http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/5217424.stm

Horrible.

Re: Execution of a teenage girl

What a f***** up culture...

Sad :\

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I've read a little about the hangings going on in Iran. From what I gather, they like to lift the condemned with a crane, as opposed to dropping them from a gallows. This way they strangle slowly and do not die immediately with a broken neck.

Again, horrible. This is the dominant culture of a nation, not the antics of an extremist few.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        Again, horrible. This is the dominant culture of a nation, not the antics of an extremist few.
        Actually it looks more like a dominant extremist few leading the antics of a nation's culture...just because they're in power doesn't mean the people all agree with it.
        -Zephyr
        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
        We are not a single game.
        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
          Actually it looks more like a dominant extremist few leading the antics of a nation's culture...just because they're in power doesn't mean the people all agree with it.
          -Zephyr
          I agree. Never jugde a culture by it's leader. US has death penalty, executed by forms like electrocution(which is also nasty to watch - just an example). This has been done to mentally retarded..... Still most people don't judge the US culture by that....
          --
          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

You shouldn't confuse culture with nationality. This may not be representative of Iranians, but it is certainly representative of those who follow Sharia.

And yeah, that's a sick culture.
            ---
            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Very few countries practice the 'long drop' as it is known, the process by which the neck is broken by the sharp jolt as opposed to strangulation. It was only introduced to Britain in 1875 or so (and that was only thought to have happened as open air public executions were banned, and now the prison officers had to watch the execution in a small cell which I imagine was rather unpleasant. At least one long drop was known to have caused decapitation.

But that said it was not long ago in Britain that children would be hung for minor offences, such as stealing.

But there is a counter point to not using it. Under Sharia law a victim's family has the power to pardon a murderer even after an execution has begun, as happened to Ramin Tshaharleng.

Comment

I'm not totally familier with the details of this case, but I just wanted to chime in here to say that I don't really have a particular problem with what happened to this girl. If the article that is obviously biased against the actions is unable to give the impression that the girl is NOT a troublemaking street urchin, then I'm sure the reality is at least a bit worse.

Looking at the bigger picture:
                The problem, of course, is with using some "god" to decide what is just. Religious beliefs are NOT where our sense of right and wrong come from. Ignorant conservatives will often spout off about the "judeo christian" roots of our legal system. They ignore the fact that there are non-judeo christian cultures that have the same basic interests in justice. The same morals. Do you not think that if the religious right ever came to be in power like religion is in the middle east, that they would not start enforcing their own law? We've already seen it happen at abortion clinics: christians enforcing their own brand of justice on other people.

No, muslim law doesn't scare me. Religious "justice" does, regardless of the faith involved...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  No, muslim law doesn't scare me. Religious "justice" does, regardless of the faith involved...
                  Muslims aren't religious?
                  ---
                  Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft
                    Muslims aren't religious?
                    Yes, but I'm saying that it doesn't bother me because it's Muslim, it bothers me because it's religious. And this particular case doesn't do anything to enhance my concern...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Well the details can be summarised pretty easily:

Girl gets kicked onto streets at a young age and as an urchin is generally shunned.
                      Despite having many complaints against her (as a bad example to other schoolgirls) she is generally not persecuted.
                      Girl is raped.
                      At a court case she loses her temper at how unfairly she is being treated, shouts at the judge and admits she was raped.
                      Judge summons her to execution for adultery (although she was not married).
                      Man who raped her gets 100 lashes.
                      Judge looks at her and says she is 22 (even though her birth and death certificate ages her as 16).
                      Girl is executed.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The real problem here is that the Iranian religeous judges answer to no-one (but God, and that's kinda unprovable).

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                        Well the details can be summarised pretty easily:

Girl gets kicked onto streets at a young age and as an urchin is generally shunned.
                        Despite having many complaints against her (as a bad example to other schoolgirls) she is generally not persecuted.
                        Girl is raped.
                        At a court case she loses her temper at how unfairly she is being treated, shouts at the judge and admits she was raped.
                        Judge summons her to execution for adultery (although she was not married).
                        Man who raped her gets 100 lashes.
                        Judge looks at her and says she is 22 (even though her birth and death certificate ages her as 16).
                        Girl is executed.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The real problem here is that the Iranian religeous judges answer to no-one (but God, and that's kinda unprovable).
                        You left out the fact that she was a prostitute.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Boy, I'm sure glad we don't execute people in this country.

Comment

Well, I'm glad we haven't let Cing hang all the prostitutes. ;)
                            ---

Comment

I would do no such thing!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X