• Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden and tolerance...

Joe Biden, Congressman from Delaware...

http://video.nationaljournal.com/Monday/BidenIndian.mov

I guess I just expect better...

Lucky Shot

Re: Joe Biden and tolerance...

And from the look on his face, he didn't even realize that he'd stepped in it. I mean, he really didn't think there was anything wrong with what he said (at the time, anyway).
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My 7-11s are all stocked with disaffected youth, but the local Dunkin Donuts are in fact all Indian owned and operated (I've got four I can drive to in short order).

Tangential to the topic, I wonder why that is. What is it about running a Dunkin Donuts that attract Indian businesspeople in particular?
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        Tangential to the topic, I wonder why that is. What is it about running a Dunkin Donuts that attract Indian businesspeople in particular?
        Funny you should ask that. One of our student tech crew was from that region, and we'd often converse about cultural differences (arranged marriages and such) and what it was like in India and the surrounding areas. One day the topic of Dunkin Donuts came up, and we asked what was with all the Indian immigrants starting them up.

He told us that it's actually a goal for many immigrants to start up a DD, and they plan for it (save up huge amounts of cash, research the business) well before they leave their home country. It's a relatively easy business to start and maintain, especially when the store will be family owned and run. He said it's also how people bring more family members into the country; once you have a business going, it's easy for your cousins and whatnot to get visas when they have a job promised to them.

So the whole "stereotype" of Indians and Dunkin Donuts/convenience stores isn't necessarily a poor social stigma that we get from watching the Simpons. It's pretty much just the way the world runs.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

That's pretty much the method Italian immigrants used to bring family over. Pizza places! In my town, Czech and Polish immigrants often start as contractors, then buy two-family homes, renovate them, and bring a new family over to live in them. They then join the business and together they buy another home for the next family.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
            Funny you should ask that. One of our student tech crew was from that region, and we'd often converse about cultural differences (arranged marriages and such) and what it was like in India and the surrounding areas. One day the topic of Dunkin Donuts came up, and we asked what was with all the Indian immigrants starting them up.

He told us that it's actually a goal for many immigrants to start up a DD, and they plan for it (save up huge amounts of cash, research the business) well before they leave their home country. It's a relatively easy business to start and maintain, especially when the store will be family owned and run. He said it's also how people bring more family members into the country; once you have a business going, it's easy for your cousins and whatnot to get visas when they have a job promised to them.

So the whole "stereotype" of Indians and Dunkin Donuts/convenience stores isn't necessarily a poor social stigma that we get from watching the Simpons. It's pretty much just the way the world runs.
            So do you think this is the way with all/ most of the "stereotype buisnesses"? Such as asian nail parlors and whatnot? If its easier to ger a visa this way then i would understand completely.

And on the subject of that video.. a moron in the government......imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
              That's pretty much the method Italian immigrants used to bring family over. Pizza places! In my town, Czech and Polish immigrants often start as contractors, then buy two-family homes, renovate them, and bring a new family over to live in them. They then join the business and together they buy another home for the next family.
              Now thats the american way!! I can really respect any immigrant who worked to get here like that.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE
                So do you think this is the way with all/ most of the "stereotype buisnesses"? Such as asian nail parlors and whatnot? If its easier to ger a visa this way then i would understand completely.
                I've never actually thought about it, but I wouldn't be surprised. I've not seen a single nail salon that wasn't staffed entirely by asians, and the (sadly) very few shoe repair places I've visited have all been owned by people of a similar ethnicity (can't remember off the top of which, but my memory tells me they all had similar accents and such). I've been to a good amount of family computer businesses that are owned by Indian/Pakistani/Asians as well, but there's eleventy billion of those stores, so it's not as easy to compare.

While that congressman was pretty dumb, gotta wonder at what point "stereotypes" change from bad/slur to common fact.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I don't think he meant any harm, but it was still a dumb thing for a politician to say. Especially since people at the national level will take it out of context and use it against him.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Yep. It's been done before.

Fortunately the unbiased press will not flog him with it I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan

Heh, well, in the SouthWest, we don't have very many Dunkin Donuts (I remember we had 'em in Tucson when I was a kid...), so it seems that many of the Indian immigrants favor convenience stores. Here in Dallas, there are a LOT of Ethiopian and Eritrean convenience store owners, too.

I think that it's because it's a small business that is fairly easy to get into and that will almost always be successful with hard work. Most of the overhead comes from paying employees, so if your only employees are family it helps control the cost of that overhead.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Interesting thread. Raceism vs. statistics. interesting stuff indeed.
                        Granted a politically incorrect thing to say with someone who may try to get the Dem nomination. But as Principle Skinner once said: "Prove me wrong children, prove me wrong."

Good commits Smokeing Tarben and Steeler.
                        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement