No announcement yet.

Next time you get a ticket, say thanks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next time you get a ticket, say thanks.

I know I've used this subject line before, but in Magnum's thread I was reminded of a story that I wanted to share. You might not think about it, but there are police out there risking their lives every day to make you safer. And it's usually a very thankless job.

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
    We just had an officer killed in the line of Duty here in PHX. He wasn't shot just a bad accident and he was on his patrol motorcycle. It's always sad to see an officer loose his life in the line of duty. I also have friends that are officers and some of the stories they have told are pretty scary. RIP
    This reminds me of another story that needs to be heard here. A story about a Phoenix officer that survived a horrible accident: http://www.officerjason.org/
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Next time you get a ticket, say thanks.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
    I know I've used this subject line before, but in Magnum's thread I was reminded of a story that I wanted to share. You might not think about it, but there are police out there risking their lives every day to make you safer. And it's usually a very thankless job.

This reminds me of another story that needs to be heard here. A story about a Phoenix officer that survived a horrible accident: http://www.officerjason.org/
    That is a hell of a story and she is a hell of a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

A good reminder Cing I actually went to the same high school as Jason. He was a year or two behind me. We really didn't know each other but when I heard the name I recognized it right away. He's a good man, with a wife that is incredible.

Jason just retired from the force due to not being able perform his duties because of the massive amount of injuries he suffered in the accident. He has a bright future ahead of him and I have no doudts he will be in the headlines of the papers in the near future.
      sigpic

Comment

I've given this advise before and I'll give it again...

If your stopped by a traffic cop, your most likely screwed and getting a ticket, because thats his job...his whole purpose in life at the moment is to write tickets, thats also why they are the most often hated cops, lol. I got to give it to them for what they put up with and go through. (There usually experienced officers who know the traffic laws and how to testify, and will show up in court.)

If your stopped by a brand new rookie, just out of training and on his own, you got a pretty good chance of getting a ticket, and they will also be by the book, strict, demanding, "put your hands where I can see them" etc ect... sorry, just deal with it and realize that one day within a 2 to 3 year on the job, he will wake up and smell the coffee and realize that police work ain't all about pissing people off and writing tickets.
        (the good news on that, is that they make mistakes, don't know all the laws, and don't have the testifying ability yet, so you may, just may, (but no guarantee), win it in traffic court.)

If your stopped by a regular street officer, especially at night, then most likely this is an experience cop (3 to 15 years on, 15 plus years rarely work anymore, lol, besides security checks and handling calls.) This cop doesn't want to write you a ticket, he is looking for other things like drunk drivers, drugs, stolen vehicles, what your doing driving around a closed business at night, etc etc.

If your not doing anything wrong and you don't cock an attitude, or ask "why you pull me over?" (yes, I know you have a right to know, but he will tell you in time, he wants to take a second and fish for information, clues of another crime.)
        Then within a couple of questions, no more then a minute of your time (without an attitude), you'll be on your way with a warning either written or oral.

Now you have a right to refuse permission to search your car, but understand, if you have nothing to hide most likely he will either just ask, and not search, or do a quick scan or check. BUT if you say "I know my rights and you ain't looking in my car". you are correct, but now he calls me, a K9 handler, while he writes you a citation because you can't be delayed while the K9 is en-route. the K9 arrives, and even if you have nothing in your car a outside "free air sniff" is done, if the dog alerts thats probable cause to detain you longer and go into the car, if not...you still were delayed longer and now have a ticket.

So unless your a die hard, "my rights" fan, then I would recommend you say yes to a search. I always ask that question just to see the response, depending on the response is how I proceed. Remember I am looking for signs of a criminal act, I could care less that your speeding on a empty road by 8 MPH over, thats not the point, just the justified reason for the stop.

These cops, especially us night cops, will miss alot of course, just to damn tired, if you were an ass, I will mark it on that back of my ticket and go to court just to stick it to you. (and realize most cops have everything on video/audio.)
        If you were just one of the unlucky ones that got a ticket, but had a good attitude (we have to protect our selfs and show that we don't only give tickets to the AH's, so we have to spread the love. lol) I won't show up to traffic court, and it will be dismissed. If I do show up, because I'm there for the other dick driver, talk to the cop, see what deal can be made, fine and no points is usually big because they don't want the insurance hick, most cops will bargain with a cooperative/friendly citizen.)

I personally will never stop a car without a valid reason, but realize there are over 300 traffic laws in the state of Florida, if I follow you long enough, I got a pretty good chance that you'll break one. lol

Good luck, and be nice. (and if your a bad guy, disregard all these, were going to get you sooner or later anyway. lol.)

and to show cops are human, and make mistakes, lol:
        http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...in_Cops_Pocket

He recovered 6 weeks later to return to work.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
          I've given this advise before and I'll give it again...

If your stopped by a traffic cop, your most likely screwed and getting a ticket, because thats his job...his whole purpose in life at the moment is to write tickets, thats also why they are the most often hated cops, lol. I got to give it to them for what they put up with and go through. (There usually experienced officers who know the traffic laws and how to testify, and will show up in court.)

If your stopped by a brand new rookie, just out of training and on his own, you got a pretty good chance of getting a ticket, and they will also be by the book, strict, demanding, "put your hands where I can see them" etc ect... sorry, just deal with it and realize that one day within a 2 to 3 year on the job, he will wake up and smell the coffee and realize that police work ain't all about pissing people off and writing tickets.
          (the good news on that, is that they make mistakes, don't know all the laws, and don't have the testifying ability yet, so you may, just may, (but no guarantee), win it in traffic court.)

If your stopped by a regular street officer, especially at night, then most likely this is an experience cop (3 to 15 years on, 15 plus years rarely work anymore, lol, besides security checks and handling calls.) This cop doesn't want to write you a ticket, he is looking for other things like drunk drivers, drugs, stolen vehicles, what your doing driving around a closed business at night, etc etc.

If your not doing anything wrong and you don't cock an attitude, or ask "why you pull me over?" (yes, I know you have a right to know, but he will tell you in time, he wants to take a second and fish for information, clues of another crime.)
          Then within a couple of questions, no more then a minute of your time (without an attitude), you'll be on your way with a warning either written or oral.

Now you have a right to refuse permission to search your car, but understand, if you have nothing to hide most likely he will either just ask, and not search, or do a quick scan or check. BUT if you say "I know my rights and you ain't looking in my car". you are correct, but now he calls me, a K9 handler, while he writes you a citation because you can't be delayed while the K9 is en-route. the K9 arrives, and even if you have nothing in your car a outside "free air sniff" is done, if the dog alerts thats probable cause to detain you longer and go into the car, if not...you still were delayed longer and now have a ticket.

So unless your a die hard, "my rights" fan, then I would recommend you say yes to a search. I always ask that question just to see the response, depending on the response is how I proceed. Remember I am looking for signs of a criminal act, I could care less that your speeding on a empty road by 8 MPH over, thats not the point, just the justified reason for the stop.

These cops, especially us night cops, will miss alot of course, just to damn tired, if you were an ass, I will mark it on that back of my ticket and go to court just to stick it to you. (and realize most cops have everything on video/audio.)
          If you were just one of the unlucky ones that got a ticket, but had a good attitude (we have to protect our selfs and show that we don't only give tickets to the AH's, so we have to spread the love. lol) I won't show up to traffic court, and it will be dismissed. If I do show up, because I'm there for the other dick driver, talk to the cop, see what deal can be made, fine and no points is usually big because they don't want the insurance hick, most cops will bargain with a cooperative/friendly citizen.)

I personally will never stop a car without a valid reason, but realize there are over 300 traffic laws in the state of Florida, if I follow you long enough, I got a pretty good chance that you'll break one. lol

Good luck, and be nice. (and if your a bad guy, disregard all these, were going to get you sooner or later anyway. lol.)

and to show cops are human, and make mistakes, lol:
          http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...in_Cops_Pocket

He recovered 6 weeks later to return to work.
          Good points.

I was just thinking back about the times I've been pulled over. I think the reason people get irritated with traffic cops is because of encounters like I had once:

Pulled over, polite to the officer, and I got NOTHING but bad attitude from him. He was pissed off, scolding me like I was a child, telling me to keep my g'damn hands where he could see them, etc.

He was just acting like a dick, he didn't need to be, he just was. Another bad encounter I've had was when I was in my motorcycle accident. I had just gone down, sitting on the side of the road with a fractured ankle and road rashed to all hell, when the cop comes up and starts screaming at me. Understand there was noone else involved in this accident, I was cutoff by a drunk driver (who drove away) and went down by myself not hitting anything or anyone. He felt the need to scream at me and tell me how stupid I was for going over the speed limit, etc etc. I am covered in blood, with one shoe on, barely knowing wtf is going on after sliding down the road 100 feet on my back at 80mph, and this guy is yelling at me. My nice sport bike is mangled next to me and I have to listen to this? I couldn't believe it.

Your point is valid, most cops are NOT *******s and I can testify to that because of how many times I didn't get arrested for underage drinking or whatever back in college. Just "get rid of it and quit making noise. etc." There are complete *******s who power trip in their badge and piss people off though. I will definitely try to think about the cops side of things next time I get pulled over though and keep my attitude in check.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X