The Wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wire

Another TV show thread. I just got into The Wire after hearing a lot of buzz about their 4th (and now confirmed 5th and final) season. I've netflixed seasons 1 and 3 and am absolutely hooked. I'm actually re-watching season 1 now and enjoying it much more the second time, since I know who all the characters are. It's just an amazingly written show with some black humor. I highly recommend checking it out, but if you do... watch the shows in order, starting with season 1. Some review I read mentioned that each season plays like a novel, with each show serving as a chapter. That's definitely accurate, and if you jump into a season midway, you won't understand or appreciate all that's going on.

Any other The Wire fans here at TG? For the uninitiated, here's a choice scene from season 1. It's language definitely not safe for work, unless you have headphones plugged in. Not sure if this is indicitave of the great writing or not... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaThjQSK-2s
    Beatnik

Re: The Wire

Dude, I was introduced to this show just last week. I normally don't dig cop tv shows (csi, the shield, whatever) but this show has got me hooked. I'm just starting on the second season now after finishing the 1st last week. The writing is awesome, I've yet to find a character who I dislike, and the acting is awesome!
    I haven't been this hooked on a show in a long time!

Here's a the link for the show if anyone else is interested:

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Here we go again...

I used to say I never watched tv, but now I would be flat-out lying if I said that. :D
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
        Dude, I was introduced to this show just last week. I normally don't dig cop tv shows (csi, the shield, whatever) but this show has got me hooked. I'm just starting on the second season now after finishing the 1st last week. The writing is awesome, I've yet to find a character who I dislike, and the acting is awesome!
        I haven't been this hooked on a show in a long time!
        I totally agree. I'm not a fan of Law & Order necessarily or other cop genre shows (except for COPS, which I'm addicted to). The Wire (again this is stolen from some review) seems to be more about how different groups of people (cops, drug dealers, politicians, etc) conflict with each other. And NO character is flat or stock - they all have serious contradictions and foibles, and interact messily with one another. It's also co-created by an ex homicide detective (Edward Burns) who apparently provided a lot of the source material.

One thing that peeves me about a lot of military or police dramas is that they oversimplify otherwise interesting situations into 'good guys vs. bad guys' scenarios. The Wire eschews that and gives us plenty of good and bad parts of both the cops and the drug dealers/kingpins.
        Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X