Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot

Usually I'd avoid such an easy target, but this is too rich to pass up.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

And, of course, Mr. Limbaugh's righteously indignant reaction: It's the fault of the "Drive By Media" for reporting his grossly misinformed and ignorant prognostications. You gotta give the guy credit for sticking to his ignorant guns when championing such a misinformed stance against someone who's nearing the end of his life with this disease. Not much credit, but credit nonetheless.

Hi ho.
    Beatnik

Re: Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot

Limbaugh is an ignorant buffoon.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

True.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Limbaugh is an ignorant buffoon.
        On this point we all agree?
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I was listening to Rush that day. At first he said that Fox must surely be acting to have such violent shakings, but then after a break he came back and apologized and said that he "stands corrected" because he didn't realize the effects of Parkinson's disease could be that severe. He wondered if Fox was on medication, and found out that Fox purposely had not taken his medication when he appeared before Congress or when he made the commercial.

Is Fox using his disease to evoke emotion in an attempt to get a Democrat(s) elected? Did Bush use footage from 9/11 to evoke emotion in an attempt to get a Republican(s) elected? Depending on your slant, either side could be considered guilty of sensationalism. But what do you expect? It's politics.

Comment

Anyone who offers opinions as arrogantly, unapologetically, and frequently as Rush is inevitably going to sound ignorant and cold, given enough time.

To sound so as often as he does requires talent... on loAAN from GuH-AAAWWWEEEEED.

heh. If you say so.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think all of this is a red herring. If Michael J. Fox is a "good" spokesperson for insisting that federally funded stem-cell research be expanded, Rush Limbaugh is also a "good" target to pick out of all the people who objected to his ad.

Here's the original Fox ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WB_PXjTBo

Here is a rebuttal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguJQ_dRPXw

Another conservative oped type noticed that the ad
              ...showed Michael J. Fox jerking spasmodically while extolling the benefits of the Democrat candidate & stemcell research.
              (another video showed) A Democratic fund raiser MJF went to THAT day. He walked in & shook hands like a candidate with no jerking in his body.
              I dunno. But the stem cell issue shouldn't be decided based on whether or not we like Michael J. Fox or hate Rush Limbaugh.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                But the stem cell issue shouldn't be decided based on whether or not we like Michael J. Fox or hate Rush Limbaugh.
                A very important point.

In my mind the MJF ad fingering the GOP as crappy on stem cell research is not much different than the GOP ads fingering democrats as crappy on security. Saying 'I'm going to die' if the reds hold the congress is no different than saying 'you're going to die' if the blues take the congress.

Now, Rush Limbaugh jumping in, well, he's a moron. What do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                  He wondered if Fox was on medication, and found out that Fox purposely had not taken his medication when he appeared before Congress or when he made the commercial.
                  Couple things.
                  1. The degree of visible tremor or muscle control is a matter specific to the patient and his medication. Visible tremors may be the result of medication itself, since some patients are rigid or non-functional when off medication. Since none of us know Fox's diagnosis, we should all just shut the frack up regarding his treatment.

2. Rush's comments are not designed to mock Fox, or even question his honesty. Their purpose is to deflect attention from the core claim of the ad - which is that one candidate approves of stem-cell research and the other opposes/approves/fails to coherently articulate his position. Classic attack-the-messenger.

3. AMosley - I would say that this ad is more policy specific than the general "security" ads I've seen. This one highlights a firm policy difference, not "you're gonna die."
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Topic please. Everyone agrees, now start a new thread about stem cell research if you must.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I don't like Limbaugh, but I think that this is largely getting blown out of proportion by the media due to the fact that he picked a poor target.

Here's a clip that contains the original commercial, and then about 1:30min of Limbaugh's criticism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pGY1P97L8

Basically his point is that, as others have said, the commercial is attempting to sensationalize the topic via exploitation of a victim that most everyone is familiar with and/or likes. He even mentioned that he understands why MJ Fox would choose to go off meds for things like this- just that he thinks it's a pretty sad tactic and perhaps MJF is allowing himself to be taken advantage of to further someone else's political agenda. But it's much easier to focus on a soundbyte where he's "attacking" MJF.

As Strag alluded to the idea, the MJF commercial for a democrat doesn't seem much different from the terrorist clip commercial in the other thread (These are the stakes) that is apparently from the republicans. Both use a strong (and perhaps sadly exaggerated) appeal to emotion in order to gain favor. Welcome to politics.

What would be interesting to me is whether or not Limbaugh would play fair ball and denounce a republican ad with a similar basis.
                      [squadl]
                      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                        I was listening to Rush that day. At first he said that Fox must surely be acting to have such violent shakings, but then after a break he came back and apologized and said that he "stands corrected" because he didn't realize the effects of Parkinson's disease could be that severe. He wondered if Fox was on medication, and found out that Fox purposely had not taken his medication when he appeared before Congress or when he made the commercial.

Is Fox using his disease to evoke emotion in an attempt to get a Democrat(s) elected? Did Bush use footage from 9/11 to evoke emotion in an attempt to get a Republican(s) elected? Depending on your slant, either side could be considered guilty of sensationalism. But what do you expect? It's politics.

Parkinson's disease is a degenerative and progressive disease that reduces motor movement associated with dopamine in the system. Think Robert DeNiro's character in Awakenings (which was set in a time before the first, flawed, drug L-Dopa was used to attempt to treat Parkinson's). Tremors are a side effect of the medication(s) he had to take, not evidence of not taking the medication. If he was off his meds you'd see a significant reduction in any motor behavior.

I agree it is a plea to emotions with the ad (not unlike the These Are the Stakes ad, but I'd say it's more similar to Christopher Reeve campaigning to get funds for spinal cord research), but yeah getting to see/hear the blowhard get smacked down on his opining - questioning that Fox would exaggerate his near-terminal illness - was very entertaining to say the least. Like I said, the disease is degenerative and progressive, meaning it gets worse as time passes. After 15 years, Mr. Fox is very much under the gun.

Straying off topic slightly, it is a very important issue and stem cell research shows (showed) a lot of promise for the treatment of this disease in particular. But to paraphrase "The Meaning of Life" - Every Embryo is Sacred.
                        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                          Parkinson's disease is a disease that reduces motor movement associated with dopamine in the system. Think Robert DeNiro's character in Awakenings (which was set in a time before the first, flawed, drug L-Dopa was used to attempt to treat Parkinson's). Tremors are a side effect of the medication(s) he had to take, not evidence of not taking the medication. If he was off his meds you'd see a significant reduction in any motor behavior.
                          Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                          1. The degree of visible tremor or muscle control is a matter specific to the patient and his medication. Visible tremors may be the result of medication itself, since some patients are rigid or non-functional when off medication. Since none of us know Fox's diagnosis, we should all just shut the frack up regarding his treatment.

I'll let you guys work it out amongst yourselves.

Comment

I have a family member with parkinsons (by marriage, so its not in my genes) so i've heard a good bit about it. The tremors are also highly sporadic and dont necessarily have to have anything to do with the medication. Depending on the severity and stage of the disease, the medication might not be sufficient to suppress the tremors and speech disorders.
                            Either way, on the topic post, Rush is an imbicile. 15 years ago, he used to make some interesting political commentary that was actually relevant. However, he's now know throughout DC as being the "howard stern" of political talk radio, e.g. - nobody likes him and the louder he talks, the more of an idiot he looks like.

Comment

It's not really inconsistent. Mild tremors may be present in the absence of medication when the person is at rest; however the tremors demonstrated in the ad are almost definitely the effects of being on the medicatiion.

But irregardless of the actual symptoms, Rush Limbaugh is still a big fat idiot. :p
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X