Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raising Children, The greatest responsibility.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising Children, The greatest responsibility.

Raising Children, The greatest responsibility.

After watching stuff on 60 minutes about young adults and teenagers doing something called bum hunting {these four punks beat to death a homeless person] and getting an intell report on a Dateline episode on were a teenager had his great aunt knocked off for inheritance {his friends beat her to death with a iron skillet and tea kettle, took them some time to finish the job as she cried out for your nephew to help her, [ they told her that he wanted her dead while they murdered her], I feel that I must say the following:

If you are a parent, you had best get you’re a%$ squared away and raise your kids in a manner were they respect human life and have compassion for others or there will be hell to pay.

Cause you see, I am an infidel in every religion known to humanity. So there is a fair chance I’ll be in hell one day. And you had better believe I will find you when I get there or I will be waiting on you when you get there; either or I’ll bring the pain to you and the piece of human garbage you failed to raise properly.

P.S. Rick does not have any kids.
    Hopefully one day he will adapt once he is finically secure/has his stuff in order and the significant other is cool with this.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Re: Raising Children, The greatest responsibility.

Cause you see, I am an infidel in every religion known to humanity. So there is a fair chance Iíll be in hell one day. And you had better believe I will find you when I get there or I will be waiting on you when you get there; either or Iíll bring the pain to you and the piece of human garbage you failed to raise properly.
    Ya know Rick you have stated some pretty crazy stuff on these forums but I think this is the worst post you have ever submitted in this community and I don't whether to be offended or not.

I am a father of two children and don't need ridiculous threats from someone who doesn't know a thing about what goes into raising a child or the tireless efforts for parents to try and keep their children on a true path. Kids will make mistakes, some will be relatively minor others will make huge mistakes that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

I suggest you seriously reconsider your comments.
    sigpic

Comment

I apologize for offending you. The point of the discussion is to focus on the importance of the issue:
      Youths who feel it is fun to humiliate and beat the crap out of other people for hours. And also to plan and indeed help in the murder of their aunt who loved them.

I failed to estabish the main them of the thread. Bringing another person into the world is important and a huge responsibilty.
      I was hoping that those parents out their who have children who may not be putting much attention on them or infact neglecting them or may not know they are neglecting them may read this and perhaps have a moment of clarity.
      I hoped also that it would bring up discussion on what are the bio/social factors that are causing this.

The only thing I know about kids is that IMO they are the greatest responsiblity that a person will ever have. And that is way more than a lot of people who have been parents for decades.

The part you qouted was not made to be taken seriously and I was not threatning you or anyone. The only way I would bring the pain to someone I threaten would be if it were in hell, not on Earth. I would have enought stuff to worry about if there. Plus hell is a pretty big place so I doubt I would ever see anyone I know there.

Kids will make mistakes.
      I was talking about young adults and teenagers who are of legal age. Perhpas I did not make myself clear. My mistake.

I am comfortable with my comments.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Apologies accepted
        sigpic

Comment

I'm a parent of a 21 y/o, 14 y/o and a 3 y/o. Parenting is one of those things that people will never, ever get unless they do it themselves. Just impossible to predict or even define the million little nuances that go along with it.

I feel I was raised right by society. I'm fair, honest and belive in turning the other cheek for the most part. And I always wanted to hang around people who had a set a high bar for themselves and for others. This was reflected in the company I kept as a young person and in High School. I had just a handful of friends but we all were good kids.

One day one of my friends cut school with 2 other kids that were not usually a part of our regular social fabric. These kids were all from a good family and loved at home by their families. They asked one of the local homeless guys to get liquor for them while they were cutting school. The homeless guy took their money but tried to stiff them for the booze. The three kids cornered the homeless dude (vietnam vet to boot) in a yard close by the liquor store and started beating him to get their money or booze back. One of the kids pushed him down and stepped on his neck, crushing his esophogus and killiing him. The kids were caught, went to trial and spent the next 12-15 years doing time in Jail. When my (then ex ) friend came out of jail he was a hardened criminal and now is in the pen more than out.

He was a good kid from a good family. He made a tragic mistake that he'll pay for for the rest of his life. His parents had nothing to do with that.

Even on a more personal level. My eldest son ( stepson really) is a smart kid who could have the world in his hands. We offered to send him to college but wants nothing to do with it, instead finding satisfaction in a morass of drinking and hazy drug use. He's now on probation for a minor marijuana posession but continues to smoke pot and drink, violating the orders of the court. He's soon to obe picked up again to serve the remainder of his sentence in jail instead of out on the street. We are good parents who have fought tooth and nail to make his life a better one, only to see him squander it away because it's more fun to get high then it is to lead a straight and narrow life.

Rick--think about these things intently--I realize your intention was good...but the truth is exactly what drizzid said-- many times we can't control what our kids do no matter how good we live our lives or how raise our children.
          Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-03-2006, 09:34 PM.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If that post doesn't deserve +rep, Grunt, then I don't know what does...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

"You must spead some reputation around before giving it to Grunt70 again"
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Several dear friends of mine are recovering alcoholics or addicts. One is now 52 and got sober when he was 35, having spent most of his adult life flopping from one sucker to the next. Today he has a wife and two children, a terrific job, and is a terrific guy.

Through him I met a man who spent many moons in prison for murder. When I met him, he was a VP in his company and you'd have never known that he had done anything other than be an A student in MBA school.

This has nothing to do with parenting, but is, I hope, helpful to Grunt and anyone else who has a friend or family member struggling, or who may be suffering themselves. It is never too late for a life to turn around, and once it does, anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post

This has nothing to do with parenting, but is, I hope, helpful to Grunt and anyone else who has a friend or family member struggling, or who may be suffering themselves. It is never too late for a life to turn around, and once it does, anything is possible.
                  Thanks Leejo and the others who sent rep my way. I love my eldest son like no tomorrow. Like I said, he's smart and I'm hopeful that someday he'll see the light like I did...he reminds me of myself when I was 21 and pissed. Though I never did accumulate a record ...What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

It's certainly possible that one can do all the things and make all the choices a great parent does and makes and still raise a person who isn't flourishing. But it's compatible with that, that there are poor choices a parent can make that contributes to their raising a person who isn't flourishing. Indeed, that's why we say things like 'being a parent is a great responsibility'.

It seems odd to me to respond to this slogan by saying "we cannot control whether our offspring flourish or not, so don't pin the responsibility on me." Now, maybe you guys aren't committing to the latter part, but I take it Rick wanted to emphasize just how much of a role parenting plays in whether a person grows up to lead a decent life or not. Given the sort of reaction that's seen, it seems like you guys are wholeheartedly disagreeing with that. So, it seems you guys think that parenting doesn't play much of a role.

Maybe in this light you'll see that as a fairly reasonable thing to say, maybe you won't. I certainly think it's reasonable to think this. A quick look into family psychology journals shows that there is a significant link between the quality of parenting and the life of the resulting person. Nobody is saying that you can take a bad person and infer infallibly that he or she must have had bad parents. We agree people are autonomous and make their own choices. Sometimes they make poor choices even though they had a good upbringing. But, I think, it would be silly to think that nothing external to a bad person could have influenced that person to turn bad.

I don't quite get what the response to Rick is supposed to be.

Is it that parenting is hard? I see no reason, in his post, why Rick would think otherwise.

Is it that sometimes good parents raise bad kids? I see no reason, in his post, why Rick would think otherwise.

It is that usually good parents raise bad kids? Rick would probably disagree with that. But if that's what you're saying, I think lots of people would disagree with you.

I take it Rick wants to make this point: Bad parents usually raise bad kids. So, if you're a parent, don't be a bad parent. Why is that such an unreasonable thing to say? It's not as if Rick is telling you how to raise your kids. Indeed, he doesn't even say what makes a parent good or bad. All he says is, if one is a parent, then one should be a good parent. Who would think that that's untrue?

Comment

I thought we'd moved past this analysis when Rick and Drizz had their thing and apologized to each other. Now we're just doing the sandbox ramble.

With regard to parenting responsibilities, there most certainly are some important chores associated with the job. For example, Chris Rock says that if you see a girl dancing on a pole, that's the daddy's fault. I agree. Keep you daughters off the pole fellas!

Comment

I suppose I don't get why anyone was offended in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          It's certainly possible that one can do all the things and make all the choices a great parent does and makes and still raise a person who isn't flourishing. But it's compatible with that, that there are poor choices a parent can make that contributes to their raising a person who isn't flourishing. Indeed, that's why we say things like 'being a parent is a great responsibility'.

It seems odd to me to respond to this slogan by saying "we cannot control whether our offspring flourish or not, so don't pin the responsibility on me." Now, maybe you guys aren't committing to the latter part, but I take it Rick wanted to emphasize just how much of a role parenting plays in whether a person grows up to lead a decent life or not. Given the sort of reaction that's seen, it seems like you guys are wholeheartedly disagreeing with that. So, it seems you guys think that parenting doesn't play much of a role.

Maybe in this light you'll see that as a fairly reasonable thing to say, maybe you won't. I certainly think it's reasonable to think this. A quick look into family psychology journals shows that there is a significant link between the quality of parenting and the life of the resulting person. Nobody is saying that you can take a bad person and infer infallibly that he or she must have had bad parents. We agree people are autonomous and make their own choices. Sometimes they make poor choices even though they had a good upbringing. But, I think, it would be silly to think that nothing external to a bad person could have influenced that person to turn bad.

I don't quite get what the response to Rick is supposed to be.

Is it that parenting is hard? I see no reason, in his post, why Rick would think otherwise.

Is it that sometimes good parents raise bad kids? I see no reason, in his post, why Rick would think otherwise.

It is that usually good parents raise bad kids? Rick would probably disagree with that. But if that's what you're saying, I think lots of people would disagree with you.

I take it Rick wants to make this point: Bad parents usually raise bad kids. So, if you're a parent, don't be a bad parent. Why is that such an unreasonable thing to say? It's not as if Rick is telling you how to raise your kids. Indeed, he doesn't even say what makes a parent good or bad. All he says is, if one is a parent, then one should be a good parent. Who would think that that's untrue?

Rick's original post was a bit vague and having someone who doesn't have children and doesn't understand all the challenges of raising children make what was interpretted as a threat was unacceptable in my opinion. Rick explained his post in more depth and apologized for the misinterpretaion of his post.

I as well as probably every parent in this community understands their role as a parent. We are responsible for raising our children and molding them to follow a path to personal success. It's my job to teach my children, not keep them ignorant to this cruel world and the cruel people who live in it. But it is also my job to teach them to trust the good people that live in this cruel world. But when it comes down to it, it is the the choices that child makes when the parent isn't there that counts in their life. Nothing scares me more than the thought of one of my children making one of those mistakes that will haunt them forever and when it comes down to it, no matter how hard I or my wife has tried to prepare them to make the right decision, you just never know until it is to late. It's all about consequences and I am willing to accept those consequences for my own failures as a parent. I certainly am not the perfect parent but all I can do is the best I can do and hope it is enough.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                            Keep you daughters off the pole fellas!
                            I'm torn, do I say, "The innuendo flies. :D," or, "Don't listen to leejo, he's trying to defeat the human race."
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Go with your gut.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X