Google earth question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google earth question

A buddy of mine in the office is celebrating Ramadan. The other day I saw him sitting his chair praying, and it seemed to me that he was facing roughly North. We're in Houston, so whatever prayer he was cooking up missed its mark by a long shot. Maybe Santa Claus can do him a solid or something.

Anyway, we're trying to find an elegant way to tell the direction one should face when sending a shout out to Allah. For those who don't know, the Kabbah stone is in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and when muslims pray they face Mecca, specifically the Kabbah stone.

The idea solution would allow us to pull up a map with a red line between one's current location and Mecca. I don't see a way in google earth to get this as-the-prayer-flies direction indicator, but I've used the app for about 5 minutes.

I'd appreciate any ideas of suggestions. A clever developer might make a few dollars off of this, as I'm not seeing anything on the web that's already been done.

Re: Google earth question

Tools->Ruler

:D

edit:

Comment

Thanks!! Maybe we infidels will get a couple of skanks in the afterlife for this.

He thought he should be facing E too, but now that I see the map, his prayers were much closer to the mark than we knew!

Comment

Looks like technically he should be praying down, but then the mole people might hear.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

who made North UP on the maps anyway??

Comment

This is actually a complicated question. Are you trying to face the direction which gives the shortest path, or in any direction which gets you there?
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I pray in the direction of TG's PoE2 server. But that's just me...
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                I pray in the direction of TG's PoE2 server. But that's just me...
                I've never tried praying. Usually I just curse in the general direction of the internet while I'm staring at a "There is a problem with your connection" screen.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  Tools->Ruler
                  FTW!
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                    This is actually a complicated question. Are you trying to face the direction which gives the shortest path, or in any direction which gets you there?
                    If it was the shortest direction he would kinda pray into the ground and if its along the surface of the earth then how does he know his prayer will bend around the curvature of the earth and not just go out into space.

Joking aside, I'm sure the muslims had this direction thing all worked out even before the advent of computers

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                      Joking aside, I'm sure the muslims had this direction thing all worked out even before the advent of computers
                      No, I know a couple of guys that argue over which direction they should face...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        No, I know a couple of guys that argue over which direction they should face...
                        They should face eachother, look deeply in to eachothers eyes, embrace, and kiss.

Oh, you said a couple of guys... Meh, what the hell...
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X