Making Your Vote Count OR Tactical Voting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Your Vote Count OR Tactical Voting

PREFACE: Keep your partisan negativity out of this thread. I am using my own personal situation here because I'm faced with a VERY tough decision, but the concept of making your vote count can apply to any candidates, in any primary election, anywhere in the country.

-----

Today is primary day.

In Rhode Island we have a rather heated battle in our US Senate race. Lets just start by saying I'm a Republican. We have two candidates in the Republican Primary, the incumbent Lincoln Chafee and the Cranston, Rhode Island Mayor Steve Laffey.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Lincoln Chafee. I feel he's nothing more than a RINO and that in the past, my votes for him were votes for uncertainty. I feel I would have more stability, and better representation, voting for Steve Laffey, but I'm not sure he's going to be able to win the race against the apparent Democrat primary elect, Sheldon Whitehouse.

There are a LOT of national media reps in Rhode Island today. They're all watching this race very closely as RI has the potential of handing over a seat in the senate to the Democrats. There are a lot of accusations flying at the polls as well regarding independents and Democrats alike voting in the Republican primary for Laffey with the hope that he wins the primary and then gets pushed out by Whitehouse thus handing the US Senate seat over to the Democrats.

So what do I do? Personally; I feel that Laffey provides me with far better representation than Chafee does, but if it doesn't look like Laffey can win against Whitehouse, should my vote really be determined by who would better represent me in the Chafee / Whitehouse race?

Would you vote for the individual you want to see in the Senate, and make your vote count in the primary? Or would you vote tactically, and use your vote in the primary to help prevent a loss in the general election?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Making Your Vote Count OR Tactical Voting

all I have to say, is don't be a foolish voter... If you don't know what a candidates beliefs are, priorities or track records then don't just randomly vote.

It's OK not to vote on every single contest.

What I mean, last week was our primaries, I went in and voted for who I know and trust, mostly for the Governor position, and the judges...since they impact me the most... I skipped the votes for secretary, treasury, and a bunch of other positions I didn't study...

If you don't know who, then don't vote...otherwise not only could you be voting for the wrong candidate out of who's name looks better, but you may be blocking a potential good candidate by casting a mis-informed vote.

Hope you understand what I mean, I know I don't. lol

Good Luck
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

You need to vote for the candidate you want to see in the Senate. "Tactical voting" as you describe only serves to cloud the statistical waters. Furthermore, if things do not turn out as you fear (Laffey wins primary and loses the election), you would have really wasted your vote.

Voters need to remember that voting with their honest concience is the best way to get honest results. The media, bad politics and redistricting games have all served to confuse and ultimately disenfranchise the American voter. Pay it no mind and vote your concience.

Comment

I had a similar situation in an election many moons ago. Back when I was a serious democrat. The local incumbent was a really talented and effective republican, and the democrats put up an evening news lady who couldn't have run a worse campaign.

My buddy and I was torn. Do we vote for this jerk who by all accounts will be a lousy rep, unworthy of my vote? Or do we suck it up and vote the party line.

My decision was to vote the party line, because I didn't want to see a republican-controlled house. Politics at the national level is very much a team sport. My buddy decided that he couldn't in good conscience vote for such a twit, and cast his vote for the incumbent.

I don't know which way was the "right" way to look at the situation. You can bet that others are out there wondering the same thing, so your votes will probably cancel each other out. In fact, you should probably just screw it and stay home watching gomer pyle reruns and burn one. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
          all I have to say, is don't be a foolish voter... If you don't know what a candidates beliefs are, priorities or track records then don't just randomly vote.

It's OK not to vote on every single contest.

What I mean, last week was our primaries, I went in and voted for who I know and trust, mostly for the Governor position, and the judges...since they impact me the most... I skipped the votes for secretary, treasury, and a bunch of other positions I didn't study...

If you don't know who, then don't vote...otherwise not only could you be voting for the wrong candidate out of who's name looks better, but you may be blocking a potential good candidate by casting a mis-informed vote.

Hope you understand what I mean, I know I don't. lol

Good Luck
          I agree with you regarding voting randomly. If I don't know anything about the candidates in a particular race, I usually just write in my own name. But in the case of the senate race, I do know who the candidates are and what their beliefs are. That's the problem.

Laffey is a better candidate in my opinion, but I'm also not very sure he's going to win against Sheldon Whitehouse. Chafee is an embarrasment, but I think he WILL win against Whitehouse.

I've kept listening to the radio and the way this election is playing out is astonishing. They actually ran out of disaffiliation forms at a number of polling locations in Rhode Island because of all the Democrats voting in the Republican primary and then immediately disaffiliating with the Republican party. This has been stuffing the ballot boxes with votes for Laffey. (I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but whatever primary you vote in here, forces your party affiliation to that particular party.)

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
            You need to vote for the candidate you want to see in the Senate. "Tactical voting" as you describe only serves to cloud the statistical waters. Furthermore, if things do not turn out as you fear (Laffey wins primary and loses the election), you would have really wasted your vote.

Voters need to remember that voting with their honest concience is the best way to get honest results. The media, bad politics and redistricting games have all served to confuse and ultimately disenfranchise the American voter. Pay it no mind and vote your concience.
            Here's the question; What is more important to me, keeping the "statistical waters" clear or using my vote to get the best candidate in the Senate that has the chance of winning the election?

Part of me says that I should vote for Laffey because he best represents me. Another part of me says I need to vote Chafee because of all the affiliation/disaffiliation crap happening at the polls.

Maybe I'll just write my own name in on the Senate race as well.

*sigh*

Comment

I don't own a crystal ball, so I would vote for the candidate I most wanted to see in office. There is no reliable scientific method of determining who will win the state election short of actually holding the state election, so you do yourself no favors by sacrificing your own judgement in favor of the uncounted ethereal masses.

Remember, voting for the "electable" candidate netted for the Democrats John Kerry, who, while not a terrible candidate, turned out to be ineffective.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

I would say to vote your gut.

You seem to understand well enough the limitations of a First Past The Post voting system, so you probably can make a better decision on the appropriate strategy for you than others who don't live in RI and weigh the candidates similarily.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

But what about the statistical waters? Won't somebody please think about the statistical waters!!!???

Do what you think's best dude, even if it's a pit-in-your-stomach hate-both-choices decision. If it were juice and cookies vs. a spanking and straight to bed with no supper decision, we wouldn't need adults to make these choices, would we?

Comment

Both parties have done everything they can to make it easier for them to keep their seats. Voter registration laws, redistricting, you name it politicians do it to keep their jobs and their party in power. Of course its not just them -- individuals voting in the opposite parties primaries, individuals taking advantage of no ID requirements and voting multiple times, all of these things are done for the same reasons.

The two party system forces you to make the choice you are currently staring at. How important is it to you to have a Republican in that seat? If its more important than which Republican then you should probably vote the party line --- which kinda sucks.
                    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                    Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                    ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

I can't comment on your exact situation, as to be honest I'm not even sure of everything you are talking about ;) However I always vote tactically. For all the UK system (which is far from perfect) is knocked, the one advantage it really has is the ability to vote someone out (be it a party or a particular person).

In the last elections I wanted to vote Labour. This is because, regardless of all the other policies) the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats simply could not put together an effective government in my opinion. I'd rather have a strong government that does a few things I don't like than one that cannot govern at all.

There was a big problem for me however. At the time I lived in a marginal Lib Dem / Tory constituency, with Labour a distant third. Being a rural area Labour got little support, and even if everyone who wanted to vote Labour didn't vote tactically there was still no chance of them taking the seat. Thus I was left with a choice between the other two main parties if I wanted my vote to 'count'.

Realising that the Lib Dems in power would be a disaster (in my opinion a third party is able to make very good promises knowing that they will never have to deliver on them), and the local candidate was a complete twonk too, I voted Tory. My dad (a lifelong Tory voter being a small business owner) felt that he could never vote for a party that supported fox hunting, and so voted Green.

In addition to the General Election (to vote an MP intot he house of commons) there is also a local election to elect in people to the local government councils. This is a much easier choice for me. Local elections are totally separate to government elections, and don't influency polices. I always vote conservatives, because the Lib Dems waste cash on useless things, and Labour always overspend and are late on delivering. The conservatives are far more business like and you get a lot more for your taxes.

I'm not sure how this relates specifically to your circumstances as I don't know the split on nationwide / local power that the positions in question exert, but maybe you can draw something from my experiences.

Comment

I can only add that Magnum and I (as well as you it seems) have similar voting philosphy's - particularly when it comes to 'not voting' - if you don't know, don't vote. I've never written my name in though - although I'd be careful.. look what happened to Dirt13.

After that - Make you most educated voting decisions about who will best represent you in your neighborhood, and extend it out from there. You local politicians can have more impact on you and your community, and they can do it more quickly than any other politician further from you.

There is another election in a few years, if it didn't turn out your way - you still voted your personal desires and that is what counts.
                        IMO.
                        Last edited by P8riot; 09-12-2006, 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos View Post
                          Both parties have done everything they can to make it easier for them to keep their seats. Voter registration laws, redistricting, you name it politicians do it to keep their jobs and their party in power. Of course its not just them -- individuals voting in the opposite parties primaries, individuals taking advantage of no ID requirements and voting multiple times, all of these things are done for the same reasons.

The two party system forces you to make the choice you are currently staring at. How important is it to you to have a Republican in that seat? If its more important than which Republican then you should probably vote the party line --- which kinda sucks.
                          Well, this may sound odd coming from a Republican, but here goes:

It is important for me to have a Republican in that seat. I do not want to see the US Senate controlled by the Democrats. HOWEVER: I also do not want to see BOTH houses of the government controlled by the Republicans. I voted for GW in both of the past presidential elections. Overall, I think he could have been a great president. My biggest qualm is the dysfunction I see without a balanced government made up of both parties. I think the past four years would have been better had we seen the Democrats in control of the house. I think that balance is needed to keep the country on track for ALL of its citizens, and not just for one party.

I fear what we're going to see in 2008 is the exact opposite of what we have now. A democratic senate, house and president. I think that will be just as dysfunctional as things are today.

Comment

Vote the guy you'd like to see win. Even if he doesn't beat the democrat, he can't even get a shot to unless you cast your vote and give him that chance.
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Dysfunction is the territory of politics and politicians.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X