Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brits look in here! Money is on the line!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits look in here! Money is on the line!

Over the course of a friendly dinner last evening, I made a potentially foolish bet over a minor disagreement regarding British and European employment laws. The question at hand is actually quite simple so I'll get right to it and hopefully someone will be able to authoritatively and singlehandedly smash my dreams and cause me to lose a very small amount of money. Or perhaps make me a very small amount of money. We shall see.

In any event, I win if Brits may not work on the continent without some procedure - even a formality will work! - or if continental Europeans may not work in Britain without some kind of procedure. I've looked on Wikipedia for over an hour to no avail. I was under the impression that the Schengen Agreement was all there is to it, but now the EEA (European Economic Area) has me quaking in my boots. Someone tell me!

=)
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: Brits look in here! Money is on the line!

You'd probably have to go for an interview...:row__572:

Comment

LOL. That's not very promising!
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

The following categories of people can take up any lawful employment in the UK and do not need a work permit:

* Nationals of EEA (European Economic Area) countries (the EEA comprises the 25 EU member states - Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic*, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary*, Ireland, Italy, Latvia*, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland*, Portugal, Slovakia*, Slovenia*, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom – and also Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland)
        * Those with Indefinite Leave To Remain in the UK (Permanent Residence)
        * Those in the UK as the spouse of an EEA national
        * Those in the UK as the spouse of a work permit holder, Training Permit Holder, Sole Representative, Investor, Student, ancestry visa holder
        * Commonwealth citizens with ancestry visas (sometimes called patriality) – these visas are available to Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent born in the UK. They should be applied for by the candidate at the British High Commission in their home country. They are usually issued for a period of four years; after four years in the UK the candidate is generally eligible for permanent residence.
        * Those with pending claims for Asylum in the UK (NB workpermit.com does NOT handle asylum applications)
        * Those in the UK on a visa as the 'partner' of an EEA national, Work Permit holder, Training Permit Holder Sole Representative, Investor, Student, Ancestry visa holder. These visas are issued in cases where the partners are not legally allowed to marry (for example because they are of the same sex, or because one or both of them are married to someone else) and have been co-habiting for at least two years prior to the visa application
        UK immigration guide - Who needs a work permit?

EDIT:

Can I work in another European Country?

As a European Citizen you can work in any European Country without the need of a Work Permit or Visa. However if you are not an EU-Citizen you will need a Work and Residence Permit and / or Visa.
        Source: SKC - Work In Europe Or The UK

Comment

I guess it comes down to what you defined "continental europe" as. If it includes not EEA countries (such as Bulgaria) then you have won, as they need a work permit.

If not then it really depends on if you can pass off "a photocopy of your passport" as a procedure (but this is simply to prove whether or not you are an EEA citizen).

Otherwise foolish, it probably was. My manager at work deals with recruitment tho, I'll ask him on Thursday when he is back in the office (I have a no-boss day today! :) )

Comment

Definitely not looking good. :[

Thanks for the info Obi and Wulfyn!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X