Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cute oped about upcoming Nevada pot initiative

http://www.reason.com/sullum/101806.shtml

To sum up, smoking pot is less respectable than a drunken gambling spree followed by a visit to a hooker
    Or d) all of the above. :D

Re: Cute oped about upcoming Nevada pot initiative

Reason.com ftw.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Nevada and Colorado vote on these two initiatives. The dam is going to break at some point in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
        Reason.com ftw.
        Am I the only one who sees "ftw" and thinks of a biker tatoo which stands for something completely different?

(google for "ftw biker")
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Its always been "for the win" and "for the lose" to me. Can't honestly say where I first encountered those acronyms...probably Starcraft.
          Last edited by Kerostasis; 10-18-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
            Am I the only one who sees "ftw" and thinks of a biker tatoo which stands for something completely different?

(google for "ftw biker")
            LOL, It wasn't till after I saw root use it that I realized it couldn't mean that and looked it up.

Comment

it's never been for the win to me. I guess I have too many biker friends.

Comment

The Colorado amendment is doomed to fail for a couple reasons:
                1) I believe the highly conservative base will be turning out in record numbers to vote for the marriage definition and against the domestic partnership initiatives and, while they're at it, against this law.

2) The wording in the blue book is so biased that even I would have voted against it if I hadn't taken the time to actually look up the Revised Statute. It states that under the new law it would be legal to transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to anyone over 15 years of age, without mentioning that if you sold it to someone 15 years old today you wouldn't punished under this statute because it would only be a $100 fine, instead you would be charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor.

Comment

Dont be surprised if it passes anyway. Remember that Denver already has that law on a city-wide basis. The amendment is to simply expand it from just denver to statewide, and with all of the college towns in colorado, i think its gonna have an easy ride (I live in boulder, easily one of the largest, if not the largest college town in colorado and they have 50-100 people roaming the campus every day promoting the amendment and they had a rally last week with over 10k people turning out in support).

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush View Post
                    The Colorado amendment is doomed to fail for a couple reasons:
                    1) I believe the highly conservative base will be turning out in record numbers to vote for the marriage definition and against the domestic partnership initiatives and, while they're at it, against this law.

2) The wording in the blue book is so biased that even I would have voted against it if I hadn't taken the time to actually look up the Revised Statute. It states that under the new law it would be legal to transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to anyone over 15 years of age, without mentioning that if you sold it to someone 15 years old today you wouldn't punished under this statute because it would only be a $100 fine, instead you would be charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor.
                    I think it certainly has the possibility to pass, as I know many 18-24 year olds who registered solely to vote for this amendment. I see it passing by a very narrow margin, same with referendum I. Not that it really matters, considering federal law still prohibits possession.
                    Last edited by thebleakaffinity; 10-19-2006, 03:01 AM.

Comment

yeah, but if 2 states pass possession laws, many more will shortly follow suit (i.e. oregon and california who are both drooling for something like this based on their previously overturned laws) and eventually it wont make sense to have a national law that conflicts with the laws of several states and it'll change.
                      should it be successful in passing, i see marijuana becoming the new tobacco industry, however more closely regulated by the government. its simple economics at that point. the country has more to gain by selling pot through "state sanctioned vendors" than it does to prohibit it and continue spending billions of dollars of drug enforcement over a drug which a.) you cant overdose on and b.) isnt even enough to charge a felony for over posession.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
                        I know many 18-24 year olds who registered solely to vote for this amendment.
                        Wow, that's kinda sad.
                        ---
                        Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

i dont see it as being sad, they're registering to vote for something they feel passionate about. is it any more sad to register to vote on tax laws, or environmental issues, or because someone you particularly like is running for office? as i see it, its just another issue which other nations have resolved without problem and we're working toward that end. i'm not particularly a proponent of smoking marijuana, but it doesnt bother me. statistically, alcohol is much more dangerous and the laws regarding marijuana use are antiquated and have no moral basis in today's society other than we were raised to believe that it is "wrong".

Comment

I kind of agree with you Ferris, but I also think it's sad that, with so many truly important BIG ISSUEs out there, this issue would be the one that motivated a group of young people to become involved in shaping their futures through the political process.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              i dont see it as being sad, they're registering to vote for something they feel passionate about. is it any more sad to register to vote on tax laws, or environmental issues, or because someone you particularly like is running for office? as i see it, its just another issue which other nations have resolved without problem and we're working toward that end. i'm not particularly a proponent of smoking marijuana, but it doesnt bother me. statistically, alcohol is much more dangerous and the laws regarding marijuana use are antiquated and have no moral basis in today's society other than we were raised to believe that it is "wrong".
                              Well, I think it's sad that a 24 year old, or even a 19 year old, wouldn't have registered to vote anyway. And yes, to answer your question, I think it's a shame that out of the other issues out there like tax laws, or environmental issues, or voting for people capable of reinstating the draft, or electing the judges that decide who goes to prison for how long, or the sherriff who leads the forces that try to keep the rapists away from your baby's mama, that the one thing that would finally motivate a twenty-something to vote is a symbolic statement that he'd like to be able to smoke weed.

But NONE of that was what I was referring to, I just forgot to bold the part I was focusing on:

I found it sad that he knew "many" of them.
                              ---
                              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X