Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitler's Bunker....Why Do you think....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitler's Bunker....Why Do you think....?

Just recently the German government has put a plaque where Hitler's bunker, and place of death, is located. My question is, "Why has the bunker not been excavated?"

I realize that there are still raw feelings about Hitler. But there is evidence of Hitler all over Germany. I am watching a show called Lost Worlds on the History Channel and the number of relics from Hitler still standing is surprising. If the reason is that Hitler was a man we'd rather forget then why are the other buildings still standing?

According to the program, Hitler's bunker has concrete walls and ceilings of concrete 13 feet thick. I know the Soviets sealed the bunker but what was their method? Did they simply bury the entrance? How do you seal a bunker with 13 foot thick concrete walls?
    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Re: Hitler's Bunker....Why Do you think....?

Speaking of that show, I forgot to watch it and now its almost over. I don't have any input right now though. Thanks for the reminder though. Love history channel.

Comment

it is on again tonight at 2200 pst
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Soviets gave the bunker a thorough going over before sealing it, right? Probably not much left in there? Wonder if they discussed that on the show.

This all has me thinking of the excellent - and recent - film about Hitler's final days, "Downfall." Anyone else catch that one?

To address your question, I suspect that most Germans don't consider the coloseum in Berlin 'a building of Hitler' - they probably just think of it as the place soccer games are played. Out of mind, I suppose. Excavating the Berlin bunker would make for a popular macabre tourist attraction, but I believe that Germans like to think of WWII as little as possible. At least the ones I've met do.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I can understand that. I don't agree with it but I can understand that.
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

The plantations where the slaves were kept, the roads they were transported on still exist here in the US.
            Besides - being reminded of Hitler and the horrible things people did may actually be a good thing. In Munich there is a nazi-era 'house of art' that had an exhibition of unnatural art in the 1930s. Today there are modern-art exhibitions there again, but with the opposite viewpoint.

Comment

I almost wonder if trying to hard to forget about Hitler could border on revisionist history.
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I believe the rationale is that they don't want the bunker to become a shrine for skinheads and neo-nazis. Just what I heard while I was in Germany recently.

On revisionist history:
                I think Germany does a lot of leg work in ensuring that German citizens never forget about the holocaust, and Nazism in general. For instance, as I understand, it is part of their mandatory schooling for kids to go to the concentration camps and see these things in real life.

Recall that it is a crime in Germany (and Austria, I believe) to deny the holocaust - and a guy got thrown in jail for saying that it didn't happen only recently. Doesn't sound very revisionist to me.

Marstein can shed more details on this, I'm sure.

Edit: yeah, Downfall was intense.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

We need to get Geraldo on the case.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                    We need to get Geraldo on the case.

+ rep for the joke but I think he is a bit busy at the moment

Last edited by Pickle; 08-15-2006, 06:36 PM.
                    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Don't they keep the bunker open so Vice President Cheney can use it as his "undisclosed location"?
                      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                      - Check me out on The Onion
                      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                        Don't they keep the bunker open so Vice President Cheney can use it as his "undisclosed location"?
                        In light of the PC tact that the Jap thread is taking I think I should be offended for calling the 2nd in command of our country Hitler

................................But, I'm not. Too Funny! + Rep.
                        [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Ooops, missed Dice's post. That is good information that I am not privy to. I heard that it is illegal in Austria to deny the holocaust but I am not familiar with the other countries. Thanks for the info. That answers at least one of my queries about revisionist history. I know that the Neo Nazi would like to see it open as a rally point for their idiotic cause. I figure a plaque and a and door leading to the bunker are both rally points. Interesting. Marstein, any info you got is really appreciated.
                          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Well - the Nazi-times are discussed in school, there are movies and in general you get conditioned against marching and getting into a patriotic fervor. That was done then and everyone knows what that lead to.
                            It is illegal to sing the first verse of the national anthem "Germany over everything", nicely covered by the Dead Kennedy's I think in "California --- über alles" (although they probably didn't have the Umlaut). It is illegal to use the Hitler-greeting (right arm straight up) and when people do it to me I feel real uncomfortable.
                            There is this one english or american guy who denies the holocaust ever happened and I think he was sentenced.
                            I guess you always have to be careful of what's coming down when your leaders sit behind the thickest walls in the country.

My parents talk about sitting in the basement during a bomber raid. When there are airplanes flying overhead for 1/2 hour and you could sit in your own tomb. There are also happy moments when you find skulls that were blown out of gravesites or digging in fresh ruins for copper wire to sell. Lesson: keep fascists out and don't screw with the americans :-)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X