Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Students refuse to pay new fee

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/03....ap/index.html

I thought this was interesting. Apparently, foreign students studying in an American University are outrage to have to pay an additional 65 dollars a month to pay for something that is required in order for them to study here in America.

Chris Vials, president of the GEO, said school administrators agreed to meet with opponents of the fee. He said a better solution would be a $5 or $10 fee for all students.
    My question is, why should all students pay for the foreign students to be registered for security purposes and to support the international student office?

Re: International Students refuse to pay new fee

I agree. The students are in a pretty poor bargaining position, too.

In a perfect world, people who have sex without being able to support a child would pay these fees. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/03....ap/index.html

I thought this was interesting. Apparently, foreign students studying in an American University are outrage to have to pay an additional 65 dollars a month to pay for something that is required in order for them to study here in America.

My question is, why should all students pay for the foreign students to be registered for security purposes and to support the international student office?

LMAO...Wolf...we must think alike...I had just copied that link, and came here to post the same thing :)

I find it rather insulting, that after we allow them(we don't have to) to come to the US, to further their education, for their own gain, that this would be an issue.
      The money is to make up for budget cut, which shouldn't unfairly be passed on to just the foreign students, however :

Originally posted by CNN article
      Part of the fee will also help pay for a new federal student tracking program called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information Systems, or SEVIS, which Congress created to prevent terrorists from entering the country on student visas.
      this is implemented to help track foreign nationals inside our borders, which is a darn good idea...so why shouldn't the ones we're watching have to fund it ?? I'd say to the foreign students...consider this routine charges, and either get over it, or study elsewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        In a perfect world, people who have sex without being able to support a child would pay these fees. ;)
        Huh Uh.....excuse me...not in this thread :icon_wink

Comment

because other countries do not penalise american students for studying in their country thats why. we have american students comming into this country and they will not have to pay the new top up fee but reap the benefits of an improved education while joe english man has to pay for this yanks schooling..

where is the logic in that?

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
            because other countries do not penalise american students for studying in their country thats why. we have american students comming into this country and they will not have to pay the new top up fee but reap the benefits of an improved education while joe english man has to pay for this yanks schooling..

where is the logic in that?
            logic? ...LOGIC? I don't see any need for "logic" to be involved at all...call it "NECESSITY"

Tell ya what Dude... when you have morons step into your country, and destroy property, and lives, and a new set of security measures has to be put in place due to foreigners being in your land, then by all means, feel free to charge whatever you wish...it's your country, have at it

Welcome to America bro, ....we don't owe foreigners a thing for their participation in our uni's....if they don't like it, they can go home to study....and you can tell our American students there the same thing...if they don't like your prices...they can return home and study

Comment

The IRA did that :(

I think Dudeman has a point but the fact remains that we don't owe these international students anything, and no-one is making them stay if they don't wish to pay what's asked.

Comment

The students are in a better barganing position than you think. Lots of the top engineering profs at my school were not Canadian born. In fact they did undergrad in places like Iran, Egypt, Greece, Germany, Sweden, China.... This is also true for grad students, post docs, etc. I'm sure the situation is the same in America that schools compete to attract talented people. Any really good school has to stay "international friendly".

Of course the school has to make ends meet and in the end this really sounds like a non-issue.

Comment

I know...I was waiting to see if Dudeman used that as an example...hey... the Brit Uni's can charge extra for something, and our kids have to like it...or lump it...simple as that....no one said life's fair....and if they did...they lied to you !

Comment

I think Dudeman has a point but the fact remains that we don't owe these international students anything, and no-one is making them stay if they don't wish to pay what's asked.
                    yes thank you leejo,

phyllis dont get on your high and mighty because you have had one terrorist attack, we have had several, yes your country has had a large one but we have been dealing with 100 years or more of terror acts on our country.

and we do not penalise the irish who study here.

im not saying dont charge, but really is average american student going to miss 10$ come on, yes its an inconvinience no its not bank breaking.

i see the need for the security, but i also see better way of doing it or strongly urge people to reconsider such a huge price on people who come from countries without scholarships and grants... i.e here, if i go to the usa and study its all out of my pocket, and that wont change.. if you come here, you get same level of education cheaper and some will have schollarships....

dont get me wrong i think security is good, but dont penalise ordinary hard working people who just want to better themselves and who may help your economy in the future.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
                      I know...I was waiting to see if Dudeman used that as an example...hey... the Brit Uni's can charge extra for something, and our kids have to like it...or lump it...simple as that....no one said life's fair....and if they did...they lied to you !

yeah thats the answer with you hey... well blah blah blah blah.. lets conform and not try and improve because life isnt fair.... who else is being screwed... wait me... oh no its not failr blah blah...

sorry if that is blunt but your attitude suggests a lack of interest in improving policy for the better rather than 'lumping it'.

evolution not your strong point i guess.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

i see if they are not american who gives a ****... well thanks

stupid but what the hey... lifes not fair... hey phyllis :icon_roll

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

American students are having to pay more these days, too.

Dudeman, I'm not FOR international students paying this fee. I wish no-one had to! But these are tough times and we're having to pay for a lot of things right now.

I don't like collecting these funds from international students, but the security work has to be done and someone has to pay for it. Britain's culture is such that the state pays for more things than individuals pay for in this culture. I suspect that has more to do with the fact that Britain hasn't introduced similar measures than the kindness of your hearts, which no-one doubts. Except maybe the French, but screw them.

Comment

American students are having to pay more these days, too.

Dudeman, I'm not FOR international students paying this fee. I wish no-one had to! But these are tough times and we're having to pay for a lot of things right now.

I don't like collecting these funds from international students, but the security work has to be done and someone has to pay for it. Britain's culture is such that the state pays for more things than individuals pay for in this culture. I suspect that has more to do with the fact that Britain hasn't introduced similar measures than the kindness of your hearts, which no-one doubts. Except maybe the French, but screw them.

well no university is totally paid for by the student over here the only students gettiong it free in some cases is yanks with scholarships.

but thats not my point leej, if you tax the international students all well and good but you are asking a hell of alot, if you tax all students you are asking a very small affordable amount. it only seems fair to ask the small ammount.

security measures are in place to keep americans safe, yes from forigners, but lets not forget that 9-11 those people were living in the states for years and years before hand.

it seems another case of knee jerk those forigners because they are terrorists, its a 21st centuray witch hunt. innocent till proven quilty... well they will be paying for a terrorists act even though they are totally innocent.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

phyllis dont get on your high and mighty because you have had one terrorist attack,
                              Oh well...one is all it took to have these measure's put in place....deal with it....

and we do not penalise the irish who study here.
                              ...again...not my fault, you Brits are more than welcome to charge whatever, to whoever, especially forigners...have at it...

i.e here, if i go to the usa and study its all out of my pocket, and that wont change.. if you come here, you get same level of education cheaper and some will have schollarships....
                              maybe it's time for a change eh ?

yeah thats the answer with you hey... well blah blah blah blah.. lets conform and not try and improve because life isnt fair.... who else is being screwed... wait me... oh no its not failr blah blah...
                              ...I said it before...life isn't fair....period....

sorry if that is blunt but your attitude suggests a lack of interest in improving policy for the better rather than 'lumping it'.
                              Seems to me, this fee is an improvement, it helps make up for money lost when we have to track and watch foreign students in America...

evolution not your strong point i guess.
                              sorry dude...I don't do evolution....

stupid but what the hey... lifes not fair... hey phyllis
                              NOW you're getting it....

but lets not forget that 9-11 those people were living in the states for years and years before hand.
                              might better check again, and see who was in on student visas....

it seems another case of knee jerk those forigners because they are terrorists, its a 21st centuray witch hunt. innocent till proven quilty... well they will be paying for a terrorists act even though they are totally innocent.
                              Another case of a few bad apples spoiled it for everyone...sorry 'bout that....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X