• Looks like a good film: Flags of Our Fathers

Official Site: http://www.flagsofourfathers.com/
    Trailer: http://mfile.akamai.com/17690/wmv/pa...ailer1_lrg.asx

Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Re: Looks like a good film: Flags of Our Fathers

That is going to be a must-see for me.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Me too. I saw the author of the book speak a few weeks back, and its a really interesting story. Apparently, the guy's dad was the third guy from the right in the flag raising pic from Iwo, but he never talked about it. So after he died, his son went on this quest for information, talking to the families of the other soldiers who were in the picture until he found out everyone's life story.

Then he wanted to write a book about it, but wasn't having much luck finding an agent to represent his idea. He says he called 60 agents before finding one to represent him. Then his agent queried 27 publishers before finding one that would take a chance on the idea of a book that tells the story of the guys in the picture. Shortly after it was published it reached #1 on the NYT Bestsellers list, and Speilburg bought the rights to the film (above, duh).

Pretty inspirational stuff.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

must see for me too....Spielberg and Eastwood...man it's going to rock. Read the author's other book too-"Flyboys". It's about carrier pilots in the pacific war in 1944 & 1945
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Anything Paul Haggis touches turns to emotionally manipulative crap. I'll wait for the reviews.

Comment

I went to see some of the filming of this last year here in Iceland. Yes, they shot the beach scenes here in Iceland because the black sand beach and surrounding terrain was the best match they found for Iwo Jima.

They did a lot of pre-production training for all of the extras. I saw them the first day and they were alll a bunch of rag tags but after a couple of days they actually moved, talked, and "fought" like Marines. I am really looking forward to this movie.

I got to chat with Clint for awhile, awesome guy BTW.
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Has anyone seen this and able to comment on it? I'm reading the book and was wondering if it was worth going to see.
              It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

The reviews I've seen say that it's pretty poor. Too preachy, they say.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

to be honest, i fond alot of eastwoods films too preachy.... or just have damn crap endings like mystic river

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I saw it the day it was released. Thought it a masterpiece. Adam Beach should get a nod for Best Actor. A must see for me. Planning on seeing it again soon.
                    Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Hey I saw this movie Friday night. I went in with high expectations considering the names involved with the film.
                      I really enjoyed this film, though, I found my self comparing it mentally to saving private ryan and band of brothers while in the theater. It was pretty hard to not do this as several actors from both were in this film.
                      Barry Pepper and Neil McDonough come to mind.

The acting was top notch from nearly everyone involved though I found Jesse Bradford's character pretty wooden. I very much enjoyed Ryan Phillipe and Adam Beach's performances. Especially Beach's since I really wasn't impressed at all with his last war film "windtalkers"

In my opinion the biggest point of this film seems to be to to show how quickly Americans dump their heroes into the trash. I wont go into any more detail so I don't spoil anything but once you see it I think you might agree.

One other misconception (that even I held) is that this film is the story of the assault on Iwo Jima. While there is quite a bit of (factual) narrative that takes place on the Japanese held island, The story centers more on the story of the famous photograph and the subsequent use of it for publicity in the drive for war bonds (BUY 'EM FOLKS!).

I don't really have a "rating system but i do think of different factors when I tell someone if a movie is good. Anyway,

Story - 7 of 10 (good writing, but not really a masterpiece)

Special effects - 9of 10 (very realistic like S P Ryan)

Cinematography 6 of 10 (the battle scenes just don't draw me in as
                      much as in B o Brothers and in some places seem "tacked on")

Acting 8 of 10 (Jesse Bradford loses 2 points all by himself)

Comment

Always one of my favorite picture/statue, I never knew the story of the participants. I'll look forward to reading the book more than to see how Hollywood portrays it.
                        -33rd- BaneII
                        Smokers & Jokers

Comment

From watching the preview it seems like there is a lot about the selling of the war bonds and stuff after the flag raising and not so much about the war and the stuff leading up to the flag raising. The preview made me not want to watch the movie so much because I was looking forward to a "war movie". Is the preview accurate?
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

That would be accurate.
                            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                              From watching the preview it seems like there is a lot about the selling of the war bonds and stuff after the flag raising and not so much about the war and the stuff leading up to the flag raising. The preview made me not want to watch the movie so much because I was looking forward to a "war movie". Is the preview accurate?
                              LOL! Look two posts up from yours!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X