CR Creates Viruses for Study

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CR Creates Viruses for Study

Consumer Reports created thousands of viruses to test AV software for a recent issue. Anti-Virus programmers are now outraged because they say it's irresponsible to create any new viruses, even for testing.

On the other hand, CR says it needs to create viruses for its tests because they are responsible for more of the serious problems caused by malware.

Interesting read. My own take is that the anti-virus software makers are just pissed someone is calling them out on their weaknesses. Which is dangerous, because these companies should be open to such independent security tests.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: CR Creates Viruses for Study

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
    Interesting read. My own take is that the anti-virus software makers are just pissed someone is calling them out on their weaknesses. Which is dangerous, because these companies should be open to such independent security tests.
    I agree. Kudos to consumer reports. I don't put much faith in the generic virus testing methods that are supposed to detect viruses that they haven't seen before.

Comment

Re: CR Creates Viruses for Study

Agreed again. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but I would be amazed if a decent chunk of the viruses that a AV prog protects against did not originate from the AV companies.

Good that a neutral party is running these through their paces.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X