Return of the Taliban

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the Taliban

Frontline does it again. I watched this new documentary last night and thought it was fantastic. The website alone is full of a wealth of material. Pakistan is not containing the tribal areas along its northern borders - Afghanistan is doing even less. Is the U.S. trying too hard in Iraq and not hard enough in Afghanistan? Will Al Qaeda rebuild itself under re-gained Taliban territory? Will the U.S. have to battle for Kabul all over again?

If you are at all interested in what is currently happening in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the mountains beteween, you need to check this out.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/taliban/

Re: Return of the Taliban

I caught the last 15 or 20 minutes. Scary stuff.

And that lovely scene with Bush and Musharraf was priceless.
    Beatnik

Comment

I seen on CNN a new analyis say the US needs to get the Taliban involved in the politics of that country. Give them some sort of role in the new goverment and hope they dont take it over again. Im not sure i totally agree with that idea, and why would he even bring it up
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Because that is Musharraf's strategy in Pakistan. It's also something that Bill Frist has said we should do in Afghanistan (ignoring for a moment that 2 months ago he would have described such a proposal as surrender).
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

The Taliban have existed in Afghanistan for a long time and will persist under one moniker or another. Allowing them into the government may help highlight those whom wish to destroy it. Or in a best case scenario, their newly refound legitimacy may cut the violent members out of the loop.

No way to know for sure what will happen, but I could see good reasons to let them back in to the government. The Taliban were not unti recently a political force, and need not be inherently anti-American.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I was trying to watch this last night but my audio for PBS wasn't picking up. I'm going to try and find it again and record it.

Comment

Awh man, I missed it. I rekon I'll order it. Got to support the team.

I bought Rumsfield's war a couple of years ago, and it rocked.

Thanks for reminding me.
              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Anyone who missed it will be able to view it online, probably starting next week (they tend to delay this after the TV release by about a week).

In case you don't know, there is a veritable vault of these documentaries available at the Frontline website (http://www.pbs.org/frontline)

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                  Anyone who missed it will be able to view it online, probably starting next week (they tend to delay this after the TV release by about a week).

In case you don't know, there is a veritable vault of these documentaries available at the Frontline website (http://www.pbs.org/frontline)
                  By the true gods!!

The website is very impressive.

It even has a detailed map with intell on the locations on the border of the two nations.
                  (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                  (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                  (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                  Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                  Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I think it is replaying this Saturday night at 9:00 or 10:00 PM EST for anyone that missed it. I have it set to record.

Comment

Finally watched this and it was indeed an insightful look into Pakistan, the Taliban and surrounding tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

Musharraf is really in a no win situation it would seem.

Comment

Love tivo...or digital recording ...whatever you want to call it. I've got my machine programmed to record Frontline and Nova. Basically the only two shows I watch with any kind of consistency.

Thought it was an insightful piece. Not really any surprises I must say. We're in it so deep for so long...man I wonder how we will ever get ourselves out of this mess.

Can't believe the number of people who just roll right along agreeing we are in an war without end...the morass of afghanistan, which is really just the tip of the iceberg...almost makes me think they are right.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed