Sick of this republican congress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of this republican congress

Granted, the 'definition of marriage' act appears to have weak popular support in America right now, so therefore it was a fairly logical political move for the republican owned congress to put an amendment to vote a few weeks ago in what essentially amounted to a wake up call to American voters in a midterm election year.

But flag burning? I'm curious, how many peope in these forums see the domestic health of the flag in jeapardy? How many believe that a constitutional amendment banning flag-burning is actually contradict the very freedoms that the flag and constitution represent?

I am sick of this republican congress. They have far better and more important things to do in the capitol than this.

Re: Sick of this republican congress

leejo the prophet: : http://www.tacticalgamer.com/494524-post23.html

Originally posted by The Man
    I'm wary of election year legislation in general, and of far-reaching election-year legislation in particular. Let's debate whether or not to allow flag burning or gay marriage and let these humongous corporations fend for themselves.
    Look, it's an election year. Nobody in Congress wants to actually DO anything because it might hurt them. These are safe debates that appeal to both sides' constituencies. Just do your yob, esse. It'll be over by summer's end and we can enjoy the mudslinging phase.

Comment

I read an article a few years back that stated something along the lines of 80% of American's think flag burning should be illegal. Thankfully, the Supreme Court upheld the right of the minority. These days.... I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        Look, it's an election year. Nobody in Congress wants to actually DO anything because it might hurt them. These are safe debates that appeal to both sides' constituencies.

Safe debate? Since when is ammending the constitution a safe debate? If these guys really want to do nothing, then go home and do nothing! Ammend the constitution because you don't want to do anything of importance? Where's the sense in that? Republicans talk about patriotism and honor, yet abusing constitutional amendments in order to create votes is disrepectful to say the least.

Yep, you called it alright. That goes to show how easy it is to predict these guys' gameplan these days. Also goes to show how much of a complete loser the democratic party is - you can see what's down the road, but still can't come up with a good strategy. It's a wonder that the republicans even feel they need to do anything about the elections running up against such deadbeats.

Why not get to work on what republicans are supposed to know best - cutting back on big government, getting uncle sam out of our daily lives. Hell, go back to work on the estate tax again. Anything! How is adding more restrictions on free speech now tied in to the republican line?

I hate Orin Hatch (the jackoff that introduced this latest assault). Always have, always will. Him and his looney tunes ties. Looney tunes is right, buddy! I personally can't wait until America plays the "bleepety bleepety bleep.. That's all, Folks!" on him.

Comment

Ok settle down Francis. Put the coffee down. Step away from the 24 hour news cycle. It's election year politics, and it's the same thing every time no matter who is in control of congress. If democrats were in power they'd be talking about some similarly inane, pointless, safe topic.

Comment

Name one.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

So you are in-support of flag burning? My stance on that whole issue. Millions of people have died to make sure our flag is kept free. I could walk into any country and see a flag. But to see the red white and blue makes a guy feel safe and secure, forget politics. I see others burning our flag and i have to turn the channel, its disrespectful. Alls i have to say on that subject, the first i see burning my flag, will get hit so hard.

Yeah i get it, its freedom of speech but you gotta draw the line someplace, if not the flag where would it stop. The media is so out of control as it is.

Illegal immagration- our boarder would be so open, it would be worse then now
              Raise taxes
              UN would be in control of more then they already are
              Liberman would be dead cause people would get sicker then they al ready are of hearing him
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

IMO...

My (natural) father died serving this country under our flag in Vietnam...
                My Grandfather served this country under our flag during WW2...

I served in the Army for 10 plus years under the US flag, (and remember being trained to respect and defend it.)

I now serve my community, under the US flag, just passing 10 years...

So, for 20 plus years I've served my country under my flag... I feel I have the right to defend that flag if anyone is burning it or desecrating it, and I can only hope to find someone burning the US flag in front of me, I will defend it.

That said, I am a proud Republican, even thou I agree they have been screwing up big time the last couple of years, but the Democrats are no better, All I ever hear from Democrats is bitching and complaining, I never hear there ideas, my belief... if you don't have a better plan, then shut the hell up.

Thats why I think Kerry lost, he bitched good, but had no plan... I'm a diehard Republican, but if a Democrat lays out a better plan, I will support it.
                Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                  I see others burning our flag and i have to turn the channel, its disrespectful. Alls i have to say on that subject, the first i see burning my flag, will get hit so hard.
                  Bear in mind that any law or amendment making flag burning illegal only applies to American citizens. This amendment has no bearing on the people you see burning the flag on your TV, which is one more reason why it is pointless.

Just like so many of these idiotic debates, the repubs would have you believe that any opponent of a gay-marriage ban or a flag burning ban means they must be pro-gay marriage or pro-flag burning. Not true. I don't want to burn the flag, but I don't want my government telling me what I can or can't do with it.

Can I pass a law requiring that all of Orin Hatch's disney neckties must be burned, preferably while he is wearing them?

Edit addition: congress should honor what that flag stands for by not ammending the contitution to further limit and restrict the lives of American citizens.

Comment

Dislike both parties. Dem and Repub. I think it is like watching Professional Wrestling on Cable. It is just a well orchestrted political fight. The eclection year is like summer slam. Just like in the 70s and 80s when people saw that wrestling was not for real, they will see that these two parties have agreed to destroy any other parties from getting started and just B.S. around to stay in power.
                    However, it all depends on were your prorities are.
                    My priorities are on preventive health care, taking responsibility for your actions, and improving the self-reliaze of the individual. As you can see, Congress and the Feds are not into this at all. (for the last 80 years)

With the flag. What is to be the law and all the rules with this admendment. Will someone need to get a permit to give a soiled flag a proper burning? Will there be laws against flags that are rained on and left out to become soiled in the environment? How do know if someone is burning a flag out of respect or disdain?
                    I mean if most of the flags were made in Americia and not in China i would give this issue more thought.
                    Symbolism is in the eye of the beholder. What you feel about a country is in the heart of the beholder.
                    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                    Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

i agree i want less government to. But its a sad sad day in this country when the government has to make a law to stop people from burning our national treasures. I think as long as we are alive this is how goverment is gonna be. A bunch of spoiled jack holes who want to waiste other peoples money.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                        Ok settle down Francis. Put the coffee down.
                        How did you know I was drinking coffee today? Domestic wiretapping? Illegal surveillance?

Comment

Wrestling isn't real?
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

niether is congress
                            -Vulcan

Comment

I don't find that my views are really supported by either party: in fact, I am hard pressed to find a difference in the rhetoric when you boil it all down. Sure, on the outskirts of the Republican or Democratic parties there are significant differences, but really, they are the kooks that noone listens to. In the center, were most of us are, the political vocabulary is different, but the net result is the same: protecting big business, and supporting the status quo. There is really only one party.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X