911 Every damn day.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911 Every damn day.

I figure i have to talk to someone and i dont really mind if no one answers this but i am becoming de-sensetized to 911.

This horrible event is thrown in my face countless times a week. Between television and the people around me i hear about this event at least once a day.

Part of greiving is letting go.
    I dont mean forget. I mean move on.

The worst example of this in my life is my trigonometry teacher. I have had class for three weeks now and he has not missed mentioning 911 in a single class period.

He also likes to throw in his christian beliefs with a quick disclaimer "these are my opinions and you dont have to accept them."

BUT I DO HAVE TO SIT HERE AND LISTEN TO THEM! I want to scream this at the top of my lungs whan i hear him go on a tirade about how "nothing good ever came out of the muslim religion" What "good" has come out of the christain religion?

were talking about a math class here. if this were a sociology class or anything like that i would have no problem with that. because it would be open for debate.

im the type of person who would say something, but im actually worried i might fail the class simply because my opinion differs from his. He wears a crucifix around his neck and carries a bible in his breifcase.

I cant stand this ethnocentric craziness. If you believe a certain thing then you obviously have to exclude other possibilities but can you at least respect others? isnt that the whole of christianity about forgiving and kindness? understanding and acceptance?

anyway i had to rant to someone about this ....might as well be here

Re: 911 Every damn day.

I completely agree. History channel Discovery Channel National Geo Channel, they alll have been playing the same stuff for the last 3 weeks. Its either that or the katrina problem. I dont wanna sound cruel or mean but its enough, every single one of those shows says the exact same things over and over. It was the same last year as it was this year.

I truely am sorry for those families who lost, but showing it over and over again inst gonna help the greiving process.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

The 9/11 reminders are a wholly separate issue from ignorance and hatred of Muslims.

I think the problem is that you see all this 9/11 stuff and you don't think about what happened. This isn't something that we should "get over".

And if he thinks that Islam has done nothing good, then perhaps he should forget about modern medicine and many, many other things... http://www.muslimheritage.com/
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

i understand that. i dont think we will ever get over the devistation is caused and how it has changed our history. The shows keep showing how the planes hit the towers, new interviews that say the exact same thing.

How are familys supposed to morn there looses if its always in the media?

and if he keeps bringing up this what good deal, just mention his math he teaches came from the arabs and muslims. Most of our Math and some sceince has come from them
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
          and if he keeps bringing up this what good deal, just mention his math he teaches came from the arabs and muslims. Most of our Math and some sceince has come from them
          Heh... Yeah, ask him when was the last time he did any equations using Roman Numerals!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I can't believe a math teacher would say that !!...thanks for posting that link Cing...

There's good in bad in everything. If more people accepted that the world would be a better place.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Just don't make the mistake of generalizing from this one poor math teacher that all Christians are like that. Many of us do follow the ideals of forgiving, kindness, and acceptance. Unfortunately, many others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                Just don't make the mistake of generalizing from this one poor math teacher that all Christians are like that. Many of us do follow the ideals of forgiving, kindness, and acceptance. Unfortunately, many others don't.

as well as MOST muslims.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post

Absolutely not! Most of my freinds and family are christian.. even my mother.
                  I do certainly differentiate between real christians (or good people of any religion) and what i call hypo-christains.

Honestly, ive had SUPER liberal professors and even a couple VERY conservitave ones but ive never had one so ignorant of how real people feel about each other. I have met people of nearly every major religion out there and i feel the basic goal of almost all religions is "treat each other with respect and you will be happier" but it amazes me into silence that a university professor would say these things.

cing, i dont really know the definition of "get over it" but i mean healthy greiving doesnt involve seeing the bad event jammed into your face every day.
                  i dont think we should forget. we should do something real about it.

my professor doesnt seem to understand that not everyone has thier brain glazed as far as this subject goes. Every time i see that footage of the second plane my guts churn, and i think about how im watching several hundred people die. if anything should be rated "R" it should be that.

Comment

Dude I would be very cautious in taking social cues from a university math professor. I was a math major, and trust me: this is not the part of the university to be hanging out in order to get your finger on the pulse of society.

The guy is a university math professor. Don't look to him for advice on anything except solving whatever equation you happen to be working, and don't get bent out of shape if his social skills aren't up to par. Who cares what he thinks about anything other than whether or not you solved the problem correctly?

Dealing with jackasses who have power over you is not something that ends with school and is a skill in itself. This is a learning experience for you in that regard, if you choose to see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                      Dude I would be very cautious in taking social cues from a university math professor. I was a math major, and trust me: this is not the part of the university to be hanging out in order to get your finger on the pulse of society.

The guy is a university math professor. Don't look to him for advice on anything except solving whatever equation you happen to be working, and don't get bent out of shape if his social skills aren't up to par. Who cares what he thinks about anything other than whether or not you solved the problem correctly?

Dealing with jackasses who have power over you is not something that ends with school and is a skill in itself. This is a learning experience for you in that regard, if you choose to see it that way.

its not that im needing social advise from him. Its that i have to listen to him dredge up bad memories and badmouth a whole section of the earths population a couple of those whom i count as freinds, ALL during class time.

If he were doing this any other time...say...during our 10 minute break i would care less...but this is mid-lecture. im stuck listening to it no matter what.

And yeah you dont have to tell me twice that "the smart do and the stupid lead". i worked fast food for several years ;)

Comment

Thats got to be annoying. It doesn't look like you are in the position to do anything about it though, as it might jepordize your grade, but then again, this is a math class and your grade comes from tests and such, so he can't fail you if you have the numbers of your tests that say otherwise.

Comment

If it really is a problem, and it really is offensive, tape it. On the sly. Then mail it anonymously to the math department. I don't know what your school's policies are, but what you describe sound like patently racist comments and they usually don't go over well with the administration (unless you go to Bob Jones).

And you could always send the tape to the student paper or any number of loud screaming student action committees. That will get a response. University administrators excel in one thing above all others - reactionary stupidity.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

Ive been thinking about this all day today trying to decide an action (with no action being a possibility)

I dont believe this problem is malicious in nature. I can imagine (like leejo said)
                            that he is just a bit "socially ignorant".

Due to that, i think taping him and sending it somewhere is probobly a bit much, at least, before i persoanlly confront him. Which is what ive decided to do.

I am going to explain that while i respect his views i ask that he leave them for time ouside lecture. when i can leave . If he doesnt like this idea then i am simply going to go to the math department and ask to be transferred into a different class, explaining my issues.

This really is a shame, hes a wonderful math teacher.....if hed just leave it to the math.

i know, i should have done this a week ago or sooner....

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                              I dont believe this problem is malicious in nature. I can imagine (like leejo said)
                              that he is just a bit "socially ignorant".
                              Maybe he knew someone who died on Sept. 11th. If you confront him and that's the case then what can you say? You will have made a new enemy through no fault of your own. I'd say it's better to deal with this problem anonymously.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X