X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10th dimension

If your anything like me, you'll find this very interesting:

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

Click "imagining the 10th dimension" on the left. The flash animation explains it in a very simple way. Though actually trying to wrap your head around the concepts is... difficult at best. Our brains are wired around 3 dimensions.

Discuss

Re: The 10th dimension

Wow, freakin' awesome! I have the most feeble and unscientific of minds and I actually understood that. It's started to get shaky around the 7th dimension but the way they review each one clears it up. The tenth dimension stuff is freaky. Surely you think that using the process of diagraming dim 1-9 that we can imagine going past 10 but you can't...weird...

...if you haven't see this, please check it out!
    LoyalGuard

Comment

I'm sorry...I'm still captivated by this. Isn't is weird that there are 10 dimensions, exactly 10?
      LoyalGuard

Comment

wow, very interesting
        Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

wow, neat. The mathematics behind string theory are amazing. M-theory (which, IIRC, seeks to combine the the current models of superstring theory) involves 11 dimension. Don't ask me how this works :p

Another good reference to quantum physics is "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku, PhD. It attempts to explain what concepts in quantum physics using terms that nonphysicists can understand, and it's actually quite interesting.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino
            wow, neat. The mathematics behind string theory are amazing. M-theory (which, IIRC, seeks to combine the the current models of superstring theory) involves 11 dimension. Don't ask me how this works :p

Another good reference to quantum physics is "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku, PhD. It attempts to explain what concepts in quantum physics using terms that nonphysicists can understand, and it's actually quite interesting.
            Looks like I've got some good beach reading this summer between your and BHack's recommendations. Thanks!

I think I have a new motto:

Dot, Line, Split, Fold, Repeat...
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard
              I'm sorry...I'm still captivated by this. Isn't is weird that there are 10 dimensions, exactly 10?

Read through the forums on that website. The author of the book is quite active in them.

There is a thread in there about the significance of 10. Apparently, it's a pretty cool number.

Comment

Ten dimensions? Pfffft, that's nothing! The Mooninites have five thousand dimensions. And they totally rock!
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

There may well be a good mathematical reason why dimensions stop at 10 (or 11), but this isn't it.

First of all, what makes 6 different from 9? They fill exactly the same function, and it would be perfectly reasonable to have only one of them, or yet a third dimension that does the same thing again.

Second, in the 7th dimension you have all possible timelines from a given set of initial conditions defined as a point. All possible timelines from a different set of conditions is a second point, defining a line. Ok, so far so good. Now you add a third set of conditions. How do you know its not on that same line? It must be different in some qualitative way, causing it to veer off in a different direction. Ok, now add another set of conditions. What if this one is different in a NEW qualitative way? How do you know this one doesn't veer off in a separate direction, requiring an additional spatial dimension? 2 points define a line, 3 a plane, and 4 points a 3-dimensional space.

Comment

Have you guys read "Flatland: A romance of many dimensions" by Edwin Abbott? Basically, this flash site is just how Abbott explains it in his novel. They even call the 2 dimensional guys flatlanders. He wrote it in 1884. It's a good read, and it comes in the Dover Thrift series for like $1.50.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
                      Have you guys read "Flatland: A romance of many dimensions" by Edwin Abbott? Basically, this flash site is just how Abbott explains it in his novel. They even call the 2 dimensional guys flatlanders. He wrote it in 1884. It's a good read, and it comes in the Dover Thrift series for like $1.50.
                      That book is great, you can probably find it at a Half Price Books store for less than a dollar.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

If twenty years down the road String Theory turns out to be a complete pile of garbage...this will be so funny to read.

But yeah, I can see why and how it works and it seems possible to me.
                        -Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I remember Flatland.

Has anyone read physicist Robert Forward's SF novel "Dragon's Egg", about life on a neutron star?
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hm, actually this guy seems to have gotten the higher dimensions wrong. He conceptualizes them as alternate possibilities. However, that's not how string theorists conceptualize the other dimensions according to my housemate (who's done some graduate work in physics). It's not exactly clear how we should conceptualize the other dimensions, but the standard idea is that they are spatial dimensions that are so small, we do not have the ability to measure interactions with them. They are, however, spatial just like length, height, and width and not alternate possibilities on the timeline or alternate timeline possibilities.

Comment

I was hoping someone who knew more than me would make that point. Conceptualizing possibilities as alternate dimensions just doesn't sit right with me, but I don't have the technical knowledge to prove it.

Although I have heard theories that there may be a second time dimension, somewhere.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X