Game interface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game interface

I just happened to hop on to naturalpoint's site (www.naturalpoint.com) and noticed this new stuff: http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/

I've been wondering when we'll start seeing some more interesting interface beyond wasd and the mouse. Might not be too far away.

Re: Game interface

Hmm... Are you thinking this is like a replacement for the mouse, or perhaps a way to introduce VR control into a game? Looks like it's just motion-capture equipment like they use for CG animation in the movies.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

VR control. These are the guys who make the trackIR that virtual pilots can't live without.

I think that with the current generation of graphics and cpu processors, not to mention the physics cards that are coming online, and the sophisticated modelling that now exists, the interface is the big choke point. I'm keeping an eye peeled for innovations in that area.

Comment

Ah, okay.

Yea, I'd love some new type of interface. I always know what I want to do, but either my mouse hand isn't fast enough or my fingers turn stupid and hit the wrong keys. Stupid fingers.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

That's my problem too ;)

Comment

This makes me think of the new Nintendo Wii and it's 'remote.' If you are not familiar with it, check it out. http://wii.nintendo.com/controllers.html

Comment

Exactly. There's no reason why you couldn't wrap gun-shaped plastic around that device and eliminate the on-screen crosshair, for example. Look through the scope and pull the trigger.

Just put on this hat with shiny stickers all over it, stand on this disk, put on these sleeves and pants, oh and hold this. Perfect!

Now explain what you're doing to your wife.

Still it would be fun.

Comment

I hope we get to what you're describing, leejo.

The primary obstacle, as I see it, is in making the new interface acceptable to the average consumer; the further away we get from the mainstream with tech like this, the smaller the available playerbase there is. And I prefer games with lots of people and action going on.

I hope the Wii succeeds, as that may pave the way for more widespread adoption of this stuff.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X