Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Shack fires 400 workers via e-mail

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

"The work force reduction notification is currently in progress. Unfortunately your position is one that has been eliminated."
    How on earth could you expect to take such a termination notice seriously? Couldn't you just refuse to check your e-mail and continue to come to work like normal and force your superiors to address the situation in an acceptable manner?

Wow...

Re: Radio Shack fires 400 workers via e-mail

Email is fairly unreliable for stuff like that. The recipient could just delete it and say they never got it.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
      Email is fairly unreliable for stuff like that. The recipient could just delete it and say they never got it.
      That depends on what they use for internal e-mail. I don't think they sent out the notifications to hotmail accounts or anything. Most corporate/enterprise e-mail systems provide absolute assurance that an e-mail is delivered and read.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

"We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible."

In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

/\. lol.

Bad form indeed.
          (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
          (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
          (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
          Squad Leader pledge to their team:
          Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Icky, your fired.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

As long as there isn't a glitch in the system, it doesn't really matter if the person claims they never read the email. And even if there is a glitch, you can just fix it and let things work themselves out naturally.

:D

I could set the building on fire.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I don't think there's really a nice fuzzy way to lay off 400 people, and this looks like they got RIF'd, not fired. The email solution does at least rip the bandaid off all at once and spares the entire office a day-long parade of dead-man walking scenes as coworkers get marched into a conference room one at a time, back to their workspace to gather personal belongings, a few good-byes, and out the door.

There's no way to avoid the personal meeting between management and each terminated employee as forms have to be signed and company property returned. I don't think this story is quite as bad as it's being presented but it's certainly understandable that both those laid off and those who remain are a bit grumpy right now.

It begs the question: how would you go about laying off 400 people? Remember, your primary concern must be the morale of the remaining workforce. Sad but true.

Comment

As a member of the remaining workforce, I would have better morale knowing that, if it were my head on the chopping block my company would treat me with a certain level of courtesy and respect.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                    It begs the question: how would you go about laying off 400 people?
                    Over the PA system!

"Begs the question" shouldn't be used in this way. :( It doesn't mean "to bring up a question."

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                      "Begs the question" shouldn't be used in this way. :( It doesn't mean "to bring up a question."
                      Huh? How should it be used?

I thought that "begs the question" meant that a situations is asking for a question to be asked. In this case, the argument that terminating people via email is discourteous makes one desire to know what others would consider to be a courteous way to terminate a large group of employees.

If this isn't how it should be used, it begs the question as to how it should!

Oh, and I don't have a problem with email being used for this. It's simply another form of communication. Sure, face to face would be nice, but I'd rather have the maximum notice possible, rather than waiting for face time with my supervisor's supervisor.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It would be ironic if I quibbled with this technicality while insisting on a more traditional definition of "irony", so I will thank you for the lesson and rephrase. It raises the question: how would you lay off 400 people?

Well, not ironic really, but who cares? I just make a fuss about it as a joke.

I like the PA system but I think a better option would be to use a bullhorn, a drum kit, and a trombone.

"Sarah Abrams, <drum roll> you're cool. <sting>
                        John Allison, <drum roll>, you're fired, <trombone wah wah>"

etc.

Maybe have management taking bets at a nearby table. You know, to spice things up. Make it a "fun" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Radio Shack Article
                          Company officials had told employees in a series of meetings that layoff notices would be delivered electronically, spokeswoman Kay Jackson said. She said employees were invited to ask questions before Tuesday's notification on a company intranet site.
                          They were warned this was coming... and that it would be by e-mail.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          Oh, and I don't have a problem with email being used for this. It's simply another form of communication. Sure, face to face would be nice, but I'd rather have the maximum notice possible, rather than waiting for face time with my supervisor's supervisor.
                          Absolutely. It's more efficient than face to face. And as much as that may make our feelings, feel a little better, o well. Companies have to do these things efficiently as they can and e-mail is definitely one of those ways.

America is so caught up in their selves that they think everyone should coddle to them. I don't love the Corporate mindset very often, but sometimes you just have to make the decision and move on.

()

Comment

Have a company pick-nick and give them word over their last supper.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

It would be nice to know how the company treats its employees after their dismissal. While the headline is pretty inflammatory, if the severance packages are fair (no idea based on the article) and if there are ample warnings, job references and placement opportunities, then e-mail isn't such a bad way to do it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...