Teraflop performance for the mass.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teraflop performance for the mass.

Intel is at it again... I wonder what AMD is doing.

Intel has a 80-Core processor that there testing.

Tom's Review

Also mentions Apple and Intel uniting and new games with support for multi-core's.
    Oyee

Re: Teraflop performance for the mass.

Interesting. I was reading up on the Core 2 Quadro the other day, and the last page of the article said that AMD was indeed working on something, just not being overly public about it. From what I can tell, Intel focusses on coming up with brand new architecture to increase processor performance, while AMD focusses on modifying current architecture to make it more effcient.

The important factor in all of this seems to be power consumption. Apparently the Core 2 Quadro sucks up way too much power right now (it uses as much power at idle as a Core 2 Extreme uses at full load), though they're working on changes to help out. I can only imagine how much power an 80 core chip would use.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Wait, did you just say 80 cores?

That is a whole lotta cores...
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I was around for that presentation the other day. I didn't get to see it, but I got to see the flurry of people going to attend it! I wanted to sneak in and steal me one of those wafers!
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          I was around for that presentation the other day. I didn't get to see it, but I got to see the flurry of people going to attend it! I wanted to sneak in and steal me one of those wafers!
          Sell it on the black market to AMD and get like one bazillion dollars. It'd be awesome to have an 80-Core computer doing around a terflop... Games would be outstandingly fun to play.
          Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X