X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag burning ban fails

The story:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/...s.flagburning/

The Senate failed to approve a constitutional ban on flag burning this week by one vote. What do you guys think? Here's my take:

I oppose making it illegal to express oneself. It can only lead to additional restrictions on speech against government. After all, the flag stands for the freedoms we all enjoy. To take away freedoms in the name of the flag is illogical.

That said, if you come try to burn my flag, I'll exercice my right to put my foot up your ass. I think it's abhorrent to burn the flag, but I have major beef with Congress writing exceptions on the First Amendment rights we currently enjoy.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Flag burning ban fails

Sir, you are under arrest for expressing your opinion regarding flag burning.

I agree with you thought. Burning the flag should not be illegal, but I would have serious issues with anyone I saw doing it. There's another thread that dives heavily into this somewhere in the Sandbox you might want to look up too!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

the Sandbox has been batting this one around under the thread I started under the title "Sick of this republican congress".

I think the title just about sums up my opinion on the now defeated measure.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
        the Sandbox has been batting this one around under the thread I started under the title "Sick of this republican congress".

I think the title just about sums up my opinion on the now defeated measure.
        Did you notice they got 14 Democrats to vote for it too? They had more bi-partisan support on this than they can get on the budget, for crying out loud!

That said, I think it was a stupid idea myself. Nothing more than a political stunt, just like the Marriage amendment.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X