Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbie's nephew

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I've seen robots that are able to stay on a very strictly defined track, but never at speeds approaching those that men would use while driving. I suppose with computing power continuing to increase, it was only a matter of time until these type of calculations could be done fast enough to be practical at highway speeds. Add in the latest generation of accurate GPS systems and the incredible advances made in digital video cameras and you've got yourself a real "53+1".

I can't wait to be able to sleep during my commute in my own car.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Herbie's nephew

traveling long distances wouldn't be so bad anymore.

Comment

WOW..

But now, can it do it all in reverse?
      sigpic

Comment

Fascinating.

So yeah, I'm making it to work, and switch to autopilot, 'cause I wanted to snooze that morning. I doze off and about 5 minutes into the trip, I start thinking «Jeez, the ride is getting bumpy, must be road work». I glance at the dashboard, and there it is:

:D

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov
          Fascinating.

So yeah, I'm making it to work, and switch to autopilot, 'cause I wanted to snooze that morning. I doze off and about 5 minutes into the trip, I start thinking «Jeez, the ride is getting bumpy, must be road work». I glance at the dashboard, and there it is:

http://lp1.electronicbox.net/index_f...ws_XP_BSOD.png
          :D
          Funny, but, with the exception of while I was trying to play Red Orchestra, I haven't seen one of those in over 5 years. And who says it needs to run windows? If it's only going to handle specific navigation applications, it can run on its own OS that is tailor made for those apps. Ever seen a Playstation with a BSOD? (Someone's going to chime in here that they have...)

How many years have planes been run by computers? We certainly have less plane crashes than car crashes.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Well, if you compare flying to driving.. I would trust that you compare general driving and cars for hire to General Aviation and charter (parts 91 and 135). If this is the case - you are more likely to die in a plane than in a car.

Otherwise the comparison would be Airliners vs. Buses.. I haven't seen stats on that. But the Airliners are probably safer, but then you can't compare an airliner to anything we have on wheels I don't think.. most cars don't have driving controls at both front seats, or for longer trips a navigator, vehicle engineer watching over your shoulder.. and no.. before you say it - the wife doesn't count ( ;) ).

OH.. and don't forget the american driving test.. sit for a 50 question multiple choice test and a drive around the block with a walking clip-board VS. FAA training, qualification, testing, recursive evaluations, medical exams, etc.. shoot.. speaking and understanding english is even a requirement.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Funny, but, with the exception of while I was trying to play Red Orchestra, I haven't seen one of those in over 5 years. And who says it needs to run windows? If it's only going to handle specific navigation applications, it can run on its own OS that is tailor made for those apps. Ever seen a Playstation with a BSOD? (Someone's going to chime in here that they have...)

How many years have planes been run by computers? We certainly have less plane crashes than car crashes.
              I was just being silly :)

Many drivers should be replaced by computers. :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                Well, if you compare flying to driving.. I would trust that you compare general driving and cars for hire to General Aviation and charter (parts 91 and 135). If this is the case - you are more likely to die in a plane than in a car.
                What? That's crazy talk. Hundreds (thousands?) of people die in cars every day in the United States. That can't be true for aircraft, can it?
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I'll find the odds.. gimme a minute or two.. It was in mi' wing-flappin' class a while back... it's something like 13 fatalities per million trips in G.A. and .1 fatalities per million in a car.
                  Now thats not accidents mind you.. but fatalities... but that brings up the point crashes vs. fatalities..
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                    I'll find the odds.. gimme a minute or two.. It was in mi' wing-flappin' class a while back... it's something like 13 fatalities per million trips in G.A. and .1 fatalities per million in a car.
                    Now thats not accidents mind you.. but fatalities... but that brings up the point crashes vs. fatalities..
                    Ah, "per million trips". That makes a bit more sense to me...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Here ya go - kind of surprising..
                      http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

+++ End HiJack +++ :D
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse