X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They also made #2 - Clerks 2 that is!

Remember these guys?

Well, they're back...

That's right! As a teaser to another highly-anticipated movie this summer (See Beatnik's Jackass 2 thread), I'm happy to call attention to the upcoming release of Clerks 2 (July 21).

For me, the original Clerks is an absolute all-time comedy classic. It's probably the movie that I've quoted more than any other (well, maybe just behind Raising Arizona, Office Space, and Moonstruck - yes, Moonstruck. It's an awesome movie -- deal with it!). Clerks debuted right after I graduated from College before I found a job. I completelty associated myself with the angst of being a twenty-something who hated his job, brought plotlines from Star Wars into everyday life, and was concerned about how many...uh..."intimate encounters" my girlfriend had had with other guys before she met me (she's now my wife - so shut it!).

I thought Kevin Smith was an absolutely brilliant director who pulled off a low-budget blockbuster. However, apart from Chasing Amy, I found his work after Clerks to be sub par. I'm hoping that by returning to his roots, Clerks 2 will be just as much of a classic that the original is. Coincidentally, Clerks 2 opens on the day I get back to the U.S. for vacation so there is a good chance that the theater may be one of my first stops after the airport.
    LoyalGuard

Re: They also made #2 - Clerks 2 that is!

I'm going to watch this day it comes out. I'm sure it won't match clerks, but hopefully some of the magic will be there was the original. I can't wait.

Comment

This is the only movie I have been really looking forward to for awhile now. I will be there opening night.

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard
        I thought Kevin Smith was an absolutely brilliant director who pulled off a low-budget blockbuster. However, apart from Chasing Amy, I found his work after Clerks to be sub par.
        What? DOGMA! HELLLLLOOOOOOO! Dogma. Geessh. A better movie about the Roman Catholic Church has not been made. It's almost as good as Monty Python's Life of Brian, and that is high praise.

Three Words: The Buddy Christ.

Comedy gold.

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard
          I thought Kevin Smith was an absolutely brilliant director who pulled off a low-budget blockbuster. However, apart from Chasing Amy, I found his work after Clerks to be sub par. I'm hoping that by returning to his roots, Clerks 2 will be just as much of a classic that the original is.
          I have high hopes, but am keeping my expectations low. I have a signed Clerks poster in the living room of my apartment actually, but I've liked each movie less and less since Clerks. Hopefully this will be a return to the dialog-heavy, fart joke-heavy, '37'-filled heydey of the original Clerks.
          Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Mateo
            What? DOGMA! HELLLLLOOOOOOO! Dogma. Geessh. A better movie about the Roman Catholic Church has not been made. It's almost as good as Monty Python's Life of Brian, and that is high praise.

Three Words: The Buddy Christ.

Comedy gold.
            You lucky lucky bastard! What I would give to be spat at in the face. That's bloody favoritism, that is.

Any comparison is blasphemy.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I enjoyed mallrats quite a bit.

Comment

@Mateo-

Dogma was ok, but nowhere near the quality of Clerks.

@Beatnik-

My initial reaction was also to have low expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. But, after watching the internet exclusive trailer (**Warning - Explicit language**) I couldn't help but get pumped up.

@Undead-

Mall Rats had a lot of potential but it seemed too manufactured. There is still a lot of great subtle/accidental humor but some of it was unnecessarily artifical as well.
                Last edited by loyalguard; 06-23-2006, 10:20 PM.
                LoyalGuard

Comment

I see what your saying about mallrats, I agree now that I think of it. Clerks did feel natural.

Comment

Yes We"re All Different!
                    I'm not.

But yeah, dogma was pretty good. Im hoping Clerks 2 will satisfy.

Comment

I love Dogma. Dogma is one of those movies that I can watch over and over again without it getting old. It's also awesome because my Catholic mother absolutely loves it too, and she always says that the movie taught her things about her faith the church never did. :)
                      --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

The NY Times has a semi-review of the movie in their arts page today. The reviewer is obviously a fan, but his review of Smith's career is pretty spot on (Dogma is underrated, Jersey Girl blew, Kev is funny with the right irreverant humor, and falls flat with 'sincerity', etc.), and his review of Clerks 2 essentially comes down to "It's Smith doing what he does best" and proclaims him returning to the form of Clerks. Very promising news. :D
                        Beatnik

Comment

I love Clerks, and Chasing Amy is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the rest of his output isn't so great. I'll definitely see this, unless it gets totally pounded by critics.

Comment

Dogma is one of those movies you watch...and then you don't remember much else because you laugh so hard you have to be taken to the hospital and put on the respirator. Clerks was great but Dogma was on it's level AND it has one of the best casts I've ever seen in a film.

Edit: Just watched trailer...EXCITED EXCITED EXCITED OMFG. I FORGOT HOW GOOD CLERKS WAS.
                            -Zephyr
                            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                            We are not a single game.
                            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I thought Smith promised to retire those characters after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X