Allow me please: RIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow me please: RIP

Please allow me the opportunity to share this information in the sandbox area, the incident is well known in the law enforcement community, but alot of times I don't think the public ever realizes or cares to realize the sacrifices some officers make.

I don't post it to get a bunch of sympathy, but to enlighten the next time you get stopped, why, just maybe why, the officer seems to be a little to demanding about what you do and what you reach for.

I knew this officer and his dog, I went to a week long K9 conference with the team last year... it's sad for the officer, (his family) and the dog, who in most news reports didn't warrant mention.

copy/paste from "The Officer Down Memorial Page" (link in my signature and worth checking out once in a while for a reality check.)

Deputy Sheriff Vernon Matthew (Matt) Williams
    Polk County Sheriff's Office
    Florida
    End of Watch: Thursday, September 28, 2006

Biographical Info
    Tour of Duty: 12 years
    Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Gunfire
    Date of Incident: Thursday, September 28, 2006
    Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
    Suspect Info: Shot and killed

Deputy Williams and his K9 partner, Diogi, were shot and killed while pursuing a suspect who had fled on foot during a traffic stop. Another deputy had stopped the vehicle for a traffic violation and the suspect fled on foot into an adjoining wooded area.

Deputy Williams and Diogi arrived moments later and began searching for the suspect with the other deputy. The suspect opened fire on the deputies as they tracked him, fatally wounding Deputy Williams and Diogi, and wounding the other deputy in the leg.

Later in the day the suspect emerged from the woods and fired at a Lakeland Police Department officer who was alerting residents to stay away from the area. The officer returned fire as the suspect fled back into the woods.

The suspect was located by SWAT team members the following day hiding underneath a fallen tree that had been covered by underbrush. The man was shot and killed by the officers when he failed to obey their commands and displayed a firearm.

Deputy Williams had served with the agency for 12 years and was assigned to the Northwest District K-9 Unit. He is survived by his wife and three children.
    RIP Matt.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Allow me please: RIP

RIP
    Last edited by leejo; 09-29-2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

RIP

Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The [noparse] tag allows you to type RIP in a post all by itself.

[noparse]RIP[/noparse]

Handy in this thread, in which the following is so appropriate.

RIP
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

RIP
          sigpic

Comment

Hey Magnum, sorry for your and the communties loss. And you are right, the public dosent realy show the importance of the Police. The media only shows scandles and cover-ups. I will be the first to admit that I have been less appreciative towards our boys in blue. But that is neither here nor there...so RIP:(
            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Yes I'm sitting in Lakeland (work here) right now where this all happened. Sad.

Comment

Sad indeed. I work closely with the local officers in my part time job and would never want to do their job. My hat's off to all who take up the good fight.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Very sad indeed, RIP.

Comment

RIP
                    It makes me sad when I think about how little police make and what price they may have to pay for society. It's very disproportionate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                      RIP
                      It makes me sad when I think about how little police make and what price they may have to pay for society. It's very disproportionate.
                      So many jobs are like that, though. The police, firefighters, emergency workers, military personnel, ect. It makes no sense for it to be like that, really, but people do it anyway, and my honor goes out to them.

RIP
                      War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas View Post
                        So many jobs are like that, though. The police, firefighters, emergency workers, military personnel, ect. It makes no sense for it to be like that, really, but people do it anyway, and my honor goes out to them.

RIP
                        Yep, some jobs are only enjoyed by people with passion. I'd add school teachers to your list, too. Not so much for the danger, but for the contributions that they make to society, with such meager pay...
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

RIP

I too know many officers and I could only hope to contribute to society as they do every day.

Comment

RIP

May we keep his family in our prayers!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              Yep, some jobs are only enjoyed by people with passion. I'd add school teachers to your list, too. Not so much for the danger, but for the contributions that they make to society, with such meager pay...

I agree with all of this big time.

RIP
                              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server