Yum, fried chicken genitals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yum, fried chicken genitals?

I feel that most Americans are prudes when it comes to food. They view certain foods that taste perfectly fine as disgusting and waste portions of food that can be used to make some tasty dishes. Please convince me otherwise by posting the 'strange' things you've eaten. I'll start:

fried chicken testicles - tastes like chicken fat w/ a somewhat grainy texture

bee larvae (alive and squirming) - crunchy, then squishy and taste like honey

deepfried scorpions - slightly bitter potato chips

raw squid/octopus - kinda tasteless

sea cucumber - tasteless, texture similar to jello

stinky tofu - smells like crap (since it's marinated in 6mo old veggie and shrimp brine) but tastes good

stuffed pork/beef intestines - unique texture due to the villi, some parts are crunchy
    fish eyeballs - tastes like fish fat

birds nest soup - bird saliva + birds nest, slightly sweet but otherwise tasteless

thousand-year-old eggs - they're not really that old, but they are preserved in ash and salt for about 100 days

jellyfish - tasteless

pig blood sausage - hard to describe

squid jerky - better than beef jerky

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Re: Yum, fried chicken genitals?

I've never ate anything all that crazy.

In greece I ate some small crabs whole. The shell tasted a bit like popadoms and the inside was like....crab.

Comment

Ostrich is the furthest I've gone with food. Pretty bland taste and it was quite expensive for the portion. At least I didn't pay, it was picked up by a client. :)

Comment

Yeah the craziest I've gotten is ostrich (good - more like steak than chicken for sure), buffalo (a little more gamey than steak, but still outstanding), and venison.

Oh, and all the things that come in sausage, which I don't want to think about... ;)
        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino
          ....birds nest soup - bird saliva + birds nest, slightly sweet but otherwise tasteless....
          Not just any bird. It is the saliva of a "Swifts", those can be super expensive.

Swifts nest, made from the saliva of swallows in their nests, is the best of food for nourishing your health which is trusted by the Chinese for thousands years ago. In the past itís believed that itís the food for children, woman and old man who fall into decline but now itís found that its quality has a benefit for all.

Type of Birdís Nest
          1. Red birdís nest
          This is the most expensive of any type of birdís nest. Itís believed that its color come from birdís blood which is spitted out for make its nest but actually that red color come from the environment of island where birds make their nest.

2. White birdís nest or Island birdís nest
          Good white birdís nest should have a light yellow color which is called ďgolden silk birdís nestĒ, clean and thick. This type is the most popular in Thailand.

3. Black birdís nest
          This is unpurified birdís nest, it has birdís hair contaminate in birdís nest too much. Its quality and price are lower than both types above.

4. Home birdís nest
          This is birdís nest of swallows which make their nest along the eaves of home. It has white color, small and thin. The price is cheaper than natural birdís nest.
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Way back when, my folks were in this whole rotation diet thing. There was a minor cult around this idea: having the foods once per day helped with food allergies, increased your longevity, etc.

Ok, now that the stage has been set: there was one person that my Mom knew that had food allergies that spiralled out of control-She couldn't eat any grains, just protiens and vegies (sounds like Atkins/South Beach, right?), but since she was into this rotation thing, she could only have foods once per week.

So she got desperate for variety, and had: snake, alligator, turtle, buffalo, ostrich, rabbit, venison, elk, goat, lamb, beef, chicken, grouse, pheasant, etc....I tried all of those, and most of them were good.

That is, until she decided to get beaver (the kind that builds dams-get your mind out of the gutter!): oily, nasty meat-even fresh, it tastes like rotten meat. I can't believe that anything could taste that bad.

Oh, while we are at it: Kimchee, the older the better. Fantastic!

Comment

Dog. I didn't care for it...kinda tough, reminded me a bit of buffalo.
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                Not just any bird. It is the saliva of a "Swifts", those can be super expensive.

Swifts nest, made from the saliva of swallows in their nests, is the best of food for nourishing your health which is trusted by the Chinese for thousands years ago. In the past itís believed that itís the food for children, woman and old man who fall into decline but now itís found that its quality has a benefit for all.

Type of Birdís Nest
                1. Red birdís nest
                This is the most expensive of any type of birdís nest. Itís believed that its color come from birdís blood which is spitted out for make its nest but actually that red color come from the environment of island where birds make their nest.

2. White birdís nest or Island birdís nest
                Good white birdís nest should have a light yellow color which is called ďgolden silk birdís nestĒ, clean and thick. This type is the most popular in Thailand.

3. Black birdís nest
                This is unpurified birdís nest, it has birdís hair contaminate in birdís nest too much. Its quality and price are lower than both types above.

4. Home birdís nest
                This is birdís nest of swallows which make their nest along the eaves of home. It has white color, small and thin. The price is cheaper than natural birdís nest.
                I dunno which one I had, but it was probably imported into Taiwan from China. I don't recall seeing birds nest being sold in either the supermarkets or night markets, so I'm assuming it's somewhat rare (at least in Kaohsiung).

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I've never eaten anything remotely crazy, but I have had dinner at Le Cirque and La Cote Basque. I recommend either over dog, testicle, etc. "I can't believe food can taste this good" vs. "tastes like tough, bland chicken" anyday.

Do yourself a favor: save up and hit a 4 star. It's unreal.

Comment

Octopus
                    Smoked eel
                    one of those centipedes in a sucker..really gross.

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino

pig blood sausage - hard to describe

he he heh.... that is actually a favorite over here... its called black pudding, and it goes nicely fried with brown sauce. all the other stuff was strange.... and i probably would not even try them... but this is a common breakfast serving here... (mainly in Ireland but it has crossed the irish sea and we eat it here also. )

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

i have a story my dad told me, he asserts its the truth but i have no way of verifying it... when he was younger he went camping with a school mate. they were in dartmoore camping in the hills. they had mostly tins of beans and sausages bread corneef that kind of stuff... they met up with about 20 army guys on a training weekend, and they all camped together for that weekend.

he said the army fellas asked if they wanted to share the British Army Special, they would have to contribute some cans of beans and some bread and they would basically take all their food put it in a pot and make a stew for al to share.... alledgedly when all was finishd, they were told, that part of that meal was rat includint intestine eyes the lot, pigeon, rook, and rabbit, to which my dad and his friend said they were initially disgusted..... but said there was alot of food to go around and it wasnt half bad....

i suppose if your training to live in the field you have to do things like that.... but intestines hearts lungs of rats and rabbits.... god i dont want to know....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Tau, you've got a pretty impressive list of exotic foods!

Dudeman, I've had squirrel stew and rabbit stew. It's a good way to make such a small animal's meat stretch into a meal (like all stews are...). I've barbecued rabbit, dove, pigeon and goat. Delicious.

I've eaten raw fish, raw eel, raw fish eggs, raw octopus and raw squid (nothing impressive there if you like sushi...). I've had tacos made with beef tongue, beef brain, pork intestines and dog. I've had BBQ'd javelina (wild boar), kangaroo, buffalo (bison), alligator and rattlesnake.

Oh, and the things that I've eaten on bets or dares? Blegh... I remember eating a live goldfish and a large, live grasshopper (I think this was the worst thing ever.).

When I was in Okinawa, I had bought a bottle of Habu Sake to take home as a souvenir. Well, I got drunk one night and I remember opening up the sake "just for a taste". Well, when I woke up the next morning, the habu was gone. I have no idea where it went, but I'd be willing to bet money that I, or one of my friends, had eaten it.

Pic and story:

There are only two things that I can think of that I refuse to knowingly taste unless I'm literally starving to death: mountain oysters (or the equivalent from any animal), and human meat.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Black pudding is awesome.

Haggis! Thats good too. It tastes nutty and spicy.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              There are only two things that I can think of that I refuse to knowingly taste unless I'm literally starving to death: mountain oysters (or the equivalent from any animal), and human meat.
                              Mountain oysters: tastes like human! :row__577:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X