Q for vets - MOH vs. CMOH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for vets - MOH vs. CMOH

There is a discussion going on in another forum I frequent. I referred to the Medal of Honor as the Congressional Medal of Honor. I was told that it was disrespectful to add the "Congressional" because that is not the official title. If I was referring to the MOH as that "[email protected]!*&ing Medal of Honor" I would agree. Now...I will be the first to bow to the knees of the wearer with utmost respect and piety. However, I told the person he was splitting hairs.

So, am I being disrespectful?
    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Re: Q for vets - MOH vs. CMOH

I think it's ignorant, but not disrespectful. In fact, it's often formally referred to as the CMOH, incorrectly. The largest (I think?) fraternal organization dedicated to the award is called the CMOH Society, as well.

So, no, not disrespectful.

http://www.cmohs.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yes, however the CMOS was created by congress and that is why they have put that in their name. I read that on their website.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

The CMOH is still the highest medal that can be awarded to military personnel. I dont know who told you that you drop the "congressional", but they're wrong and have been playing to many Medal of Honor games on their computer. Matter of fact, there is standing doctrine that states when a medal is awarded, the reading of the award goes: "On behalf of the United States of America, the President of the United States is authorized to present, in the name of Congress, this medal of honor to _________________ for being distinguished in his/her gallantry, bravery, and actions above and beyond the call of duty in the armed service of these United States of America."

Edit: I just spoke with my uncle who is a navy cross awardee as a copilot for a rescue mission in vietnam. The pilot of his aircraft got the CMOH for their actions and my uncle said that he probably would have slapped anyone that called it either a "moh" or "cmoh" or "the medal". Apparently the ONLY appropriate way to refer to it is by actually saying "congressional medal of honor" and anything less is considered disrespectful (something about the fact that you're abbreviating the highest medal anyone can get in the US makes em mad).

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          I dont know who told you that you drop the "congressional", but they're wrong and have been playing to many Medal of Honor games on their computer.
          The name of the award is the Medal of Honor. It is awarded on behalf of Congress; however, this does not change its name.

You may look up:

Title 10 USC § 6241 Establishing the authority for the Medal of Honor

32CFR578.4 Regulations concerning the Medal of honor

DOD Manual 1348.33, "Manual of Military Decorations & Awards" Which has chapters dealing with the "Medal of Honor" and is filled with references to the "MOH."

Calling it the "Medal of Honor" is not considered disrespectful. Telling people it is will only get them to feel embarrassed when they are corrected for it later.
          ---
          Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

My small contribution.

While in boot camp there was a person that had the Congressional Medal of Honor. All I know is that both CC's (Company Commader) told us to only use the term "Congrssional Medal Of Honor".

On a side note I have seen two Congressional Medal of Honor holders and they are the most average looking dudes I have ever seen. One I actually talked to while in the base gym at Orlando. Didn't know it till months later when my Chief pointed him out. The only thing I remember about him was he liked college football (USC I think but not sure.) But I do know he did not wear it on a daily basis, but people did act funny around him. I was too ignorant to act any different.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have talked to someone affiliated with the Consgressional Medal of Honor Society about this. He said the following; "It's not at all disrespectful (to put in the word 'Congressional'). MOH recipients will rarely even correct someone who adds that word to the title of their award....I've spoken to more than 70 recipients over the past 20 years and have yet to hear any of them correct someone for using this common misnomer. The person who says that it IS disrespectful is someone who is definitely nit-picking."

Ferris, I agree that verbally abbreviating it is disrespecftul.

Switchcraft said
              Calling it the "Medal of Honor" is not considered disrespectful. Telling people it is will only get them to feel embarrassed when they are corrected for it later.
              I was referring to being told it was disrespectful to add "Congressional" to the title not the other way around. Sorry, if I messed that up.
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X