is Nightqual addictive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Nightqual addictive?

Just wondering if anyone knows, is that over the counter cough/cold medicine, Nightqual, addictive?

I've been a big fan of Nightqual for years, get a head cold (about 2 or 3 times a year) take a few shots go to bed, wake up a new man.

Well a few weeks ago I had a head cold, took it, worked great as usual, so then on my nights off (Sun and Mon) I decided to take a couple of shots before bed even thou no head cold.

I sleep well, 8 to 10 hours, and wake up feeling great and well rested. (normally I don't sleep well, average 4 hours a day... mainly because I work nights, 11-7).

Well I ran out of nightqual so didn't have any to take last night... tossed and turned like crazy, was bothering my wife...so now I'm up... it's 4:30 AM... and I can't sleep... think I need some more nightqual!

:madsmile:
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: is Nightqual addictive?

I'm assuming you're referring to NyQuil, and I don't think that it's any more addictive than putting back a shot of your favorite whiskey. The main ingredient is alcohol, so if you're worried about being addicted to the medicine, but not worried about drinking a shot, you might want to buy a bottle of your favorite liquor to use on occasions when you don't have a cold. Having a shot of whiskey in some herbal tea works wonders for me when I just can't sleep.

Also, I just found out about a syndrome that I have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome
    I'm not sure if this applies to you, but for me, taking a quick hot bath helps considerably and I'm able to sleep soundly.

The combination of a hot bath, hot drink and alcohol should absolutely do the trick.

NyQuil is good stuff, but whiskey is cheaper and is more useful and tastes better, too!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ya, I think I may have that syndrome also, but not really when I'm sleeping. (Like I said, normally I only sleep 3 to 4 hours a day because of the night shift)...

but occasionally, when driving around in my patrol car, my legs will kill me, I get out and walk and nothing... I think it's that restless leg syndrome also, but for me it's only occasional... once a week to 10 days and usually from driving.

I got whiskey, so should try that instead of the Nyqual, but I guess I convinced myself if it wasn't an alcoholic beverage, I didn't have a problem. lol
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Yeah, I only get restless legs a couple of times a month, either while driving or while trying to get to sleep. For me, it doesn't really hurt or anything, it's like there's just some tension or pressure building up in my legs. Kinda like the same sensation that is relieved by cracking my knuckles.

As for the alcohol, well, I guess it's up to you. I grew up around my grandparents who had a drink every evening at 6pm. Just one drink (unless they were entertaining guests). <shrug> I've heard some people label that as a problem, but I don't see it that way. And if you've been chugging NyQuil, you've been drinking alcohol anyway, so switching bottles should save you some money if whiskey is just as effective!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I had a great uncle that "only" drank at night time. Exactly one shot of Jack Daniel's right before bed every night. He was around 80 when he died, so I guess it didn't do too much harm.

Of course, I also have the crazy aunt that thinks 8 Tylenol PM's before bed is normal.. and believes she isn't addicted, etc.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed