• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball legend dies

Red Aurebach dead at age 89

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...8?FSO1&ATT=HMA
    sigpic

Re: Basketball legend dies

Some intangible things are inherent to every city. Red Auerbach was that to the City of Boston. Anytime you took in C's game he was usually in the stands, approachable and real. Near city hall there is a statue of Red sitting on one end of a park bench, inviting visitors and admirers to sit and chat. Red was not afraid of stating a brash opinion or taking it on the chin for the team when it was appropriate. He was a living legend amoung Celtic's fans, delivering a bulk of the organizations many championships during his many years of coaching and day to day team management. Red brought Bird to Boston for pete's sake. For that Celtics Nation will be eternally Grateful.

I was lucky enough to be around Boston during the eighties and would gladly call witness to an amazing and unforgettable 6 or 7 years that was manna from heaven for a basketball fan. The Boston Celtics of the early to mid eighties rank right up there with the best teams in NBA history. in 1986 Bird was making his swan song effort. The Green team had Bill Walton, Kevin Mchale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johson and Danny Ainge bringing it home every night. The pieces fell into place once again and the celtics won their 16th flag. Another piece of magic to hoist up to the rafters of the Boston Garden. With what was to come for the Green Machine in the upcoming decade some would say this was the zenith of Red's involvement withe team.

5 years ago my son and I attended an utterly forgettable Celtic's game. The highlight however was the Red Auerbach Bobble head doll given to all attendees. This sits in my office still today. My then 9 year old son saw Red walk by our seats with mouth agape. He tore open his bobble head doll and looked at me quizzically. The Bobble head looked like Red 20 years ago, in championship form. A far different picture than the man who he had just seen. Thought it a bit funny and a little sad.

Forever the Celtics have not had Cheerleaders--Red's decision early on that continued in later years. A statement to the importance of the game over flash and flourish. Do you know that The C's, in an effort to keep the revenue rolling in, started a cheerleading squad last season. Oh, it was called a dance team but everyone knew what it really was. Flashy girls in sequins cheering the team on...I mean c'mon right. I felt bad for Red, I did. He had been in the hospital earlier in the year and instinctively I knew he wouldn't be with us much longer.

Thanks Red-Here's hoping your cigar stays lit and the champagne keeps flowing.
    Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-29-2006, 10:09 AM. Reason: amended championship number
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well said grunt. What can you say about a guy that brought 16 championships to town:

(you thought the 80's were good - must have been good to be a celtics fan in the 60's.. talk about a dynasty!!)

Rest in Peace

Comment

Great hero of the game. Will be missed...

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X