• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Facts About the Publishing Industry

An article with some interesting facts about the book publishing industry:

http://parapublishing.com/sites/para...statistics.cfm

Some of the facts:
    • Women buy 68% of all books.
    • 58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.
    • 80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.
    • The time Americans spend reading books.
      1996: 123 hours
      2001: 109 hours
    • 70% of the books published do not earn out their advance.

It's a very interesting read. (If you read) ;)
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Amazing Facts About the Publishing Industry

that's just depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
      70% of the books published do not earn out their advance.
      This explains alot.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

"42% of college graduates never read another book."

That one is very interesting.
        [volun]

Comment

I haven't read a book since 7th grade. I hate reading books, Now I enjoy reading a game magazine, or computer one.

Comment

Originally posted by undead77
            I haven't read a book since 7th grade. I hate reading books.
            That's a shame.

From 7th grade until I was a Junior in high school, the novel Fahrenheit 451 was assigned to me in one class or another every single year. I hate that book and that is a shame, too.

I don't have time to read books anymore. I'll read maybe four or five books a year? There was a time in my life when I would read four or five books a month.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I love reading. Nothing can beat the power of detailed imagery, subtle and not-so-subtle plot twists, and other plot nuances in books; movies cannot even begin to compare.

IMO reading is a good activity to keep the mind active and alert. This report reflects the sad state of today's society in which intellectual hobbies are decreasing in popularity.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Isn't the internet just like one big book? But with pipes?
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

What's a book? You mean one of those things with math equations and stuff in it?

I have bought a few books over the years since getting my degree. One day I'll read one of them.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I read 50+ books a year.
                    ---
                    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

I can even recall the book I read, was something called "third demension" or something along those lines, It took me forever and like 5 chapters to get into it.

Comment

Buks ar fer burnin! Arrr :row__631:
                        |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

I don't even have enough room to display all my books. They sit on bankers boxes stacked in my cellar. The recent ones are stacked under my side of the bed.

Admitedly, about half the books I buy are technical manuals on electronics or something else techy but they dont really count as reading, the rest are mostly fiction as I enjoy it a lot.

BTW, no the internet is nothing like one big book with pipes I hope that was sarcasm. Also, magazines don't count as "reading a book".

The scary thing about electronic media is the potential for widespread public opinion swaying and propaganda, which we have already seen in abundance. We seem to be pretty savy as consumers to identify when people are selling something to us, but not so great at identifying the same behaviour in our governments and various lobby groups. Also, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination for those that are currently in power to start to engage in manipulating electronic "history" such as in the book 1984. (Power in terms of not only who's in government but also who's in charge of electronic data publishing and their interests.)
                          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft
                            I read 50+ books a year.
                            We love you and all, but the latest Archie & Jughead doesn't count. :row__523:

How do you choose the books you're going to read? Just pick them up on a whim because they look good or do you follow best seller lists and stuff to pick your books?
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I just got into reading again...now that I have a TON of free time. I guess when I was back in the states, I had Cable and CS:S, but now that I have neither, reading just has to cut it I guess...I really got into the Dan Brown books...I realize that it is the "thing" to do but it is REALLY good:)
                              "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X