Conrad Burns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conrad Burns

I thought I'd take a moment to point out a real loser. Meet Montana Congressman Conrad Burns. Consistently failing to represent public opinion, happy to take bribes and handouts (but give them back if he gets caught).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Burns

Greatest accomplishment (other than getting marginally elected)? Slipping in an ammendment to the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act that essentially caters directly to cattle and oil special interests despite repeated prior defeat due to public outcry. His solution? Slip it into the enourmous appropriations bill just before Thanksgiving, providing no opportunity for debate or even public disclosure. Textbook perfection on serving your private interest constituents.

http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com...rns_story.html

Re: Conrad Burns

Gee...catering to cattle interests? On behalf of a state that is primarily ranchland? SAY IT ISN'T SO! If most of your state relies on something, does it really count as a "private interest?"

I have 3 questions:
    1) Have you ever spent any substantial time in Montana?
    2) Did you just wake up this morning and say to yourself "today I will call someone a loser by pretending that the amendment he put in WITH THE HELP OF HARRY REID in 2004 that allows the slaughter of wild horses is somehow not in the best interest of his rancher constituents?"
    3) Other than the fact that the special interest group you linked to puts the word "oil" on that page without explanation, do you have a link to support the idea that allowing people to slaughter horses and sell the meat is a big priority for "special oil interests?"

He's been "marginally elected" 3 times now, yes? I assume you only know about him because the race actually looks winnable this time, so whatever lefty blogs you read are pounding the Burns story in the hopes that people will donate to the campaign against him? Doesn't that make you the shill for the private interest?

While I have disagreed with Conrad Burns many times (in person, since the guy you say doesn't care about public opinion holds offices in several locations across the state, and rotates through them each month. one per weekend, so that ANYONE can come knock on the door and speak their mind), he is most certainly not a loser. He understands the ranching and cattle businesses that have been Montana's lifeblood, and while maybe none of his votes seem like great accomplishments to you up in Maine, the fact that he has brought so much (and I mean SO MUCH) money into Montana has been really important to a lot of people here.

Personally...I hate earmarks. I think the idea of bringing tens of millions of federal tax dollars into a state to build a parking garage for a small town is ridiculously unfair. And I have said so to his face.

But he has also done a ton of work to bring money in to improve the tech industry in Montana, to research alternative fuels (must be that big oil stuff you were talking about, you know how they want us to move away from oil...), to improve communication systems across the state, and to funnel millions of dollars into our universities so they can be on the cutting edge of research. That kind of stuff means something to the people who actually live here. People who, I will reiterate, are ranchers and miners.

Oh, and hippies. Yep, hippies. There is a larger percentage of tie-dyed conspiracy theorists here than any other place I have ever been. Many of them live in weird communes and only come out to write "Bush caused 9/11" on cardboard signs and patrol the streets before lack of protein in their diet makes them weak.
    ---
    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

blammo! :D

Comment

Haha, this thread is fun.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

1) Yes. Lived in MT for 1.5 years before moving to Colorado for 10.
          2) No. I posted this up in the process of reviewing this year's election landscape and revisiting the atrocious record of Mr. Burns.
          3) Sorry for the special interest group link, but the last time I checked the only groups watching out for anything but money and corporate interests (special interest groups of a different sort) were such organizations - and sometimes the media.

I'm attacking a congressman who I think is a stinking example of what's wrong with American politics in the house of representatives. You're welcome to defend him, but don't attack me in your response - it tends to cloud any fact that you may include in your rebuttal.

Comment

Save phrases like "don't attack me" for when I actually do. It'll mean more. I'll touch on that in a moment, but before I get all wordy, I'd like to suggest that you not take a condescending tone like that in a thread you opened up using an ad hominem.

1) Okay, so if you lived there, why the antipathy to cattle interests, and why do you think Conrad Burns' votes in favor of them don't represent the wishes of his constituency?

2) Okay.

3) ...I take it this means you have no idea why you said the amendment catered to "special oil interests?" Which leads me to:

4) I'll say again, I wasn't attacking you, only what I saw to be a poorly considered post that made sinister sounding unsupported allegations about an amendment passed two years ago with bipartisan support. You're welcome to attack anyone you like, but if you're calling someone I consider a friend a "loser" without citing anything of real substance, then you're clouding your own arguments, which is why I didn't have to attack you, only point out how ridiculously specious your post actually was.

If you think that vote wasn't in the interest of the people of Montana, you should say why. If you think the vote was in the interest of the oil companies, you should say why (and maybe throw in a reason for why that makes any difference). If you think Conrad Burns has never done anything of substance for the people of Montana, you are wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong.

I won't be voting for him this year. I have told him why. I'll tell you why: the same reason people keep electing him. He steers hundreds of millions of federal tax dollars to communities in Montana, and I have a problem with that.
            ---
            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
              Oh, and hippies. Yep, hippies. There is a larger percentage of tie-dyed conspiracy theorists here than any other place I have ever been. Many of them live in weird communes and only come out to write "Bush caused 9/11" on cardboard signs and patrol the streets before lack of protein in their diet makes them weak.
              First off, leave the hippies alone! They are, by and large, harmless. I am glad they have found a home in Montana (far away from Oklahoma).

...the fact that he has brought so much (and I mean SO MUCH) money into Montana has been really important to a lot of people here.
              This seems to be the only worth a politician has these days. How much cash they can hand out. No wonder the congress seems so ineffectual and corrupt.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

3) ...I take it this means you have no idea why you said the amendment catered to "special oil interests?" Which leads me to:
                Because Oil companies stand to profit off of the 'harvest' of wild horses on their land and pipeline runs. Because the cattle industry stands to profit from the slaughter and sale of wild horse meat. Plain as day.

If you think that vote wasn't in the interest of the people of Montana, you should say why. If you think the vote was in the interest of the oil companies, you should say why (and maybe throw in a reason for why that makes any difference). If you think Conrad Burns has never done anything of substance for the people of Montana, you are wrong, wrong, a thousand times wrong.
                There was no vote on the Burns amendment. There was no discussion, no debate, no disclosure. No bipartisan - no partisan. Just one senator, slipping a rider in on a very large, very controversial appropriations bill over a weekend. No chance for debate, no chance for anyone even noticing. While this is not a new tactic by any means, it's a tactic that Burns has obviously mastered over his three terms. These are the same tactics he uses to push pork-barrel spending intiatives for the people and industries of the state of Montana.

Back to my main argument, of which the Burns amendment was only one example - that Burns is a real loser - one of many corrupt, immoral and bigoted politicians. I thought the Wikipedia entry summed up his record fairly accurately, so I linked it. Time magazine has him in the top 5 worst Senators this year. More recently, the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has him as one of the most corrupt members of Congress (http://www.beyonddelay.org/summaries/burns.php). He's had multiple speaking blunders, and has issued several apologies for using the term raghead, 'slave auction' and linking taxi drivers to terrorists.

Personally perhaps he is an OK guy. I wouldn't know. But as a senator, I believe he's been, and is, a loser.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                  Because Oil companies stand to profit off of the 'harvest' of wild horses on their land and pipeline runs. Because the cattle industry stands to profit from the slaughter and sale of wild horse meat. Plain as day.
                  I don't understand what you mean here. How would oil companies profit from this 'harvest'? And, why is it bad for either of these entities to profit from it?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X