US may intercept N.Korea missile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US may intercept N.Korea missile

Report from the Washington Times indicates the U.S. has activated its missile defense system with plans to intercept North Korea's nuclear test missile if they launch it.

Two Navy Aegis warships are patrolling near North Korea as part of the global missile defense and would be among the first sensors that would trigger the use of interceptors, the officials said yesterday.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...3010-4554r.htm

What better to prove the systems worth than the real thing?
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: US may intercept N.Korea missile

I think NK better be careful because they are coming very close to Japan, and i dont think Japan would respond very friendly if one of those things goes off coarse. Then again, they shoot one toward those US navy ships and we might not respond very nicely.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Their last test shot was actually fired right over Japan, and landed in the Pacific on the other side. And indeed, Japan was not very happy--but there wasn't exactly a lot they could do about it.

This time though, there may be something we can do about it. It would actually be quite impressive if we shot down their test launch.

We've got short range missile interception systems that work quite well already, its just the long-range ones that have presented so many technical problems. So if they happen to shoot right over the head of one of our AEGIS ships, I'd say that missile's going down.

Comment

I guess instead of wasting our tax dollars on tests, lets waste theirs. Another also by putting those ships there it shows our reach and abilities. I wonder if any subs are flanking those cruisers?
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Should we be worried about North Korea's response to our response to them launching a missle?

Comment

Sure would be embarrassing if our interceptor missle went off course and slammed into Japan while we were trying to shoot down NKs.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bodofooko
              Sure would be embarrassing if our interceptor missle went off course and slammed into Japan while we were trying to shoot down NKs.
              I thought the Aegis cruiser's tag line was: guaranteed on time delievery or you are too dead to complain. :row__577:

Comment

Lets hope there are no, er, incidents with passing airliners...
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

$20 says the US can't intercept it. We probably won't even try. Our controlled tests in which the missile's flight path is predetermined and the target carries radar signature inscreasing materials barely work - if they work at all. It's like trying to hit a needle with a needle.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I'm sure they'll try if they feel like running a field test. I'm also sure that if it works, we'll be hearing all about it, and if it fails, well then they never tried in the first place. ;)

As for an NK response it's not very likely. Once the missle leaves the airspace directly over NK there's no argument against us for taking a shot at it.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Hold on boys, Dick's got this one!

Comment

AMosley wins.
                        In game handle: Steel Scion
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                          $20 says the US can't intercept it. We probably won't even try. Our controlled tests in which the missile's flight path is predetermined and the target carries radar signature inscreasing materials barely work - if they work at all. It's like trying to hit a needle with a needle.
                          Thats with the long-range stationary-launch-platform interceptors. We have had much better success with short-range mobile-launch platforms, theres just the small problem that they already have to be in roughly the same place the missile is aimed. AEGIS is one of those systems, PATRIOT is another, and the Phalanx CIWS is an even shorter range but even more accurate one.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                            AMosley wins.
                            Indeed...good stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

If you're intercepting a missile near the target area, it's far more likely that the warhead may hit at or near it's intended target despite a succesful interception. We saw this occur in the first Gulf War; Iraq's SCUD is intercepted by a Patriot missile, yet still falls in a city and detonates. If the missile were tipped with a chemical or nuclear warhead, the "target area" becomes even larger; if a missile is aimed at downtown Seattle but deviates 20 miles in a random direction, well, we're not really that much better off - especially when you consider the case of North Korean ballistic missiles, which are probably not very accurate in the first place. For all we know, we'd be knocking it back on it's intended course!

Even in the Gulf War, where the target areas were relatively known (populated areas within the small country of Israel, allied troop concentrations) and the trajectories lower, there is no hard evidence of a single succesful interception. Even the cases in which the PATRIOT was touted to have worked, a number which shrunk considerably as scrutiny was turned to the interception system after the Gulf War, the SCUD warheads still detonated. They just missed their targets - landing in the suburubs, rural areas or open desert instead of the city center.

The technology has come a long ways since the PATRIOT made it's combat debut in the Gulf War, but we're still not at the point where we can intercept strategically targetted ICBMs with a reasonable expectation of success.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X