at All Times

            Obscene speech is not protected by the First Amendment and cannot be broadcast at any time. To be obscene, material must meet a three-prong test: (1) an average person, applying contemporary community standards, must find that the material, as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest; (2) the material must depict or describe, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by applicable law; and (3) the material, taken as a whole, must lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. See Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15 (1973).
            From here .

            Very interesting stuff.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Fcc...

              What I want to know is who deems what as obscene?

              Comment


              • #9
                Re: Fcc...

                Originally posted by _Ender_
                What I want to know is who deems what as obscene?
                Well, the FCC does. And if it's challenged, then it has to meet the requirements that luna posted in order to not be overturned.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                Comment


                • #10
                  Re: Fcc...

                  http://www.quicken.com/investments/n...r&column=P0DFP


                  Its starting...


                  The problem is Dave, the FCC changes those requirements whenever they see fit. So today it could be one thing, and then tomorrow it could be something completely different. Then of course they go back and fine you. I'm listening to Howard right now (thats how I know he got fined). According to him, the FCC had to go back 3 years to find anything on him to fine him for. They changed they're requirements, and then go back to see if they were broken, if so they issue a fine based on that. How fair is that? Thats like playing a game were the rules always change based off of how good you're doing.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Re: Fcc...

                    Originally posted by _Ender_
                    What I want to know is who deems what as obscene?
                    anything with nipples in it and you lot cry..... seems you dont like seeing female flesh...maybe your more muslim than you think :icon19:
                    From Adam Webb

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Re: Fcc...

                      Originally posted by _Ender_
                      Its starting...


                      The problem is Dave, the FCC changes those requirements whenever they see fit. So today it could be one thing, and then tomorrow it could be something completely different. Then of course they go back and fine you. I'm listening to Howard right now (thats how I know he got fined). According to him, the FCC had to go back 3 years to find anything on him to fine him for. They changed they're requirements, and then go back to see if they were broken, if so they issue a fine based on that. How fair is that? Thats like playing a game were the rules always change based off of how good you're doing.
                      They didn't really change their requirements, they just didn't enforce them as much 3 years back. Slight difference there.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Re: Fcc...

                        Originally posted by Overlag
                        anything with nipples in it and you lot cry..... seems you dont like seeing female flesh...maybe your more muslim than you think :icon19:
                        You're confusing muslim with puritan...

                        It is funny, however, to see so many similarities between islam and christianity and yet so much hatred... But that's another thread... :p
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Re: Fcc...

                          yeah the irony is great

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Re: Fcc...

                            Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            You're confusing muslim with puritan...

                            It is funny, however, to see so many similarities between islam and christianity and yet so much hatred... But that's another thread... :p
                            That would be because Islam and Judaism come from a common patriarchal (almost misogynist) monotheistic source, diverging before Christianity broke away from Judaism. There are stories common to both the Qu'ran and the Old Testament (they're a little hard to spot because I don't think the Qu'ran is chronological the way the Bible is). One theory is that Abraham's unfairly evicted son Ishmael (by Hagar) is allegorical for the early rift between Islam and Judaism.

                            Now, you want to talk Hinduism or the pantheon of ancient Egypt, then you're actually comparing religions that have been different for all of written history. ;) I think.

                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X