CNN shows insurgent video of GI being sniped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN shows insurgent video of GI being sniped

I assume most of you have heard about this. For those who haven't, CNN has run a video it received from an insurgent group in Iraq in which a sniper and the cameraman observe a GI, then kill him. At the moment of impact the screen goes black.

I didn't want to prejudice this with a quoted article from one source or another. I am curious to know your thoughts on the matter. It strikes me as an important moment in the history of the media's relationship with the armed forces, and the media's role in warfare.

Re: CNN shows insurgent video of GI being sniped

Irresponsible and all for the ratings. Pretty much reinforces my existing opinion of mainstream news programs - it's more drama/entertainment than actual news.

People already know that insurgents are killing US soldiers. This video is unneeded and sensationalist, most likely designed to draw viewers rather than to inform.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Although I have not watched the video, not a big fan of showing this kind of stuff.

Granted it is the truth, and the American public should have access to it.

Sadly the media has a product to sale. When people watch it they may stay tuned to watch the commercials, the whole reason the show is on the air.
      I am worried that this was not done in a respectful manner to the slain warrior.

No way I watch T.V. if I had loved in over there. The stress on the husbands and wifes much be sick high.

Orginally quoted by tau neutrino: "Irresponsible and all for the ratings. Pretty much reinforces my existing opinion of mainstream news programs - it's more drama/entertainment than actual news.

People already know that insurgents are killing US soldiers. This video is unneeded and sensationalist, most likely designed to draw viewers rather than to inform."

My thoughts exactly.

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Totally irresponsible on CNN. It is only helping the cause of the insurgents. It shows that an American is getting killed and that is suppose to have a negative impact on the war among the America people. Stuff like this piss me off!!
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Personally I think our ability to 'know' that insurgents are killing US soldiers is drastically incomplete until we see something like this. Afterwards, we understand the bare fact much more vividly much like when we read illustrative examples and analogies. A video, while still incomplete, is a major step closer to a civilian being able to comprehend what it is to engage in lethal combat. And what it means to ask and receive from someone that they do so in your place. I think it would be negligent of us to allow our soldiers to do this for us and then look away when we have the opportunity to understand what we are asking of them. And in our republic, I think NOT seeing such videos detracts from our responsibility to be informed citizens, in the most complete way possible.

That being said, I think as these videos begin to be aired in an escalating fashion between different networks, it would clearly be one-upmanship. But at the same time if the motivation for ratings and even sensationalism results in greater exposure of these videos, I would say the end is justifying the means.

As far as historical import into the relationship between warfare and media, I think the greater importance is the degree to which our populace understands the events surrounding our policies and better fulfill their role in our complex republic. The quote Jefferson:

Originally posted by Thomas Jefferson
          "I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power."
          Warfare used to be divorced from the media because a non-professional, non-standing army was fighting within our borders. This intimately acquainted our society with it first-hand either through direct participation in combat or by noncombatants observing it in their homeland. Education through the media was unnecessary. Now that that is no longer the case such uncompromising footage returns us to that familiarity and re-educates us. We are then able to secure our society from enemies to our popular will: be they other Americans misleading us from within our own ranks (however unintentionally) or foreign enemies attacking us directly.
          Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
          live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
          Friend me!

Comment

I don't see how this could be construed as irresponsible, from a moral point of view. It may or may not be what the "insurgents want," but I am not willing to take the opinion of these armed militias into account when determening whether I should or should not do something - morally speaking.

I do not want armed men in Iraq determining what I should and should not watch on my television.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Excellent post, ABRA. I don't think you can shy away from this kind of thing. This is what war IS. If anything, the video is also valuable as telemetry from the battlefield, and may even help soldiers understand how the insurgent snipers are moving and operating. If we are going to make intelligent decisions about anything military, I don't see the point in shielding rational adults from the facts, however ugly.

As for the shock value, CNN made it abundantly clear what you were about to see. Every viewer had ample warning if they did not want to witness this event.

That being said, I'm curious as to the editorial process that went into this. Anderson Cooper has, through most of his career, preferred to show as much ground-level action as possible when on location, so this fits in with his news-gathering style. Did they identify the soldier and investigate the circumstances of his life and service? What factors make this informational, and what sensational? As long as the video is presented in an honest, straightforward way, and not voyeuristicly, like "faces of death," I'm generally okay with the broadcast.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Orginally posted by ABRA: "I think it would be negligent of us to allow our soldiers to do this for us and then look away when we have the opportunity to understand what we are asking of them. And in our republic, I think NOT seeing such videos detracts from our responsibility to be informed citizens, in the most complete way possible."

I agree with this. Like I wrote, the footage is reality therefore it should be allowed to be seen by the American public.
                I just question the style of CNN in delivering this.

Orginally posted by ABRA: "But at the same time if the motivation for ratings and even sensationalism results in greater exposure of these videos, I would say the end is justifying the means."

I agree with this also. I sometimes forget how many people do not know of what exactly is going over there. Granted I do not either, but after reading a lot of non-fiction books i believe i have a clue.
                I can see were this footage can educate and stimulate others into seeing the truths of war.

Love the Jefferson quote. I am always shocked how the founding fathers had their stuff together.
                i mean a democracy means : power to the people. Knowledge is power.
                (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                  I don't see the point in shielding rational adults from the facts, however ugly
                  How are you going to filter out the other 90% of CNN's viewers?
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

So you believe the electorate is sufficiently irrational that we must deny them truth for their own protection? (Or were you just being snarky? ;))
                    sigpic

Comment

I'll stuff my personal opinions aside on this one (No Way!) and just ask some questions I am geniunely curious about:

How is this different than showing a surgical strike against an insurgent base? Why shouldn't a news organization show both sides of a conflict? Isn't that what balanced news reporting is supposed to be? It's not like this is fictional: the event actually transpired and it was shown. Are we going to assume that just because it shows an American soldier being killed that it's "ratings grabbing" programming? And if it is: whose fault is that? The media or the viewers?

Comment

I think that if a similar video were made by a US army sniper team and they shopped it around the television stations, we would not be discussing how it helps the electorate make informed decisions.

Comment

We show footage of tank and jeep crews shooting up trucks and other targets all the time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well maybe we ought to start showing sniper team movies too.

I hear you. But I think there's a difference between showing a building that gets blown up and showing a person being watched through a sniper scope then shot. Maybe there shouldn't be a difference, and we can all understand what happens, but still.

I just hate seeing a soldier get killed and I hate that so many people seem to feel "above" this fight. I wish we had more patriotism - the old fashioned wave the flag and support the notion of victory type of patriotism, not the bring the troops home defeated kind.

Comment

IMO a video of a soldier's death should outrage, not inform. And blame should be placed on the person who pulled the trigger. And his pals. And we should hunt him down and everyone who supports him.

That's what I mean by patriotism. We may disagree, but when someone shoots a soldier, we unite. That's gone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X