Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberals try out a new campaign tactic: Google Bombing

Interesting article:

If things go as planned for liberal bloggers in the next few weeks, searching Google for “Jon Kyl,” the Republican senator from Arizona now running for re-election, will produce high among the returns a link to an April 13 article from The Phoenix New Times, an alternative weekly.

Fifty or so other Republican candidates have also been made targets in a sophisticated “Google bombing” campaign intended to game the search engine’s ranking algorithms. By flooding the Web with references to the candidates and repeatedly cross-linking to specific articles and sites on the Web, it is possible to take advantage of Google’s formula and force those articles to the top of the list of search results.
    You can read the full article here:
    New York Times: A New Campaign Tactic: Manipulating Google Data
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Liberals try out a new campaign tactic: Google Bombing

This can't be good.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Google bombing is old news. Politicians manipulating us is old news. I guess the marriage of the two just isn't that noteworthy.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You can tell the NY Times is liberal because they're only 3 years behind the tech curve. Most other outlets are 5 out.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Don't really see how it's any different from any other brand of political advertisement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            Interesting article:
            You can read the full article here:
            New York Times: A New Campaign Tactic: Manipulating Google Data
            About time the liberal opposition grew spines. Kind of a weak choice of article though. It's all facts and then suddenly its opinions like "he carries himself as a waspy such and such" Still, its only fifth on the rankings. I'm not sure the links appear the same on other machines, but the top sponsored link on a jon kyl serarch is:
            Kyl Earns An "F"
            View Senator Jon Kyl's
            middle-class voting record here
            www.drummajorinstitute.org

Comment

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Comment

lol fenix nice bomb.

- -

Comment

That is a good example of a Google bomb.

I'm curious if this tactic was used against Democrats and liberal independant candidates if you would all have the same opinion. I think trying to manipulate search engine results in this manner is deplorable no matter WHO the candidate.

I would fully expect those who are anti-Republican to think this tactic is perfectly fine when used against Republicans, but I honestly don't think the opinion would be the same should the roles be reversed.

As for the effectiveness of this, it takes a bit of time to move a result up the SERPs.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Well, they've been pushing the google bombing on President Bush for a long time now. I can't quite remember when I first heard about this, but I'm pretty sure its been more than a year.

Although I think at some point a counter-bombing campaign pushed Michael Moore up to the number 2 spot.

(edit--does some research. All the way back in 2003, google bombing attached "miserable failure" to Bush. A counter-bombing put Michael Moore at slot 2, although he has since fallen down to about slot 6.)

Oh yes, and theres always the google bomb for Waffles!

Comment

I'm curious if this tactic was used against Democrats and liberal independant candidates if you would all have the same opinion. I think trying to manipulate search engine results in this manner is deplorable no matter WHO the candidate.
                      I'm certain we wouldn't all have the same opinion. Beyond that, we have to start focusing on individuals opinions among us.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                        Oh yes, and theres always the google bomb for Waffles!
                        LOL! Makes me wonder how many people voted for Kerry simply because of their love for crispy, golden brown, syrupy good breakfast food.

I know I did!

Comment

I would fully expect those who are anti-Republican to think this tactic is perfectly fine when used against Republicans, but I honestly don't think the opinion would be the same should the roles be reversed.
                          That's a pretty broad generalization there. I'm about as anti-republican as it gets and agree with you that in a political context it is not an acceptable tactic. I'd say the only thing that all people who are anti-republican have in common is that they're anti-republican.
                          Beatnik

Comment

It would require more than a handful of people to make this effective, right?

This an individual decision to do this. So there are more individuals linking failure to bush than their are linking failure to democrats.

This seems to me to be a democratic process where the people make a differance.
                            I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                              What sorcery is this?

Very interested thread. I am learning more and more about the internet super highway here at TG.
                              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement