• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open FIRE! DOH!

Whats my password?!

http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...ine-news_rss20
    sigpic

Re: Open FIRE! DOH!

"The system would undoubtedly cost more than a conventional gun, but many firearm enthusiasts would surely pay a premium for such added security."

Really? Why is the author so confident about that?

Comment

Well, you know.. authors are always enthusiastic about inserting their own opinion when it isn't needed... especially the really good news reporters :/
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
        "The system would undoubtedly cost more than a conventional gun, but many firearm enthusiasts would surely pay a premium for such added security."

Really? Why is the author so confident about that?
        I remember the colt RFID bracelet prototype.

«In a Washington, D.C. report by Congresswoman Barbara B. Kennelly made on April 9, 1997, it was announced that Colt Manufacturing Company had been awarded a $500,000 grant from the Office of Justice Programs, part of the U.S. Department of Justice.2 It was further noted by Dr. Steven Sliwa in his early 1999 testimony on S113 that the technology utilized was RF technology.3 The technology involved a semi-automatic handgun, which has been widely publicized in the press. The RF technology has the advantage of being able to utilize a huge number of individual codes and/or able to be programmed to a single user. It does require a transmitter in a bracelet and a receiver in the gun both requiring a battery.

There are however, a number of disadvantages. For instance, if for any reason either battery fails, the gun will not fire. If either this bracelet or gun is damaged, this system will prevent the gun from firing. If the bracelet is not within the correct predetermined distance, the gun will not fire. If an unauthorized user takes the gun, he can use the gun if he’s within a predetermined distance. Any radio signal can possibly be jammed or interfered with thus causing the gun to fire when it was not authorized or not fire when authorized.

The Colt RF prototype failed on at least one occasion. The failure was documented on ABC-PrimeTime in Columbus, OH, which aired in March 1998 when Colt’s prototype failed on camera. In the broadcast, it was cited that Colt explained that the prototype failed due to wear and tear. This information about the Colt prototype has been gathered from the media and personnel contacts with the former President of Colt, Steven Sliwa, and other industry leaders. Colt should be contacted for clarification since this information cannot be taken as actual fact.»

Source of info here (albeit outdated, still)

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You know, there's a reason the revolver still exists and is used even in this day and age of ever increasing technology: reliability. There's also a reason the Colt .45 1911 hasn't been changed in almost 100 years: reliability. The more simple the device, the less points of failure it has.

I've seen this same thing with the direction many cars are going. If my truck dies or the power steering blows out, it may take a feat of herculian effort to turn the steering wheel, but if the same thing happens on the proposed "drive-by-wire" system, you'd better hope the direction you were going is the one you want to continue to go.

These systems are completely laughable "feel good" forms of safety. I think these people watched "Judge Dredd" one too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
            if the same thing happens on the proposed "drive-by-wire" system, you'd better hope the direction you were going is the one you want to continue to go.
            that was my thought when I saw one of the companies with a drive by wire throttle.. toyota I think.. makes me a little nervous.
            sigpic

Comment

I have a scion tc, it has drive by wire. I'm not really worried. It doesn't have break-by-wire. :p

Comment

I love computers, and technology. But i personaly would like a direct connection between my foot and the throttle of my car. I dont even really like anti-lock breaks. good points about the guns too. I think i gun shooting when it needs to is more important than the risk of it not shooting when needed.
                "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

the same thing is happening all over-planes, cars, houses, shoes. Everything is becomming more and more dependent on technology and computers.

Take for example the C-130. The newest varient the C-130j has effectively gotten rid of the Flight engineer and replaced it with a computer. Well I dont know about you but I would much rather have my father(who was a flight engineer for a KC-130) check the safety of the plane, than some computer.

The world is becoming more and more dependent on technology, well what happens when that technology fails?
                  "The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

OK.. If ther is a war going on and an entire army has the ammo, and a massive EM pulse occurs.. nobody can shoot..? NEAT! get out the knives!
                    sigpic

Comment

pfft knifes will soon be all computer operated aswell(how, I dont know) :p........... TO THE BROOMSTICKS!!

armed and ready :)
                      "The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                        OK.. If ther is a war going on and an entire army has the ammo, and a massive EM pulse occurs.. nobody can shoot..? NEAT! get out the knives!
                        One good reason for using good 'ol lo-tech diesel vehicles :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow-Asterisk
                          I love computers, and technology. But i personaly would like a direct connection between my foot and the throttle of my car. I dont even really like anti-lock breaks. good points about the guns too. I think i gun shooting when it needs to is more important than the risk of it not shooting when needed.
                          Not to thread-jack: but anti-lock brakes do not interfere with a direct hydraulic connection to your braking system. Your brakes will still work even if your car dies. Granted, it will be VERY hard to stop, you can't still do it (or pull the emergency brake). The only other option would be drum brakes, which are not nearly as effective.

Besides, anti-lock brakes actually save lives.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X