North Korea conducts Nuclear Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea conducts Nuclear Test

No details yet, it just came out a few minutes ago. But apparently North Korea has finally tested a live nuclear weapon.

Link

(note, they're still updating that story as we speak, so it may look different by the time you click on it then it did when I posted it)

Re: North Korea conducts Nuclear Test

So, what do you guys think is the proper response, and what do you think the US response will be? Chinese response? Japanese? S.Korean?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Not much response is possible outside of economic sanctions, leaning on China to decrease aid, UN denounces the test, yadda-yadda-yadda. Overall nothing really changes. On the upside, at least now the chances of instability within and war with the PROK should decrease.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I must admit to being skeptical until we hear a more reliable source confirm. Remember Kim Jong Il's first round of golf?

US Geological Survey detected a quake... so maybe it's real.

Can't find where I read it but Japan said something about re-arming if N.Korea did a test. This could get pretty intense.

Comment

The UN will use its dreaded 'harsh language' on N Korea. What a farce the UN has become with its lack of initiative.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Ah so it turns out that infamous flash "The End of the World" wasn't so off after all. Only instead of the US, it's North Korea. Oh well, I lost $10...

Time for those kangaroos in Australia to start growing a fur coat for the nuclear winter :)

-Sirusblk

Comment

IMO, the only reason N. Korea is doing the test's is because they are starving. How does starving have ANYTHING to do with Nuclear testing? I am glad you ask. As many of you know, N.Korea is a country driven by a CRAZY Dictator, who starves his people. Now that they have the "capablity" of Nuclear Capability(I know that sounds wierd), they have the whole worlds attention. With that being said, it will only be a matter of time before the US and the UN "bribes" N. Korea with food. And plus Kim Jong likes have the spotlight on him. This is all what I think, and I am fairly confident that this will all blow over very soon. If not, we are all in a world of poo!!!
              "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                Can't find where I read it but Japan said something about re-arming if N.Korea did a test. This could get pretty intense.
                That's something to really watch for. Japan has just elected a new more militarist government on the premise of re-arming.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

I immediately thought of Japan's new prime minister, Shinzo Abe, when I heard this news. Gone are the days of the Elvis-loving Koizumi! I also thought about South Korea, because if anything does happen, South Korea is going to get into it first. Of course, I also thought about the millions of desparate people starving, imprisoned, or slaving in North Korea today. Then I thought about the agression that America has displayed in recent years, and how that agression has been so gravely misinterpreted by a delusional Kim Jong Il. Who else out there is misreading America's intentions?

After all this, I seriously doubt anything militaristic will happen, and North Korea will not be using any nuclear weapons unless it is directly threatened. The country is too important to Kim Jong Il, who still believes that it can survive. This entire incident is a calculated risk that he took because he believes his country would be 'next' (after Iraq), and therefore required a bold move to prove its defensive stance. As crazy as it is, it makes sense to me.

Hopefully most world leaders will see it this way, remain standing down and not provoke an itchy trigger finger with nothing to lose. There has got to be a better way through all of this.

Comment

No sane person wants North Korea to acquire nuclear weapons. Though it seems to me no one is asking why wouldn't they want to acquire nuclear weapons? Put yourself in the position of the North Koreans. The leader of the world's most powerful military has threatened you in by calling you part of the "Axis of evil". What would you do?

North Korea is not Iraq. Thousands of artillery pieces are aimed at Seoul and the North has a far larger and better equipped army and arsenal than Saddam Hussein. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, would be killed with any type of attack on the North. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail. I'm not too optimistic, however, given the same people who said an attack of Iraq would be greeted as a liberation.
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                    - Check me out on The Onion
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

As much as I enjoy a little arm(s)chair generaling, note that we still do not know for certain that this was a real, successful test. From what I understand a shockwave of the size detected by the USGS could be faked by conventional explosives (something in the several hundreds of tons) depending on the local bedrock conditions. If it was a real Plutonium device, there's going to be some sort of radiological venting at some point. Supposedly we'll be able to detect that. They are chatting about it over on Defensetech and Military.com.

Regardless, I'm sure every eye and ear we have is trained on NK right now. Should be interesting what we and/or the government learns in the next few days.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

So, the best response to this would really be proving this test a hoax? Or would it? Do we really want to push Kim Jong Il to prove it?

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                          The UN will use its dreaded 'harsh language' on N Korea. What a farce the UN has become with its lack of initiative.
                          The US hasn't been very shining in its initiative, either. The president has threatened action before over the past few years if N. Korea didn't stop this thing or that, and didn't do anything when N. Korea went ahead and did it anyway.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                            No sane person wants North Korea to acquire nuclear weapons. Though it seems to me no one is asking why wouldn't they want to acquire nuclear weapons? Put yourself in the position of the North Koreans. The leader of the world's most powerful military has threatened you in by calling you part of the "Axis of evil". What would you do?
                            And thus Kim Jong Il made a time machine, in order to go back and start a nuclear weapons program in the early 1990s, years before Bush was ever in office.

I don't know what else I could say that would not be an ad hominem, but I do pity you, now realizing that there is apparently no event in all of recorded human history that you do not blame on Bush.
                            ---
                            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                              Not much response is possible outside of economic sanctions, leaning on China to decrease aid, UN denounces the test, yadda-yadda-yadda. Overall nothing really changes. On the upside, at least now the chances of instability within and war with the PROK should decrease.
                              What is the PROK?

In that region, there is the PROC, the ROC, DPRK, and ROK. Assuming you are speaking of the DPRK, what makes you think chances of war with them will decrease? We've been at war with them for more than 50 years already, I doubt Kim Jong Il is going to suddenly decleare peace in our time now that he has nukes. This is a guy who gets told he hit 11 holes-in-one on his birthday, the first time he ever played golf. I think given the economic crisis his country is in, he may think that actually using such a weapon in an expansion conflict might help them out in the long run.
                              ---
                              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X