Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a Radio Program

Hi All-

I stole (borrowed, might be a better word) this idea from H-Hour's thread on recommending a book. I liked the post idea and thought I would extend it to the radio.

What radio program(s) do you listen too on a regular bases and why do you listen?

If you listen to more than one radio program please list those and if the program is broadcast on the web give the web address. Any radio program can be listed, politics, sports, religion, hobbies, shock jocks, doesn't matter, whatever you enjoy listen to on a regular bases. You may listen to your program on your way to to work, listen at your desk, on the headphones, working around the house, exercising as long as it keeps you informed or entertains you.

Here's mine:

www.ianmasters.org

I live in Los Angeles and this program is broadcast every Sunday from 11am to 1 in the afternoon. The previous shows are archived for listening with a detailed listing of the guests biography. It's a highly intelligent and informative radio program that is way beyond the dribble that one gets from the ever depressing shout radio that dominates the airwaves currently. The program focuses on current events in national and world politics. The guests are current or former military, academics, national security experts, politicians, activists, scientists and many other fields.

The show is listener funded so, in my opinion, it offers a more critical view of our current state of the union and world than other programs on the radio waves. With other radio programs, a sponsor of the show may pull the plug if the host says something out of step of the current political climate, or if it's government funded, can come under pressure from politicans.

Master's has been on the air for quite some time, I discovered his program perhaps two or three years ago. The show is broken into two parts, with the first hour having two or three guests interviewed and the last hour generally usually one guest. Each guest is interviewed in depth and Master's does an excellent job of making his own points and bringing alot of information and insight out of his guests.

I would encourage everyone to visit the website and listen to some the archived programs or listen live on Sundays.

-TFKD
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Recommend a Radio Program

BBC Radio 1 - The Zane Lowe Show Monday - Thursday 2pm - 4pm

Very enthusiastic presenter that plays as much new music as he can in two hours. All types of music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...d/radio1.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom and listen to one of the archives from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

We have something similar over here on the left coast: Open Source with Chris Lydon. He used to be the host of WBUR's The Connection.

http://www.radioopensource.org/

For general radio, I listen to KEXP.

http://www.kexp.org/home.asp?noflash=false

Nothing like it.

Comment

Glenn Beck

His is a general interest talk show that appeals to me because it is irreverent (and yet, safe to listen to with the whole family). He touches on politics, but I would not say that it's a political show.

He's also got a TV show on CNN Headline News, but I don't think TV is his strength... I haven't watched it since he first started, so perhaps he's stopped staring at the teleprompter?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Howard Stern on Sirius satellite radio (Probably not be safe for work) www.howardstern.com

Ive been listening for about 8 years then the right wing appointed FCC chairman Michael Powell (last name sound familiar) started to fine radio stations that he was broadcasted on and they bowed to the religious right like always. So needless to say it was taken off the FM radio station in my area for about 1 1/2 years but now it is back on. Some stuff on the show is pretty sick but the jokes, phone calls, and overall commentary is just great. Basically it puts a smile on my face when it is way to early in the morning to smile. Plus you can listen to it on the internet now if you are a sirius subscriber.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo
            Howard Stern on Sirius satellite radio (Probably not be safe for work) www.howardstern.com

Ive been listening for about 8 years then the right wing appointed FCC chairman Michael Powell (last name sound familiar) started to fine radio stations that he was broadcasted on and they bowed to the religious right like always. So needless to say it was taken off the FM radio station in my area for about 1 1/2 years but now it is back on. Some stuff on the show is pretty sick but the jokes, phone calls, and overall commentary is just great. Basically it puts a smile on my face when it is way to early in the morning to smile. Plus you can listen to it on the internet now if you are a sirius subscriber.

I watched howard on demand tv show of the artie lang roast....i laughed till i cried.
            i have been listening to howard since like 98'..even better since its on sirius now.

Comment

Man Mateo stole kexp.org from me. They're playing Fearless by Pink Floyd right now. :(

I listen to This American Life regularly - their recent program 'It Never Ends' was very very good. It's a PRI (largely distributed by NPR) show, and just very engaging and unlike any other radio show out there.

I also listen to NPR's On the Media religiously every week, usually while hungover making breakfast on Saturday mornings. The show is an outstanding, if somewhat irreverant, look at media issues that are big in the news that week. It's like The Daily Show meets NPR, and while it's far more NPR than TDS, it has its moments.

If you like movies, I also listen to KCRW's The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell. His recent shows with Bryan Singer, Ed Norton, and David Mamet were each excellent.

Also on the movie tip is KCRW's irreverant The Business. They take a very light hearted look at the movie industry, but still have fascinating in-depth interviews with Hollywood notables. I listen as much for the style as I do for the content. heh

All of these (except This American Life) are available as podcasts in iTunes, btw. :)
              Beatnik

Comment

The Phil Hendrie Show

I used to listen to it every day, but after I moved its not on air in my area. This is the most hilarious comedy show there is. There's a catch to it, but its even better if you don't know the catch ahead of time and have to figure it out yourself. Then after that you can laugh at all the other people calling in to the show who haven't figured out the show yet. They mostly take callers from people who haven't "got" it yet.

Its not a political show, but every once in a while the host offers his opinion on something political between comedy bits. Phil is officially a Democrat if I remember correctly. He's not a mainstream democrat though, more like a Lieberman Democrat.

Rush Limbaugh

This one is political, and famous enough that most of you have probably heard of it already. But if you've never heard it, you owe it to yourself to listen to at least one show. Rush is THE defining right wing commentary, and manages to remain entertaining and humourous at the same time. The key is just not to take him too seriously--take everything he says with a grain of salt. Half the time he's joking, although sometimes its hard to tell since his jokes are not too far removed from reality.

KFI 640 AM
                Both of the radio programs above require paid subscriptions to listen online. If you can't find a local radio station that carries them on air, this is the online streaming link I use to listen to Rush for free. He's on live 12-3 Eastern Time. Most of the other programs on KFI are pretty good too.

Comment

Some good stuff I'll be listening to all the recommendations. I've got some time to kill at work!

I neglected to post Tom Leykis who I listen to on my drive home from work. It's my required daily dose of shout radio.

www.blowmeuptom.com
                  |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                  "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                  - Check me out on The Onion
                  - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I enjoy listening to Glenn Beck, but my favorite current radio show is the www.Johnbatchelorshow.com on ABC radio. He details the US politics with a very outward look and it's as close to a 100% interview show as you can get. Majority of the show is built around overseas events and generally will interview high position people from the area he's discussing.

To see a list of his interviews from yesterday... http://johnbatchelorshow.com/showDet...1&groupStart=1

Very intelligent, great perspective, extremely informative.

Lucky Shot

Comment

When I lived outside of philly I become a fan of the The Preston and Steve Show. They are on in the mornings from 6 to 10 and pretty much talk about anything and everything and Ive seriously showed up to class completely red eyed because I was laughing so hard I was crying. They arent overly loud or obnoxious and actually play music as well. They have podcasts too for those fans/soon to be fans outside of the philly area.

Comment

Walton & Johnson

* Houston / Galveston / Beaumont
                        * Dallas / Ft. Worth
                        * New Orleans
                        * Baton Rouge / Lafayette
                        * Lake Charles
                        * Biloxi / Gulfport
                        * Temple / Killeen

http://waltonandjohnson.com/

Comment

When i travel to certain town in America i listen to KBBL.

1,000 points for the person who knows what i am talking about.

For real, i like National Public Radio, It comes on early morning and 4:00 pm East Coast USA. Good informative stuff.

I listen msn radio on the computer for rock music and such. If anyone knows any other good free radio stations off the internet i would be grateful.

Listening to Rush is fun, I try to get an idea from were this guy is coming from so i can stay the hell away from his spawn point. JK. It is good to hear all points of view.

Edited 12:06 july 12, 2006. Luck Shot got what i was talking about. well done.
                          Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 07-12-2006, 12:10 AM.
                          (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                          (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                          (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                          Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                          Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Mancow's Morning Madhouse - www.mancow.com

It's a morning variety radio show based out of Chicago syndicated in several cities around the US. Not something you'd want to listen to in front of your children because some of the content is in appropriate but the show really covers everything from: social & political commentary/pranks/guest interviews/news/etc.

I only get to listen to it for a couple hours a week maybe but the cast of the show make it hysterical.

Comment

Saturday Night on Triple J

Bizarre, chaotic and with a host that can only be described as a stoner with a perfect deadpan delivery. Focusing mainly on phone-in stuff, the callers are probably the strangest or most bored members of society and are always ridiculously funny. There's a podcast available if you want to check it out.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                              |TG-2nd|munchkin
                              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse