Classical Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical Music

Hello fellow TGers, I along with many others find great pleasure in an exceptional classical melody. That is why I have created this thread to share your favorite classical songs with the internet community.

Currently, I don't have any favorite songs and I am hoping for some of you to perhaps enlighten me on what you find enjoyable seeing as how many of us here share similar interests in music.

Of course there are the well-known songs that come from famous composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, etc. But what I'd like to know is if there exist such contemporary composers who have perhaps aqcuired an equally masterful symphony of music that are worth giving an ear to.

Thank you for your time; I look forward to reading your responses.

:)
    Last edited by Radooh; 07-17-2006, 04:56 AM.

Re: Classical Music

Oh, man, there was a song I heard a few times long ago that I really enjoyed. It had "Grand Canyon" in the name, I think, but that's all I remember.

I'm fond of just about everything from the Disney movie, Fantasia.

I also really like "Fanfare for the Common Man" and others by Copeland, but I don't think this is "classical" by definition.

Oh, and I also like marches, too. Sousa is the master and I love his stuff. Again, not classical, but might fit into this thread...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I see no reason to exclude the American composers. Copeland, Sousa, and even John Williams (Star Wars) sound good to me.

My favorite classical music joke:

Why did Bach have so many children?
      Because his organ had no stops.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody all the way!
        ;)

The classical songs done by Danny Elfman are fantastic and he is often used for movies.

Music from Platoon always moves me... Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach (I believe)
        Music from Sleeping with the Enemy... Hector Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.
        Music from Ali Baba and the 40 thieves (Video game for the Atari 800, back when I was growing up)... Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakoff

Those are some that I like though.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot
          Music from Platoon always moves me... Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach (I believe)

Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber
          www.modern-strings.de/sound/barber.htm

This is a beautiful piece and very simple. Probably my favorite :)

Comment

One of my favorites is the Nimrod section from the Enigma Variations by Edward Elgar (1857-1934).
            Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline

That's the one! Thanks man!

Lucky Shot

Comment

Pachabel's Canon is very common and well known, but I could listen to it for hours. And of course, any of the Baby Einstein series, lol. I think Baby Bach is my fav.

http://www.paradise-engineering.com/pachabels-canon/
                New to TG?

Comment

Another good one is:
                  Mars, The Bringer of War - Gustav Holst

Comment

Not much of a Classical fan: my parents love it, and my brother is a trained Classical Guitarist (now a DC lawyer-go figure!).

That said, there are some pieces I really like.

John Adams-The Chairman Dances, Shaker Loops
                    Toru Takemitsu-any
                    Stravinsky-The Rite of Spring
                    Vivaldi-The Four Seasons (Particularly Fall and Winter)

Comment

Sergey Rachaminov's The Isle of the Dead is one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline

Oh, yeah. Such a dramatic piece of music!

Another good one is:
                        Mars, The Bringer of War - Gustav Holst
                        Again, yes. All of "The Planets" are great!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I think my favorite is the Gayenne Ballet Suite from the film 2001. I love the soulful lonely sound. It reminds me of someone walking through an old and empty house full of memories.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I like Gershwin...American in Paris is a great piece, Porgy & Bess, Rhapsody in Blue...some might classify him as a Jazz composer...could be...but I think Gershwin is classical.

I also like Holst
                            Ravel's Bolero is a fascinating piece...still love it to this day.
                            I've always liked the Russian composer Shostakovich. He wrote an interesting piece (Symphony #7) while living under siege in Leningrad. Fascinating music

there are so many to choose from --this is just what comes to mind at the moment
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

For some great modern stuff (not atonal), check out:

Air for Violin
                              by Aaron Jay Kernis
                              Awesome, expressive. Has moments of sheer chaos and incredible delicacy. One of my all-time favorites. Put on headphones, close your eyes and enjoy.

Concerto Grosso For String Quartet and Orchestra
                              by Julian Orbon
                              Latin American composers are awesome. Tons of energy. Cool stuff. In fact, I highly recommend picking up the album linked above. Everything on it is GREAT. Revueltas' Sensemaya and Redes are both equally awesome.

Sinfonia India
                              by Carlos Chavez
                              Crazy piece. Lots of fun to play. Some great moments.

For some other stuff, check out Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson's CD with Sigur Ros. It's very interesting. Also, my roommate is a big fan of Shostakovich, though I haven't listened to much of him. From what I've heard he sounds big.

I sometimes enjoy Philip Glass, in particular his Symphony No. 2, but he's a minimalist composer and, frankly, everything he does sounds the same. He's been used in a lot of soundtracks cause he's pretty well known, and whenever you hear him you can tell immediately it's him. He gets on my nerves, though, sometimes. Might be worth checking out.
                              [volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X