X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN broadcasted Israeli troop movements

Wow.

Re: UN broadcasted Israeli troop movements

The UN is a corrupt, worthless organization... This is not news... Just ask Garth Brooks, he'll tell you.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      The UN is a corrupt, worthless organization... This is not news... Just ask Garth Brooks, he'll tell you.
      Yeah, in a hackneyed tune with nameless session musicians carrying the load.

Comment

The sad part is, I'm completely unsurprised. =/

Comment

Not only am I not suprised but I am equally not suprised this hasn't been made bigger news.
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I really don't mean for this to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested; What is the most recent action the UN has taken that should be celebrated by the world? What have they done lately that can honestly be called a success? Better yet, when have they aggressively stood their ground in the face of opposition and come out on top as the good guys?
            New to TG?

Comment

I don't think you need to restrict that to "lately". Feel free to go back to the Cold War if you have to. :)

Comment

Poorly researched article from someone with an obvious grudge.
                Originally posted by Weekly Standard
                Meanwhile, UNIFIL posted not a single item of specific intelligence regarding Hezbollah forces. Statements on the order of Hezbollah "fired rockets in large numbers from various locations" and Hezbollah's rockets "were fired in significantly larger numbers from various locations" are as precise as its coverage of the other side ever got.
                Originally posted by UNIFIL Press Release August 7, 2006
                There were two incidents of firing close to a UNIFIL position by Hezbollah in
                the area of Hula. In another incident yesterday, two missiles from an unknown source impacted in the vicinity of a UNIFIL logistic convoy in El Addaisseh. This morning, Hezbollah fired rockets from the vicinity of the UN position in Tibnin, and the IAF carried out air strikes on the areas from which the fire originated. There were no injuries or damage to UNIFIL property. UNIFIL strongly protested all these incidents to the Lebanese and Israeli authorities respectively.
                If you actually go and read the daily press releases, you'll see that most of the information they provide is restricted specifically to incidents in which UNIFIL assets were directly involved. You will also see that the phrase "from various locations" that has aroused such ire in the author is actually boilerplate text that appears in every document as a dry subject sentence. Sometimes more detailed information follows.

I'm not going to defend any faction in this conflict, as there is plenty of hate to go around and I want none of it. Maybe UNIFIL is at fault and maybe not (I personally don't think Hezbollah fighters were getting their intel from a website - their ComCon structure is not that centralized). But before this thread degenerates into yet another round of UN flaming, why don't all the interested commenters take a moment to read the documents themselves? Then judge for yourself, instead of just accepting the Weekly Standard piece at face value.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                  Poorly researched article from someone with an obvious grudge.

If you actually go and read the daily press releases, you'll see that most of the information they provide is restricted specifically to incidents in which UNIFIL assets were directly involved. You will also see that the phrase "from various locations" that has aroused such ire in the author is actually boilerplate text that appears in every document as a dry subject sentence. Sometimes more detailed information follows.

I'm not going to defend any faction in this conflict, as there is plenty of hate to go around and I want none of it. Maybe UNIFIL is at fault and maybe not (I personally don't think Hezbollah fighters were getting their intel from a website - their ComCon structure is not that centralized). But before this thread degenerates into yet another round of UN flaming, why don't all the interested commenters take a moment to read the documents themselves? Then judge for yourself, instead of just accepting the Weekly Standard piece at face value.
                  Nothing you've said counters anything the author said whatsoever. Since you like to talk to us like our Mother why don't you go ahead and show us how to disprove what hes' put forth.
                  New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    To quote an article I recently read:

"The United Nations can be extremely "relevant" or "irrelevant," depending on the circumstances.

When the U.N. serves as a useful instrument of U.S. foreign policy, it is a vital world body taking responsibility for the future and reaffirming its transcendent institutional vision. When the U.N. balks at serving as a useful instrument of U.S. foreign policy, its irrelevance is so obvious that it risks collapsing into the dustbin of history while the USA proceeds to stride the globe like the superpower colossus that it truly is.

There's a lot of lofty rhetoric here in Washington about the U.N.," says Erik Leaver of the Institute for Policy Studies. Pretty words now function as window-dressing for imminent war-making. While the president claims the right to violently enforce U.N. Security Council resolutions, Leaver adds, "there are almost 100 current Security Council resolutions that are being ignored, in addition to the 12 or so resolutions that Iraq is ignoring. What the U.S. is saying here is that it has the right to determine which Security Council resolutions are relevant and which are not."

Leaver, a researcher with the Foreign Policy In Focus project (www.fpif.org), is outside the usual media box when he brings up a key question: "If the U.S. takes military action using the cover of the United Nations, what is to prevent other countries from launching their own military attacks in the name of enforcement of U.N. resolutions — against Turkey in Cyprus, or Morocco in Western Sahara, or Israel in Palestine? This is precisely the reason why the doctrine of pre-emptive force is a dangerous policy for the United States to pursue."

The right-wing obsession with the United Nations as an all powerful body with "black helicopters" spying on United States citizens or as a toothless French run organzation goes back decades. It's good to see the tradition continues on this thread.
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                    - Check me out on The Onion
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

As I already posted:

Hypothesis - UNIFIL posted not a single item of specific intelligence regarding Hezbollah forces.

Disproving statement 1 - "There were two incidents of firing close to a UNIFIL position by Hezbollah in the area of Hula."
                      Disproving statement 2 - "This morning, Hezbollah fired rockets from the vicinity of the UN position in Tibnin."
                      sigpic

Comment

As the author said, that's not specific at all compared to specific numbers of troops, vehicles and even timelines down to 30 minutes. I read 8 or 9 of the reports and many of them concerning Hez. say nothing at all about the relative vicinity to the UNIFIL. I'm not persuaded.
                        New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                          The right-wing obsession with the United Nations as an all powerful body with "black helicopters" spying on United States citizens or as a toothless French run organzation goes back decades. It's good to see the tradition continues on this thread.
                          Ah, then I eagerly await your response to Squid's question above!
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Probably not directly related to the OP, but I'm dissapointed in the current policies of the UN. It seems to me that there's not enough initiative to promote positive change throughout the world; instead, the UN seeks to preserve the status quo (which in some places is clearly unstable and/or not working) and please every involved party while accomplishing nothing.

The involvement of UNIFIL in S Lebanon is doing just that. They should have the power to actively seek out and eliminate Hezbollah to facilitate long-term stability in the region. Additionally, they should attempt to somehow influence (though not likely and/or feasible) middle eastern media which promotes anti-Israel sentiments.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                              They should have the power to actively seek out and eliminate Hezbollah to facilitate long-term stability in the region. Additionally, they should attempt to somehow influence (though not likely and/or feasible) middle eastern media which promotes anti-Israel sentiments.
                              That would be nice, except that Hezbollah is a potent local political (and apparently military) force there. The only reason that UNIFIL can offer disaster relief, basic security, and humanitarian aid there is because they are bound by international agreement NOT to do any anti-militia or disarmament activities. Now, optimally, UNIFIL would provide material support for Lebanese regular forces as they clean out Hezbollah resources and fighters. I think the new resolution is supposed to do something like this. But unfortunately, the likelihood of that being effective is pretty slim, leaving UN forces in this kind of operational limbo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...