Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all the fellow techies (and computer literates, too)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the fellow techies (and computer literates, too)

Intel PEBKAC commercials:

http://www.intel.com/vpro/pebkac.htm...otlight_pebkac

Most of the time my expression is either like the one in #17 or #3.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: For all the fellow techies (and computer literates, too)

exactly. Try working at a schools IT department and getting phone calls from Professors with multiple PHds. Same exact thing
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

lol, nice stuff.
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
        exactly. Try working at a schools IT department and getting phone calls from Professors with multiple PHds. Same exact thing
        I work for the University of Illinois, and my department runs the biggest set of public computer labs on campus. I'm already there, man.

I don't know what's more sad; the slew of people that have had this technology all their life yet still don't have a clue how to start Word, or the professors that refuse to listen when we say, "No, we can't install your software on all our computers for use in a class 10min from now."
        [squadl]

Comment

OMG! The internet is on computers now? ;)

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
            I work for the University of Illinois, and my department runs the biggest set of public computer labs on campus. I'm already there, man.

I don't know what's more sad; the slew of people that have had this technology all their life yet still don't have a clue how to start Word, or the professors that refuse to listen when we say, "No, we can't install your software on all our computers for use in a class 10min from now."

O thats the best one, or they want me to burn a DVD movie they bought so the rest of the class and watch it for a class assignment. i have so many stories of professors

Internet wont work..."well do you have the cable plugged in" no...
            no picture on the monitor "is the monitor on"...no..

The best one is the non-system disk error....REMOVE THE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY!
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Heh, I'm basically in charge of our hardware repairs and troubleshooting, and am usually the first person to look at any trouble tickets. I'd be classified probably as Tier 2 tech support, Tier 1 being an experienced student lab manager and Tier 0 being the actual student sitting in the lab answering customer questions. These are the people that open up the tickets that I go out to resolve.

For a while, I had a rash of problems with computers that wouldn't turn on, and our employees in the field couldn't figure it out. Ninety percent of the time the machine just wasn't plugged in. I had a huge (sad) laugh one time when I got a job that said, "Computer won't turn on, I checked the power cord and everything). Well, when I got to the lab I didn't know whether to laugh or cry because the power cord was sitting right on the desk, not plugged in at all.
              [squadl]

Comment

I feel your pain as I'm in the IT proffesion aswell. Check this link out. The best Computer Stupidities ever. http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=156328

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Sales rep that works out in the field called in to our service desk to tell us that he spilled water on his laptop and it's broken. No problemo, we have spares and will FedEx one out today, return airbill will be in the box so he can just put the broken one in the box and drop it off at any Kinko's, etc...

Couple hours later he calls in and says to cancel the new laptop.. Tech couldn't figure out why because the guy had told us the laptop was dead. Guy said he just couldn't wait for the new laptop to arrive so he put the laptop in the oven to dry it out, but, not to worry because he only put the oven on at 150 degrees. But, he'd like help figuring out why it is so slow now.

We try to be a pretty customer service oriented IT department.. But, man, when you have people that think baking their laptop is a good idea it's really hard to just not want to reach through the phone and strangle them.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                    he put the laptop in the oven to dry it out, but, not to worry because he only put the oven on at 150 degrees. But, he'd like help figuring out why it is so slow now.

We try to be a pretty customer service oriented IT department.. But, man, when you have people that think baking their laptop is a good idea it's really hard to just not want to reach through the phone and strangle them.
                    That's actually an excellent idea. 150 degrees is not hot enough to damage anything directly and not hot enough to vaporize the water fast enough to do any damage... When I was working on electronics, we used heat guns and women's blow dryers (which both get well above 150 degrees) to dry out gear that was brought to us full of sea water. 'Course we washed it with fresh water and alcohol first...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I want to bake a computer now :(

Cing, if 150deg doesn't hurt a computer, why are you advised never to take a CPU above 100degs?

(I assume we're all talking celsius here...)

Comment

I worked alot of hours last year in the computer lab (this semester I'm mostly working in records and only a few in the lab), and for a week or two all the other lab monitors apparently never bothered to open work order tickets for comp problems we got (since we lab monitors do not have admin rights for the computers). Well, that left ME doing most of the calling to university tech support (the route we're SUPPOSED to go instead of me calling the right guy directly....gotta love the system *roll eyes*) most of the time. Yeah, those guys got to know my voice really well, and usually it was cheerful, b/c I actually DO fix computers (usually working with PEBKACs...girls usually....who had virus-ridden computers.....usually with corrupted OSes due to the viruses, and thus needing a complete reformat/reinstall....this usually came with a lecture on how to safeguard their computers) and knew just what info to give them, what I'd done already to either fix or identify the problem and what was still going wrong.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn View Post
                          I want to bake a computer now :(

Cing, if 150deg doesn't hurt a computer, why are you advised never to take a CPU above 100degs?

(I assume we're all talking celsius here...)
                          I assumed Fahrenheit, but to answer your question, it's because the temperature of a CPU is measured at a point other than the hottest part of the chip. Even though it's 100 degrees at the temp sensor, it could be 300 degrees on that one run in the core (I pulled that number straight out of my ass, BTW).

150 degrees Fahrenheit won't even melt most plastics. Heck, it's on the low end of temperature for most saunas...
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X