Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker shortage crippling farmers

INCREASED PATROLS OF BORDER CITED

Gosh imagine what other illegal activities must be hurt!

DRUG DEALER MARGINS CUT BY SAGGING SUPPLIES isn't as good a headline I suppose.

Re: Worker shortage crippling farmers

Watched a great documentary today on Modern Marvels: Harvesting. It went crop by crop how mechanization allows farmers to keep costs down from where it used to be. Specifically, Oranges and Tomatos were mentioned as key crops positively impacted by mechanization. It also included Grapes, Cranberries, Rice, Wheat, Cotton, and Nuts. Great documentary well worth watching to see how Mechanization allows fewer to do more and keeps american farms from giving into developers.

Lucky Shot

Comment

``The government says we have to get rid of these undocumented workers, but they don't have an answer for us,'' Peixoto said. ``How are we supposed to do this?''
      I dunno, maybe do things legally? Hahaha.

Down with organic vegetables!
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Drug dealer profits increase with lower supplies - at least for those drug dealers whom keep extra stock onhand. Windfall profits, they're called.

:)
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
          Drug dealer profits increase with lower supplies - at least for those drug dealers whom keep extra stock onhand. Windfall profits, they're called.

:)
          Partially correct. Drug profits increase... but with reduced supply the wholesale market will have higher prices, and the profit will be flowing to the suppliers. The dealers themselves will be paying higher costs which they must recoup by raising prices, causing many of their own customers to be unable to afford the product.

It's complicated for the suppliers as well. Their costs are increasing because for every shipment that they are able to sell, a certain number of shipments will be intercepted and will never realize a sale. These become dead weight loss in the supply/demand curves.

Classic microeconomics problem set. I take my final exam in 8 days. :row__523:

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
            Gosh imagine what other illegal activities must be hurt!

DRUG DEALER MARGINS CUT BY SAGGING SUPPLIES isn't as good a headline I suppose.
            Likely it's because they can't make that claim. Illegal immigrants aren't the primary method of smuggling drugs. The drug trade makes enough money that they can afford more expensive and effective transport across the border and donít rely on illegals to carry them across the border. Even securing the border wouldn't have a crippling effect on the drug trade as suppliers can circumvent it entirely if needed.

The farmer is simply pointing out that those immigrants serve a vital function. He's not making an endorsement illegal immigration, he probably supports guest workers, because if we're going to kick the illegal ones out we will need to start letting more legal ones in. Currently there are no plans to let more legal immigrants in, hence again support for a guest worker program.

Comment

I spoke specifically of windfall profits. These occur when the price of something increases and one's existing inventory, which was purchased at the old and lower price suddenly becomes worth more.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

I spoke specifically of windfall profits. These occur when the price of something increases and one's existing inventory, which was purchased at the old and lower price suddenly becomes worth more.
                True... but the marginal cost of holding enough inventory to realize a signficant windfall profit would put the net economic benefit below zero. If only more drug kingpins were economists... :icon_lol:

Comment

Yea, but what about the AMERICAN drug dealers! They are loosing jobs to these no tax paying drug dealers that can just go back to their country and avoid our draconian laws.

THAT IS NOT FAIR!!!!
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap View Post
                    True... but the marginal cost of holding enough inventory to realize a signficant windfall profit would put the net economic benefit below zero. If only more drug kingpins were economists... :icon_lol:
                    What cost do you speak of?

Comment

What cost do you speak of?
                      3-9 years?
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The guy smuggling goods across the border isn't the owner. I'm not taking this discussion any further, it's getting silly now. So let's let this be done.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X