Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont know who to be mad at on this one...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont know who to be mad at on this one...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nce_passion_dc

The best part of the news story

The brothers -- Patrick, Jean-Marc and Gerard Benlolo -- said at a hastily-arranged hearing that they as Jews felt insulted by the film, which they had not seen, and were sure it would provoke anti-Semitic violence.
    They're offended by the movie yet have not seen it yet, wtf? Go see the damn movie, then form an opinion on it, dont go by what others say.

Re: Dont know who to be mad at on this one...

Originally posted by _Ender_
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nce_passion_dc

The best part of the news story

They're offended by the movie yet have not seen it yet, wtf? Go see the damn movie, then form an opinion on it, dont go by what others say.

people never like to be told that they have done wrong.

the jews are embarressed that it was a jewish person responsable for the killing of christ, and they dont want to admit that.

even though in the real sense this isnt strictly true it is the general beliefe people hve. therefore they dont want to see that. from my understanding the film actually doesnt persecute the JEWS BUT shows the general actions of a few corrupt jewish people.. and i did not see the evil jews as shylock etc etc... but i have only seen clips

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
      people never like to be told that they have done wrong.

the jews are embarressed that it was a jewish person responsable for the killing of christ, and they dont want to admit that.

even though in the real sense this isnt strictly true it is the general beliefe people hve. therefore they dont want to see that. from my understanding the film actually doesnt persecute the JEWS BUT shows the general actions of a few corrupt jewish people.. and i did not see the evil jews as shylock etc etc... but i have only seen clips

I'm wondering if "Schindler's List" got as bad of publicity because it put Germans in a bad light?

Comment

I don't do religion, hence, that part I shall leave out.
        On the other hand, doesn't each country have their own cencors who check and certify the movies before they are released to the general public? Those brothers have jumped the gun and are seeking for something they have no TRUE opinion about since they have not seen the movie yet.
        Have they seen it before requesting it's ban the story might have been different, as it stands they are just plain ignorant babling idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Fait_Maker
          I'm wondering if "Schindler's List" got as bad of publicity because it put Germans in a bad light?

exactly, i am not sure the gewrmans could argue like the jews though. considering it was very recent. but it is stupid, they have not seen the movie but the say its anti semetic. hoow would you know.

it only follows what happens in a less than fairy tale way.. i.e all other christian based films. it illustrates the human nature behind what happened..,

its not an attack as such on the jewish people and religion.

ofcourse it will not agree with the jewish religion, after all its the bible. christian... not the torah.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

The Torah is all but identical to the first 5 books of the Old Testament in the Christian Bible (same source text, different translations). You're probably thinking of the Talmud or the 3rd set of important Jewish texts that I can never remember the name of. [Students of the Jewish faith please feel free to correct me!]

That being said, it was the Roman occupiers that actually performed all the physical punishments, admittedly at the Jewish high priests' instigation. But since Jesus was a Jew I fail to see how it's anti-Semitic. As I understand it, Christianity didn't really begin until after Jesus was dead and martyred, because he was essentially trying to reform the Jewish faith, not replace it. Religious splinter groups who simply want to believe their own thing and live in peace go find a new place to live where they won't have to deal with the status quo, or they go underground until they've got enough support to assert independence. I think the fact that they started protest marches on Jerusulem and Jesus' fit in the Temple market indicates a desire to change the status quo for all. It failed, Jesus' supporters went underground, and now Christianity and Judaism co-exist. I'm rambling. My point is that the movie is Jew-instigated Roman violance on a radical Jew. That doesn't seem particularly anti-Semitic to me, or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Edit: I haven't seen the movie yet because I don't know that I'll be able to stomach the gore. I'm basing my arguments on what I know of the story that I believe is included by scanning the website. Corrections from real audience members are welcome.

2nd Edit: I guess by this token, Ender, I'm as guilty as the dudes in France!
            Last edited by Geisha; 03-28-2004, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I think the brothers jumped the gun on this one. C'mon, Mel made the movie based on the Bible, seemingly as an historical telling of what was written, he didn't do anything extra to the storyline to make the Jews appear badly, he just put into video what was recorded there. People need to lighten up a bit....

Comment

From what I've seen, the people talking about this "controversy" generally have a stake in the movie's performance, three clowns in France excepted of course...

I've seen people involved in the movie talk about how others are complaining that the movie is antisemetic, but I haven't seen many jewish leaders actually saying anything at all about this movie.

Every couple of decades Hollywood drags out a "controversial" movie about Jesus or the Bible and makes a quick $100M of so...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X