Borat, the movie

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borat, the movie

Warning - mildly NSFW photo.

This guy cracks me up.

Cohen, 35, creator of Ali G, has infuriated the Kazakhstan government with his portrayal of Borat, a bumbling Kazakh TV presenter.

And now a movie of Borat's adventures in the US has caused a diplomatic incident.

The opening scene, which shows Borat lustily kissing his sister goodbye and setting off for America in a car pulled by a horse, had audiences in stitches when it was first shown last week.

Re: Borat, the movie

The trailers for the movie are hilarious. I especially like where he's at a rodeo and the fans cheer him wildly when he says his country "fully supports your war of terror" (instead of on terror).
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

The same actor also plays the French race car driver in Talladega Nights, another comedy classic. He's sort of a chameleon actor.

I saw him at Comic Con in San Diego, funny stuff.
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
      - Check me out on The Onion
      - I'm on the local news!

I can't wait for this movie. He was by far my favorite charater on Da Ali G show.

Obligatory Borat vids:

Borat in England

Borat in America

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
            I only watched the first half of the video, but he goes to the same shooting range that I go to!
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

His shining moment so far was getting a cowboy bar to sing "Throw the Jew Down the Well" with him. I died a little bit when I saw that.

That's one of those songs that gets stuck in your head, too.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  I only watched the first half of the video, but he goes to the same shooting range that I go to!
                  Give Ken a high five for me Cing. He handled Borat the best ;)
                  Last edited by Rincewind; 09-16-2006, 10:29 PM. Reason: names names names
                  ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                  No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Sasha Baron Cohen, the comedian/actor who brings us Borat, did two seasons of 'Da Ali G Show' - if you like Borat, I highly recommend them (Borat is one of three characters in the show).
                    They are pretty cutting, though - Borat is to Kazakstan as Bruno is to male German homosexuals.

Also, I gained some interesting insight into how Mr. Cohen sets up his interviews and 'discussion panels.' I was watching the show one night, and I recognized my childhood dentist on one of his panels. No kidding. So I actually emailed the guy and asked him. He said that he was told it was a taping for a British children's show. They never told the guests - even after the cameras started rolling. Afterwards (fortunately) everyone was able to laugh about it. I guess not all the sketches work that way. Many interviewees - Andy Rooney, for example - get up and leave.

Asked if he started watching the shows, my dentist said "it's not really my style of humor." Is it yours?

My wife glanced at the advertising poster in the theatre and instantly de-anagramed Borat into "Torba", meaning bag. The poster had him holding his worn leather bag. What does that mean, you ask? Heck, what does anything he's doing in his videos mean?

As far as the "style of humor", that video for me is like a roller coaster, I'm smiling after it's over. I just squint in embarassmant at that stuff. But somehow I see myself doing the same kinds of shenanigans. My wife was laughing hard through most of it.

Regarding the shooting range: One thing about acting dumb or crazy, it's eye-opening and even scary when someone acts dumber or crazier than you and really, really digs it. I give a lot of credit and appreciation for this part and the "Throw the Jew Down the Well" part, because no matter how much Hollywood tries to act crazy or "extreme" to entertain the masses, honest life is always crazier.

Edit: My stream-of-conscience continues! AMosely saw his dentist on Borat, CD saw his shooting range on Borat. When was the last time you saw something on a Brittney Spears video or anything in "mainstream" entertainment you could really relate to? More points for honest humor.
                      Last edited by shroompicker; 09-24-2006, 12:14 AM.
                      -- Shroom
                      I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

I Love U S & A!

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Borat got dissed!

Secret Service agents turned away British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, in character as the boorish, anti-Semitic journalist, when he tried to invite "Premier George Walter Bush" to a screening of his upcoming movie, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

Also invited to the screening: O.J. Simpson, "Mel Gibsons" and other "American dignitaries."
                          "If there is one more item of Uzbek propaganda claiming that we do not drink fermented horse urine, give death penalty for baking bagels, or export over 300 tonnes of human pubis per year, then we will be left with no alternative but to commence bombardment of their cities with our catapults," Borat said

It's here.

I live adjacent to the City of Salem that Borat punked at the rodeo national anthem stick.

He chose well. Salem is very American.

Rick looks over todays paper.

What will "Borat" do for Salem?

"I'm assuming, if [the scene is] still in there, it will give national exposure, good or bad," said Salem Mayor Howard Packett, who has lived in the city for 40-plus years and who might see "Borat." " You take the good with the bad. I think people are pretty well offended by it. Now a lot of people will know where Salem, VA., is, maybe."

Salem resident, Robynn Jaymes, and Star Country radio personality remembers:

"It was quite awkward," she recalled. "We figured out quickly that we had been had. It was bad. I lived it once. It was so uncomfortable. It was meant to be funny. Emotions were still running high about the war. I don't get the people who say he's brilliant. Ray Romano is funny. Jerry Seienfeld is funny"

How long is Salem's cameo?

The rodeo scene-which Borat attempts to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and makes comments aout President Bush and the war in Iraq before a crowd-is a few minutes long, said Julia Perry, a Twentieth Centrury Fox publicity diretor.
                            (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                            (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                            (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                            Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                            Commander pledge to their SL:

A must see for all ages. Really, Im going, my parents want to go, and my younger sister wants to see it too...

I'll probably go the day it comes out, but the rest of the family likes to wait a few days so's the crowed isnt as bad.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed