Overly Offensive Passport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Offensive Passport

This passport photo was rejected as it was deemed potentially offensive.

What do you say? Is it too over the top?

Passport photo of girl, 5, banned 'in case it offends Muslims' | the Daily Mail

Lucky Shot

Re: Overly Offensive Passport

WTH? Why was it banned? Clicking link now...

Edit: That's bloody rediculous!!!

Comment

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Uh... that headline is totally misleading. "Passport photo of girl, 5, banned 'in case it offends Muslims'" The photo was not "banned" and, as far as I can tell, was never officially rejected. A store clerk told them it might be rejected, but as you can see...

A spokesman for the Passport Service said it was not policy to reject applications with bare shoulders.

'The guidance set out on the application form doesn't include it, this picture should have been absolutely fine,' she added. 'The Post Office has its rules and we can't comment on that.'

A Post Office spokesman said: 'Our offices have a Passport Office template which says what the photograph should and shouldn't be.

'Bare shoulders don't come into that at all. We can't see any instruction to that effect so all we can do is apologise to Mrs Edwards. It was clearly a mistake made by the clerk.

'It is the first time we have heard of such a rejection and we will take it up with that particular office.
        [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour View Post
          Uh... that headline is totally misleading. "Passport photo of girl, 5, banned 'in case it offends Muslims'" The photo was not "banned" and, as far as I can tell, was never officially rejected. A store clerk told them it might be rejected, but as you can see...
          No, it was a clerk at the Post Office, which is one of the few places that you can apply for a passport. And it was rejected. Officially.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It sounds like a disconnect between the Passport Office and the Post Office...

...The part I can't really believe is that a parent would willingly have a portrait type photo of their five year old daughter published for the world to see...
            LoyalGuard

Comment

I just don't understand why the world is so worried about offending muslims. If we offend them, they blow people up. If we don't offend them, they blow people up. Makes no difference...........

Comment

I think the question is, why is this bureaucrat so worried about offending Muslims? My guess is, he is an idiot bureaucrat. What an inflammatory and misleading headline.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I am sure my passport photo will in some way offend some people in this world. At least I hated it.
                  Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    No, it was a clerk at the Post Office, which is one of the few places that you can apply for a passport. And it was rejected. Officially.
                    Originally posted by article
                    The post office assistant stunned Hannah Edwards's parents by claiming the skin exposed by her daughter's halter-neck dress would not be accepted by the Passport Office as it might prove unacceptable in a Muslim country.
                    The article never explicitly says it was rejected. The clerk was "claiming" it would not be accepted by the Passport Office. Why argue this one? It's obvious it was just a stupid employee making a stupid call and the powers-that-be have even said it was against policy!
                    [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour View Post
                      The article never explicitly says it was rejected. The clerk was "claiming" it would not be accepted by the Passport Office. Why argue this one? It's obvious it was just a stupid employee making a stupid call and the powers-that-be have even said it was against policy!
                      The application WAS rejected, because they had to go get a new picture. It was rejected by the person with the authority to make that call. The fact that it doesn't represent official policy is good, but the fact that the clerk thought it did is very disturbing indeed.

Though unsurprising, given how many places now have policies against keeping stuffed pigs on desks, etc. for the same reasons.
                      ---
                      Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ View Post
                        I just don't understand why the world is so worried about offending muslims. If we offend them, they blow people up. If we don't offend them, they blow people up. Makes no difference...........
                        I thought I was the only one who got that!!?!? Thanks J.

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

I'm going on a sailing trip in Canada next year and I need a new passport can anyone tell me what things Canadians find offensive in passport photos :) .
                          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

A photo of you?
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                              The application WAS rejected, because they had to go get a new picture.
                              "claiming ... would not be accepted" does not equal "is not accepted". Read the text of the article explicitly.
                              [volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X