Music Lovers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Lovers

I've always had a thing for music, especially trying to find new artists that don't get much airtime and thus don't get "played" out by radio, mtv, vh1 etc. One of the best sources I've found to get music that I've never heard before is

http://www.pandora.com/

This player is a product of the Music Genome Project (http://www.pandora.com/mgp.shtml) and is a great way to get introduced to some new music regardless of taste, style or popularity. I've been visiting this site for a few years, so many of you (if not everyone here) have probably know about it. Just thought I'd give it a plug because it's pretty cool.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Music Lovers

Whoa, this is pretty cool. I like almost all music, but I tend to be picky about what I really like and could listen to over and over. I went typed in Regina Spektor, and the site first played a song by Regina. Then the next song was from Chantai Kreviazuk, someone I've never heard of. The song rocked! I think I'll definitely play around with this, thanks for the link.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
      Whoa, this is pretty cool. I like almost all music, but I tend to be picky about what I really like and could listen to over and over. I went typed in Regina Spektor, and the site first played a song by Regina. Then the next song was from Chantai Kreviazuk, someone I've never heard of. The song rocked! I think I'll definitely play around with this, thanks for the link.
      Chantal is quite popular north of the border. If you like seeking out new music, you should definitely check out what Canadian musicians have to offer. It is sometimes shocking to hear that musicians I absolutely love are unknown outside of the country. And then the most unlikely folks like Avril Lavigne become superstars.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I'm going to need to dig into this a little. The project sounds pretty cool. I normally use allmusic.com (the 'similar artists feature) to find new bands, but this might make that job easier!
        Beatnik

Comment

No prob. Smoking. BTW I looked up Regina Spektor, I gotta say she's got a smokin voice!

@Beatnik. This'll definitely make looking for similar artists a lot easier. Majority of the music I've seen on this are bands/artists I've never even heard of so it makes searching even better!
          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Does anyone here use last.fm? It keeps track of all the music you've been listening to and provides weekly charts, as well as recommendations for music you might be interested in based on the listening habits of other people who like those bands.

Comment

I've never heard of it. I gotta check it out, thanks.
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I started using last.fm back when it was called Audioscrobbler. I like it alright but I've never really put it through it's paces for suggesting music. Heard Pandora was better for recommendations. Will have to give it a look this weekend.
                Never rub another man's rhubarb!

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                  No prob. Smoking. BTW I looked up Regina Spektor, I gotta say she's got a smokin voice!
                  Indeed; I like my female singers to have a voice that's capable of knocking you on your back with its power (not loudness). My boss turned me onto her with her song "Fidelity," which I loved not just for her voice but for the pizzicato/piano style. Another of hers that I would recommend if you haven't heard it is "Us." I didn't like it at first because of how her voice tones up and down irregularly, but it actually grew on me. Glad you liked what you heard of her. :)
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

This thread kills kittens, but Pandora is worth it...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, I like Pandora, but sometimes it goes off on unexplainable tangents that I can't quite follow. "A" for effort, though...

I heard Regina Spektor was going to be the "guest" on Subterranean Sunday night so I tried to catch it. I watched the tail end of TV ON THE RADIO last Sunday (good stuff!), but the first half of this weeks show was mainstream hip-hop. I must be out of the loop because that's not what I expect to see on Subterranean. Anyway, she didn't show up until the last 15 minutes of the show, and by then I was done sitting in front of the TV, so I stayed long enough to hear her speak several sentences. Her Russian accent is more prominent than you would expect...

Also, she's one of the "banned" artists I'm forbidden to play in my car when my GF is riding with me. She's a musician herself and deconstructs and criticizes all of poor Regina's work. Truly hates her. Ah well...

Comment

Pandora rocks, been using it for a while now.

I also find a lot of sweet music at http://www.allmusic.com

Comment

lol Coridon. It's not what SHE likes right? Oh wait, that's probably why I'm still somewhat single...
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

try www.musicovery.com. You can filter your search by genre, decade and/or mood. You can also choose between hit, non-hit and discovery to listen to popular tunes or unearth some bands you otherwise would never find. The quality isn't as good as pandora.com but its worth a look, especially since it adds a visual side to the music selection process.

Comment

wow this is a good site.. never heard of it before..
                              QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
                              Nice remark guys.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X